Punta Cana Condo rental

dortrust

Jan 23, 2010
I am interested in anyone's experience with the purchase and rental of a condo. What are the hidden costs. What are the troubles? Do people socialize within the condo? I don't have any particular one in mind. Just trying to learn the ins and outs of condo living.

claufket

Jan 4, 2009
We purchased our condo in the middle of construction so it took some time for people to move in and for the place to come alive. Now there is a activity but not too much, which is exactly what we were looking for, and the reason we bought in a smaller complex. We have made very good friends there but there are others that we have not talked to yet.

It did seem like a never ending list of items when we were getting our place ready for rental, but we also wanted to make sure it was fully stocked so our guests were comfortable. We went through four rental companies before we found the company that we are using and we have been very happy with for a year now. My suggestion if you are looking to purchase is to rent a few nights in the complex that you are looking to buy. To avoid the never ending list you may want to look at a furnished unit. If it is an established rental they should have records of the rental income.

It really is up to you. You get out of it what you put into it.

canuk8068

Sep 15, 2008
We rented a condo in Cocotal for 2 months. It was a great experience. In that particular area hardly anyone spoke english so it was difficult to make close friends. The condo and the use of the Melia property was great including the evening entertainment. But there was a lot of "hiking" involved. For that particular condo a car should of been a must but because of the comments on this site I was afraid to rent one. I now believe that a lot of those comments were just hype! Groceries were a long distance but I used the Gwagwa (local bus) to get them. The people were all friendly and we did not have any problems.

Hope this helps.

dortrust

Jan 23, 2010
Would you mind giving the name of the complex you bought in? Is it normal to have privileges at a property if that property (such as Melia) own the condo's. So much to learn I don't know where to start.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
We bought in El Dorado through remax 4 years ago during the construction phase. All was handled well. we furnished it and rented it out using remax for the property managment. Now we use it ourselves and often we are here.
I dont want to rent it only because we are here so often are and sick of the resort scene. For the time we rented it out, it went well, no worries at all.
I am here now, and loving it, we cant imagine staying anywhere but our own place.
Robbie

dortrust

Jan 23, 2010
Our there very many americans in your complex? How far from the beach are you? Do you find everything you need near by or do you have a car?

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
we are 300 meters from the beach, around Los corales max 10 min walk, if we could get straight through via a path, about 3 min, but not possible at this time. not many english speaking here, mostly spanish, my spanish is minimal and now that I'm here i find its importance on a higher level than when staying in a resort. I rent a car, wouldnt be without one. Driving here is an adventure, eyes on all directions always. But, its necessary.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I should have mentioned you can find most of what you need right here, right down to a laundromat!!! But, the better prices are a 5-10 min drive. most servcies you need are here or you can walk. i see they are just opening a money exchange here too. We have restaurants, stores, bars, bakery/cafe,
cellular store, everything within walking distance. Lots of complexes within the immediate area to keep them busy. So, you could get by without a car if thats what you prefer.

john_tn

Jan 20, 2010
Recently, I bought a 1 bedroom condo in Cortecito. The condo was completely furnished and already setup for rental. It is about 7 minutes from the beach. It seems that there are always people around for socializing. If you have a good real estate agent, you should not have any hidden costs.

From my research, to be successful with a rental condo in DR, you must have a good property manager to look after the place and you must have good advertising to get good rentals. It is better to have transportation such as moped or car. Although, you could get by without transportation.

bonita1

Jul 31, 2010
My husband and I rented an apartment in El Dorado for 7 months last year... We were under contract for 7 months. We had all in writing, that we would get our deposit back... When we left the apartment they refused to give it back to us... We have repeatedly gone back there and they are either no where to be found, or say we can't have it because we left too early (when they knew the day we rented the apartment the date we were leaving). The electric is a joke. It would go out, and then we would get a huge bill, we think the people next to us were tied into our bill... Just be prepared for stress and headaches if you go to El Dorado.... wish we could get all that money back...

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
We own a condo in El Dorado, rented it out for 2 years now we use it when we come down, which is often. We have had no problems.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right,
if you rent a condo for 6 months or longer you get a better rate as a long term tenant, if you leave earlier you are not entitled to the low long term rental Fee, so the owner keeps your deposit to cover the higher Rent which you did not pay during the prior months.
that's usual and makes sense,
otherwise everybody would make contracts for 6 months or more, even when the visitors do just plan to stay 2 or 3 or 4 months, to get a cheaper monthly rate.
Mike

nicholas1

Sep 4, 2010
If ur planning to buy a condo I would tell u to deal with a reputable firm, you want to make sure u get title! Some condos have been sold without title. if u want to be very close to the beach El Cortecito or near Plaza los Corales will meet that requirement. los Corales has a Cuban restaurant were you can have breakfast. If and when you do buy and plan to stay in bavaro for extended vacations a car is a must. Distances are very far. I do my shopping in Higuey in La Iberia it's their Wal-Mart you can save a ton of cash on everything from soup to nuts. Shopping at the Marketas ur going to spend 30 to 40% percent more money and that's no joke. hope this helps

nicholas1

Sep 4, 2010
renting and buyny

If u want tobe close to the beach I would suggest something close to los corales. They're some nice condos there, also La Plaza los corales has a cuban bakery that's pertty good, u can have breakfast or lunch. As far is renting they're really are no hidden dangers just get the contract and the best price u can. Buying is another story , make sure u deal with a reputable firm. You want to make sure u get title and the condo hasn't been sold more than once. If ur going to be there for extended stays u have to have wheels! I do my shopping in Higuey about 45 mins drive . Food is expensive in bavaro. In Higuey u can save 30% to 40% on alot of things. D.r has a pace to it and it took awhile to get the hang of it . Once I did I really enoy being there. Hope this helps