More Questions on Employment in DR

hairdivany

Jul 27, 2010
I'm sure these things have been asked a million times in the past, but since we are considering the DR as a relocation place, I thought I'd ask, please forgive me...

My husband is retiring from the US NAVY, at age 45 and will have his retirement, he's thinking of a business in the DR, a bar....

I am quite a bit younger then him and I would like to find some work in the DR, I have extensive experience in Payroll, Accounting, Insurance & Medical Billing & Coding. I also have US Banking experience, I worked as a bank manager. What kind of work could I possibly find in the DR? I understand I won't make big money, that's ok. Where can I look for jobs??

Thank you so much in advance, and we are looking in the Sousa area.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I would only open a bar if I didnt like to drink !
I dont think you will find any banking or accounting work unless it was doing accounts for a condo complex or something which would pay peanuts

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I'm sure these things have been asked a million times in the past, but since we are considering the DR as a relocation place, I thought I'd ask, please forgive me...

My husband is retiring from the US NAVY, at age 45 and will have his retirement, he's thinking of a business in the DR, a bar....

I am quite a bit younger then him and I would like to find some work in the DR, I have extensive experience in Payroll, Accounting, Insurance & Medical Billing & Coding. I also have US Banking experience, I worked as a bank manager. What kind of work could I possibly find in the DR? I understand I won't make big money, that's ok. Where can I look for jobs??

Thank you so much in advance, and we are looking in the Sousa area.

Do you speak Spanish? If so and you get quickly familiar with the accounting and taxation, labor laws here, you may have a shot.
The reason I say this is as you will see from a couple recent dead threads, that could not produce referrals...Looking for english speaking accountant/bookeeper... I believe there are and always will be expats/gringos who start and have small businesses even as shelters that need to have the minimum compliance submissions made, to keep legal with the DGI. As Jhartley mentioned they dont make much, but i know for a fact that some clients are paying anywhere from 5000-7000dop/month just to do zero info or minimal submissions monthly and then the one yearly yax filing where another 10k is charged...This doesnt sound like much but remember thats about one days work per month to do the simple stuff, and it grows from tHere as does the price...You could contract your services in this manner to many different clients rather than sitting in a chair working for one company making 20,000/month..

Bar in Sosua may be a bigger challenge as many have failed and are currently for sale. Unless you have something unique or buy an existing bar and inherut customers, its risky biz right now with low tourism and economy, but then again i believe if a hard working positive entreprenuer type can make a go anywhere anytime....my 2 cents