Haiti - It can still make me smile.

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
Haiti - Its an incredibly tough place to live and conduct business and certainly very frustrating at times. However most days if you keep your eye open you will find something to put a smile on you face.

Take this morning for example, in between meetings as I was reading the local newspaper, Le Nouvelliste, a full page of Management Positions for a new Power Plant currently being constructed caught my eye.

Now I have to hand it to the HR person who put these Position Descriptions together. No political correctness, no beating about the bush. Just straight to the point.
Read this excerpt from one of the ads and see what I mean and let me know if you cracked a brief smile.
OPERATIONS MANAGER:
Duties will Include:
  • Planning Operations
  • Managing Shi.t Staff
  • Fuel quality and quantity control
  • Operator training and development

Initially I thought that they may have made a typo however I'm leaning towards a Freudian slip as the HR person has obviously been here a while!!!

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Something to smile about?? Really in Haiti a country who has and continues to suffer through economic strife and distraught about the present and future economic and social climate. It needs to be rebuilt from the roots on up miles for mile inch for inch!!! The majority of people throughout Europe, USA,Canada, and Asian countries would not even consider visiting and vacationing in Haiti there are very few rare exceptions just as in any case. The masses throughout the world are horrified to even consider vacationing in Haiti in fear of poor infrastructure, security concerns and lack of tourist attractions and accomodations.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Something to smile about?? Really in Haiti a country who has and continues to suffer through blah blah blah....

Something to smile about? Absolutely - yes.
There is plenty of tragedy here and along with that goes a lot of comedy.
To be honest, if you do not laugh at some of the stuff you encounter here then you will not last long.

Even if your house fell down, your tent just got washed away, you are broke and hungry - if someone farts at the right time then it is still funny.

We still have a laugh out here....

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I think in times of challenge and hardship a sense of humor is what can get us through.

Anyone who cannot see a bit of humor just does not get it.

AND - babybori - that is a fairly new login - you just looking to give someone hell? Get over it.

Last edited:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Something to smile about?? Really in Haiti a country who has and continues to suffer through economic strife and distraught about the present and future economic and social climate. It needs to be rebuilt from the roots on up miles for mile inch for inch!!! The majority of people throughout Europe, USA,Canada, and Asian countries would not even consider visiting and vacationing in Haiti there are very few rare exceptions just as in any case. The masses throughout the world are horrified to even consider vacationing in Haiti in fear of poor infrastructure, security concerns and lack of tourist attractions and accomodations.

You read that in some poor ass students magazine left in the doctors surgery and just couldn't wait for an oportunity to repeat it, didn't you, lol. :pirate: