Travel Ideas- Things to do- Itinerary Suggestion

alaska1986

Hello all
It appears that I will be headed back to the DR for my 3rd trip in Dec 2010 (around the 17th). I will be there for about 18 days. On my first trip (July 2009) i did the gringo thing stayed in a resort in puerto plata (Grand Oasis Marien) and met some great friends who I returned (while staying at Hotel Sunshine in Puerto PLata and Hotel Atarazana in SD) to spend time with again when I returned in Dec 2009. I did the usual city tour in Puerto Plata, went boogey boarding in cabarete, visited Punta Rusia, and even went to a campo (Quebrada Honda I believe). I also was able to visit the tourist sites in Santo Domingo and went to some wonderful restaurants and enjoyed the nightlife (thanks to suggestions from this board). I have hit the colmados, been fortunate enough to see Antony Santos in concert, been to the markets, chilled on the Malecon and stuff and have developed a good network of friends there (most in Puerto Plata, one in Santo Domingo).

While I understand a good amount of the culture involves karaoke sitting around at the colmado and drinking and dancing or cruising around, I thoroughly enjoyed experiencing and learning about the culture and I am looking to continue my education and fill my travel to the DR with more activities (nothing wildly expensive) in the form of maybe jetskiing, exploring islands, snorkelling, concerts, scuba diving, hiking, exploring remote locations and just seeing how people live. I wanted to get some suggestions on what to do, where to visit in the DR (should I go in December when family members come home or wait for Carnival in February?). My friends are in Puerto plata and will likely be working and wont be afforded the opportunity to travel with me much. I spoke enough Spanish to get by solo last trip and have been studying a bit so the language shouldnt be a problem. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Given what you want to do this time it might be worth checking out the South Coast. To the east of Santo Domingo you could stay in a charming boutique hotel in the fishing village of Guayacanes - esmerelda - more intimate than an AI and cheaper. You would be in the middle of the village for the dominican experience - colmados, dancing etc. If you want something cheaper you could go 10 minutes east and stay in the backpackers hotel Fior di Loto in Juan Dolio - more touristy but rooms start at 10 US$ a night.

from there there are tours to the two islands of Catalina and Saona - about an hour away at most. There is excellent scuba diving on the south coast - from Esmerelda and also a couple of resorts in Juan Dolio. You can go to a baseball game in nearby San pedro, the amazing caves just outside San pedro. You can also go to Altos de Chavon and Casa de Campo the other side of La Romana about an hour away.

The other option may be to go west of Santo Domingo and go to Barahona and points west - great if you are into hiking and eco tourism - I am sure the guys there will chime in!!

Matilda