Cabarete to Las Galeras?

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
We've decided we'd like to spend 2 nights in Las Galeras to explore the snorkeling and beaches there. We'll be staying in Cabarete the majority of our trip in September. I've heard a cab to Las Galeras can be ridiculously expensive. Are there any buses that go from Sosua to Las Galeras? Or if not Las Galeras at least from Sosua to Las Terrenas and then we could take a cab from Las Terrenas to Las Galeras? Any way to travel from Cabarete to Samana relatively cheap?

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
:)

In 2006 I took the bus (Caribetours) from Sosua to Samana, then from Samana, got in the back of a pick up truck with others headed to Las Galeras, and was dropped off by the side of the road near Guarinquen which at the time was an Italian ecolodge that offered light breakfast and coffee, little cabins, for 15 a night. The next day walked back up to the highway, flagged down a concho, and went to Playa Rincon. I am not lying when I say six hours passed by like one hour. Do it. We (I was traveling with a little one at the time) had fresh fish for lunch right there and enjoyed every second.

From Samana to las Galeras it was a bumpy ride!!

Jan 17, 2009
CaribeTours is not offering service from Sosua to Samana. There is one small bus service run by a company in Puerto Plata. I believe is Papagayo or something like that. The first bus stops in Cabarete around 7am. I have tried to call them many times to verify the time, but never got anyone to answer.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I have been trying to gauge at what time that bus comes through Cabarete, and it seems to be coming through at around 7 - 7:30am....old big blue bus, with a sign Puerta Plata - Samana on the driver side window....hope this helps...if you want a driver let me know

North coast newbie

Jul 30, 2006
The bus to Samana comes through Cabarete anywhere between 6:45 and maybe as late as 8:00 depending on how many stops it has to make coming from Puerta Plata. I would describe it as purple in color. Just wait at the bus stop across from Janets supermarket and flag it down when you see it. It drops you off at a transportation hub in Samana. From there it is no problem getting a Gua Gua to Las Galaras. The trip will take about 6 hours as the road to Las Galaras is in bad shape due to pipe installation.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Thanks so much everyone! How much would this bus cost for 2 people? I know the gua guas can be kind of negotiable, but I'm guessing the big bus from Puerto Plata to Samana has a fixed price. Just trying to plan everything out and make sure it's financially feasible with lodging and everything. Also are there a couple restaurants in Las Galeras? I think we will try to stay at the Bed and Breakfast owned by Catherine, but I just want to make sure we will be able to eat lunch and dinner. Doesn't have to be anything fancy just affordable and relatively convenient since we won't have a car.

Nabreu

Apr 26, 2016
Hi, just wanted to give a quick report on taking public transit from Cabarete to Las Galeras today. I called one day before the trip to Transportes Papagallo (809) 749-6415, and in Spanish we arranged to be picked up in front of Janet's supermarket at the bus stop (covered waiting area next to a school on the main road) heading east at 7:30. The minibus arrived at around 7:50, and was half-full. Instead of purple the van was light/dark blue. It was no frills, 300 pesos each, with intermittent music blaring over the central audio system, but professional. We had two quick reststops to get some snacks and/or use the bathroom. We requested to go to Samana bus station for the guaguas to las galeras. We had to reiterate that we wanted to go to Las Galeras and not Las Terrenas, as our driver had initially thought, and so did not get off at Sanchez but continued into
Samana without problem. It took about 3.5hrs to get to Samana, and after getting to the guagua station there,we passed through a thicket of motoconchos and asked around for a guagua to las galeras, which turned out to be a pick-up truck with some benches in the bed of the truck to throw some people in the back. There was a sign up front signaling the trip to Las Galeras, and after loading my sole carrying into the back and getting enough people to go, we drove onward to Las Galeras. It was slow at first, trying to pick up additional passengers through Samana, and with occasional stops along the way for the driver or passengers, but ultimately got us to the main intersection at Las Galeras after about 1 hour for 100 pesos each. All in all, it worked out well and for a good price, and would highly recommend calling to confirm the pickup time and location with the Papagallo team before making the trip.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
This (2010 to 2016 gap) kinda' makes me wonder if posts that have no activity for one or maybe two years wouldn't be better archived. That is viewable but not active to responses.

wbr

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This (2010 to 2016 gap) kinda' makes me wonder if posts that have no activity for one or maybe two years wouldn't be better archived. That is viewable but not active to responses.

wbr

The response is actually on topic, and best that it be in an existing thread for someone that might need the information in the future.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The response is actually on topic, and best that it be in an existing thread for someone that might need the information in the future.

yep. i thought about deleting/closing but the post is informative so it stays.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks so much everyone! How much would this bus cost for 2 people? I know the gua guas can be kind of negotiable, but I'm guessing the big bus from Puerto Plata to Samana has a fixed price. Just trying to plan everything out and make sure it's financially feasible with lodging and everything. Also are there a couple restaurants in Las Galeras? I think we will try to stay at the Bed and Breakfast owned by Catherine, but I just want to make sure we will be able to eat lunch and dinner. Doesn't have to be anything fancy just affordable and relatively convenient since we won't have a car.

Hi:

If you can afford it rent a car for a couple of days. You can make the trip at your leisure. It is a fairly easy ride. You stay on the main road, Rt. 5, all the way. The only tricky part is going through Nagua and you look for the signs for Samana. Once you come through Nagua continue straight for about another 40 minutes into Samana City. As you come throught town the Bay and Malecon will be on your right. Follow the road as it starts to go up the winding hill and at the top eventually straightens out. You continue on the same road for about about 30 minutes and the road literally ends at the beach in Las Galleras. I would also go the Rincon and check that out. Good luck and good travels.