Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Definition of "Electrodomesticos"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Definition of "Electrodomesticos"

Following this email I got from one of my mail forwarders today.....
    ¡Importante!
    Nueva Ley D.G.A.

Para Todos Nuestros Clientes:

El 21 de Junio del año en curso, la D.G.A. emitió una nueva ley en el Artículo No. 2 de la Ley No. 04-07.

Esta ley prohíbe la importación de electrodomésticos usados, que serán reembarcados o confiscados por la D.G.A.

Les hacemos la aclaración:
    Sí se puede seguir importando electrodomésticos nuevos, pero no si han sido usado anteriormente.

Así mismo, nos informaron que la asociación de Consolidadores y Mudanceros están apelando esta medida, pero hasta el momento queda prohibido por ley la importación de electrodomésticos usados.

Los mantendremos informado sobre el asunto,

Cordialmente,

-La Administración
    What is an "electrodomestico" then?

Is this the end of buying electrical equipment through ebay in this country?

Is a refurbished/2nd computer classified as used?

Will be interesting to see....and be warned everyone....I'm sure that when they have the choice of sending it back or "confiscating" it, I'm sure we know what will happen........

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't find any news related to the used appliances prohibition by aduanas in DR.
    Don't worry about that this people are not crazy to do that as they will become to be the most hated government in the historic of DR.
    They almost are....
    Dirección General de Aduanas - DGA

JJ

Post Thanks / Like

this would be the end of buying take out appliances from apartment complexes...and would mean the end of a lot of money for the Customs...

I was told that Customs increased the fees that they charged on a refrigerator to over 10000 pesos, which effectively removes these items from the market...You can buy a new one here cheaper...

HB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

All I see in their website is a new law prohibiting the LPG used tanks to be imported.
    I hope someone made a mistake.

JJ

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

¿Am I correct in trying to read that law, that it only applies to "USED" Electrodomesticos?

Don

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow, aduanas has facebook

Here's what they say
    Aduanas Dominicanas: AVISO - Comunicado | Facebook

Anyone Want to add aduanas as a friend? Jeje
    Aduanas Dominicanas | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

This was cleverly wrapped into the law against 5yr vehicle imports as a off the cuff remark after the meat of the law.

Clever, but this is not opinion, this is law. I'm just seeing if anyone can clarify the scope.

Sorry.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    However, Hillbilly made a point that customs really upped the duty on new refrigerators as well It appears that very few people who need a new refrigerator will be able to afford to keep their food cold with an additional over 10,000 peso cost for a refrigerator.
    With the government increasing the costs on everything they possibly can, maybe they will someday price themselves out of business.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

When will Leonel and his cronies understand that Customs is seriously holding this country back?

If I was in power I would abolish all duty on everything except vehicles. That would mean that there would be serious competition in the marketplace and not having to settle with over inflated prices for quality goods or Chinese crap.

How much of the revenue collected by Aduanas actually goes into the country's coffers? How much does the Aduanas department cost to run? I reckon if you disbanded it and studied the loss of revenue versus the expense of the department I bet there wouldn't be much left for the country!

Now, my reason for not exempting vehicles is that if they got too cheap, then everyone would have one. This country's roads could not take it, especially with the majority of Dominican's driving habits.

"Believe it!"
    Post Thanks / Like

In most Latin American law, "electrodomesticos" refers to electrical household appliances, and usually does NOT include computers, televisions, stereos, DVD players, other home entertainment equipment (these are usually classified as electronics, although computers and peripherals can be classified as informatics).

I believe the same is true for customs classifications, which would be the relevant law here. This term refers to things like refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, clothes washers and dryers, air conditioners, microwaves, ovens, stoves, and if it includes "small" electrodomesticos, it would include such as vacuum cleaners, blenders, coffee makers, clothes irons, toasters, hair dryers, electric shavers, etc.
    Last edited by Keith R; 07-28-2010 at 09:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast