Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Violence Against Women

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Violence Against Women

From DR1 News today

So far, 51 women have been killed by their partners in 2010, and that number has probably increased by one with the discovery of a female victim in the conjugal cells of one of the nation's prisons. This official figure exceeds the number recorded this time last year by 10, according to Roxana Reyes, Assistant Attorney General for Women's Affairs. Reyes said that the number is far greater than in countries such as Spain with more than four times the Dominican population, estimated at ten million, Reyes told Listin Diario reporters during a ceremony at a foundation that works to end family and gender violence.

Talking to a reporter from the Spanish news agency EFE, Reyes said that after a reduction of cases in 2008 and 2009, the number of cases is rising this year.

She said that women are becoming aware of their ability to complain to the authorities and she said that 20,000 reports have been filed.

She also said that the Dominican Republic is the sixth country in the world where men most frequently commit suicide after killing their partners.

The Foundation "Vida sin Violencia" honored Solange Alvarado for her work against family and gender violence.

WHAT is UP with this? Really shocking.

Does anyone have the link to the orginal Spanish study which placed the DR 6th? I did a story on this but could never find the orginal report.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

its not shocking to me. its all ive seen my whole life amongst dominicans. doesnt matter what social class: domestic violence is common, accepted and swept under the rug. dominican women are practically moving targets, if you look at the stats and take into account exactly how many do NOT report--most dont.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    the Dominican Republic is the sixth country in the world where men most frequently commit suicide after killing their partners..
    It's a shame that they just don't kill themselves BEFORE...........

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to know, what these women are doing to deserve a violent death like these? I am sure they were not just reading their bibles in a room and the crazy man came in and shot her on the face.
    before you guys come to simple conclusion, you really have to peek inside the barrios and in personal lives of these people who have fallen victims to horrible crimes.
    AZB

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    I would like to know, what these women are doing to deserve a violent death like these? I am sure they were not just reading their bibles in a room and the crazy man came in and shot her on the face.
    before you guys come to simple conclusion, you really have to peek inside the barrios and in personal lives of these people who have fallen victims to horrible crimes.
    AZB
    Is there really any reason to take a womans life, regardless of what she has done. The man should just man up and walk away....like I had to.....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

oh yeah. im sure women are always asking for it when they get beaten regularly. the fact that the majority get beaten im sure is "no biggie". its only serious if theyre killed and even then itll be said they deserved it. MOST of the time its abuse thats escalated out of control, thats what it is. went from shaking, to slapping, to punching, to choking, to grabbing a machete and chopping her into 9878766 pieces. im sure if they werent so big mouthed and flirty it wouldnt happen. *sarcasm*

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women

The post above #11 has a bad link....this works

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    AZB
    I love AZB, But not today dude..You are one of the best posters on DR1, but you just said one of the stupidest things ever.. NO one deserves to be killed by thier mate, no mtter what they have done to you..

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand from where AZB is coming, but to kill a woman just because she was being slutty around is not justified. Uno no se jode la vida por cueros, saque pie que mas pa'lante vive gente.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast