Some questions

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I have a few questions to the posters here and it is about rehoming my aussie John Doe.

I want to understand why there is so little response to that thread and I have some conclusions made up in my mind for that.

1. People don't like dogs, perfectly normal as the majority of people all over the world do not care about or like dogs.

2. People here are more "sensitive" to the call of adoption questions from streetdogs where you know nothing about the history of the dog then of a dog with a known history.

3. That leads me to my third conclusion : people are more willing to take the risk of taking in a stray dog with all the consequences in its future life then taking in a dog where you know what to expect from and therefore you can take your "precautions" with him.

4. People are more sensitive to that oh so poor poor stray dog that has not been eaten for a long time, has been beaten, is skinny and they feel themselves the rescuer of that poor four legged animal.

5. What happens with the straydog with no history, when he becomes violent or misbehaves in any situation ? Must I understand from this that its easier to throw a straydog who when fed well and is gaining again some confidence that its easier to throw him back on the street then taking in a dog who is very well taking care of from somebody who is "watching" his progress with his new owners?

6. I conclude nr. 5 because I have never heard of behavioural therapists for dogs in the DR so I must conclude that people or trying to fix the problems that such stray dogs will have, or either try to fix them themselves or either just give up and put the dog back on the street with the idea it was a stray dog, so he can survive again on the street.

These are just some of my own conclusions but feel free to try to convince me otherwise.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
You came to all those conclusions because of a lack of response on this forum?

Oh dear!

DR1 does not encapsulate the entire English speaking populous in the DR you know!

What did you say in another thread about putting people in boxes?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I think MANY of the DR1 members are indeed real dog lovers and already have more than one dog. You stated in your post that your dog wants to be the "alpha male" and "doesn't tolerate other male dogs or cats". This would make it almost impossible for anyone who already has a male dog or a cat to offer him a home.
He is a beautiful dog though so good luck!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As I told you in Jarabacoa the other day, I already HAVE a BIG ALPHA that would eat that little thing for a snack...Tosa are sweet but huge and have to be #1...

I think you might be right about taking in street dogs, but let me tell you that Dominican do not very often take in street dogs. They are more apt to run over them or throw rocks at them. It is only the weepy, bleeding heart, nice foreigners that were brought up thinking dogs were nice pets that take in strays...

I really think you will have to be very patient before that dog will find a home. They are so beautiful and active....Acira (the dog) won my heart....I have been talking about her for the last three days, to everyone who comes by...David's arm is still sore from trhowing her toy!! What a fabulous dog!!

I think John Doe will find a home, you might not find it here on DR1, but I am sure he will be settled before the end of summer...

Thanks again for the wonderful coffee and hospitality...

Cordially,

HB

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
You came to all those conclusions because of a lack of response on this forum?

Oh dear!

DR1 does not encapsulate the entire English speaking populous in the DR you know!

What did you say in another thread about putting people in boxes?

I am not saying that my conclusions are completely correct - hence this topic.
Conclusions is maybe the wrong word, searching for explanations is maybe better so that diminish your thinking that I put people in boxes.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Well, as for me I have a dog already & that's all I can accommodate.

Australian shepherds tend to be energetic and require a good bit of exercise as far as I know. Many DR1'ers can't accommodate that in their condos or small yards. Those who want a guard dog, might possibly already have one or want in the future to get another & see potential problems from your description.

And, while trying to be extremely honest in your evaluation of John Doe... you probably gave people some concern about him being around other animals (though you do say the problem is only within what he considers his home domain).

Why you've not received a response yet, I can't say for certain. In time, I'm sure you'll find a home for him. Just keep the other thread alive by making a new post "still looking for home" once a week or so.

Also note, your thread title is "Looking for a new home". Some that want a dog may never open that thread as they think it pertains to someone moving to or relocating within the DR.

Good luck!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As I read CFA's post I remembered a nice British couple that recently moved to the North Coast and have a large yard..It would be perfect for John Doe!! My sone is going there tomorrow and I will ask him to ask these people if they are interested...

It just sort of clicked!!

HB

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Well, as for me I have a dog already & that's all I can accommodate.

Australian shepherds tend to be energetic and require a good bit of exercise as far as I know. Many DR1'ers can't accommodate that in their condos or small yards. Those who want a guard dog, might possibly already have one or want in the future to get another & see potential problems from your description.

And, while trying to be extremely honest in your evaluation of John Doe... you probably gave people some concern about him being around other animals (though you do say the problem is only within what he considers his home domain).

Why you've not received a response yet, I can't say for certain. In time, I'm sure you'll find a home for him. Just keep the other thread alive by making a new post "still looking for home" once a week or so.

Also note, your thread title is "Looking for a new home". Some that want a dog may never open that thread as they think it pertains to someone moving to or relocating within the DR.

Good luck!

That I am being honest with the history of John Doe has all to do that I want him to find a final good home. I don't see any reason to hide the truth about his history and then to have people being disappointed.

John Doe is not a violent dog, I think like you say many people mis interpreted that, he is a sweet dog but doesn't agree with other male dogs on his property.

I will take you suggestions in consideration, thanks!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
As I read CFA's post I remembered a nice British couple that recently moved to the North Coast and have a large yard..It would be perfect for John Doe!! My sone is going there tomorrow and I will ask him to ask these people if they are interested...

It just sort of clicked!!

HB

Thank you HB, much appreciated!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
DR1 is large, but you'd be amazed at the thousands of expats that don't know or care it exists, not to mention the 9,000,000 Dominicans.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
DR1 is large, but you'd be amazed at the thousands of expats that don't know or care it exists, not to mention the 9,000,000 Dominicans.

Why is it then that if somebody post a thread here about searching a home for some street dog they found is being almost immediately adopted by some one via this board?

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I am a huge animal lover, and would have considered John Doe, except for the cat.
We lost our Jack Russell awhile ago, but still undecided as to whether the time is now for a new love. However, that being said, the cat was here first and whoever comes next must fit with us and our lifestyle. Again, condo dwelling does not suit all dogs, which is one reason many cannot offer homes to all the dogs/cats they would.
I agree with HB, John Doe will find the right home, with the right family, patience maybe required. Before I came to the DR, I needed to find the right fit for a very active (ADD), German Shepherd. She finally found a new person and place to love!!
The opportunity for this beautiful dog will tug on the right heart strings and a new
relationship will begin!! Have faith and patience.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Why is it then that if somebody post a thread here about searching a home for some street dog they found is being almost immediately adopted by some one via this board?

Although I rarely disagree with you, I feel in this instance that I must as it is rare that a street/ beach dog is happily rehomed via the DR1 forums. Although I am well involved with www.aaasosua.com - Friends of the Animals, very few of those type of doggies have been adopted as far as I am aware.

On the other hand, a number which I have posted about including most recently Lucky (the Rottie pup), Luca (the Dobermann), Barney (Rottie x Dobermann) and Millie (Dobermann) have all found new good quality homes.

In the instance of John Doe, I would just suggest that the right 'match' for him has just not come along as yet and, as Black Dog rightly points out, many have other male dogs and therefore that precludes them from offering to adopt John Doe.

Be patient, Acira, he is a truly beautiful boy and I am certain that he will soon be spotted by the right people or someone will know someone who will be delighted to have him as their friend, companion and protector.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Although I rarely disagree with you, I feel in this instance that I must as it is rare that a street/ beach dog is happily rehomed via the DR1 forums. Although I am well involved with Asociacin De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sosa, Inc. - Friends of the Animals, very few of those type of doggies have been adopted as far as I am aware.

On the other hand, a number which I have posted about including most recently Lucky (the Rottie pup), Luca (the Dobermann), Barney (Rottie x Dobermann) and Millie (Dobermann) have all found new good quality homes.

In the instance of John Doe, I would just suggest that the right 'match' for him has just not come along as yet and, as Black Dog rightly points out, many have other male dogs and therefore that precludes them from offering to adopt John Doe.

Be patient, Acira, he is a truly beautiful boy and I am certain that he will soon be spotted by the right people or someone will know someone who will be delighted to have him as their friend, companion and protector.

We cannot alway's agree with each other, would be boring you know ;)
Thanks WB, we are still looking and writing to people with pictures of John Doe.