Kitesurfing in Cabarete

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
I will be in Cabarete next week and I want to learn how to kitesurfing. Should I enroll in a Kitesurfing or get a local on the beach to teach me? What is the best school in Cabarete?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i would go for one that uses the radio controlled headset- maybe they all do now ?
definately not someone off the beach , Im not sure they even do that

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
there are now 2 different categories, kite boarding, and kite surfing, but would still recommend Laurel Eastman as the place to go...going with a local can't be done on Cabarete or Kite beach

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
I started Kitesurfing lessons at Laurel Eastman. I wasn't impressed. I expect more for $65 hour. I am sure that they have some good teachers, but I got some young kid that wasn't much of a teacher. The 2nd day I called Wilson, he is a profesional kitesurfer who has been doing it for 12 years. Great teacher!! He charges $350 for 8 hours.

Jan 17, 2009
One-way or two-way radio?

i would go for one that uses the radio controlled headset- maybe they all do now ?
definately not someone off the beach , Im not sure they even do that

I was told a while ago that these radio headsets are one-way only: the instructor can communicate with you but you can't communicate with the instructor.

Can anyone confirm that this is so?

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I was told a while ago that these radio headsets are one-way only: the instructor can communicate with you but you can't communicate with the instructor.

Can anyone confirm that this is so?

Yes, thats the case, oneway communication.

Things to consider:

- Kite beach is extremely small now u have to land yr kite from the water. Kites ends up in the trees everyday...
- I know Wilson, great guy, great kiter, speaks good English I can imagine him being a good teacher. Othervise being a good kiter has NOTHING to do with being a good instructor. Its almost the opposite.
- Insurances. The major kite clubs have insurances - in case u hurt somebody, private teachers don?t. The kitelines are potential killers. Kite surfing is no walk in the park, the kite generates enormous amount of power and u need to be able to control it.

Good luck!

windfinder

May 28, 2007
Make sure you go to Kitebeach to take lessons , much better conditions to learn !!! Bozo Beach is not suitable for a beginner !!!!!

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Make sure you go to Kitebeach to take lessons , much better conditions to learn !!! Bozo Beach is not suitable for a beginner !!!!!

Well thats normally true but have u seen kite beach now??? There is almost no beach...Walking back take half the lesson time...unless the kite ends up at the trees that is.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I'm interested in doing some lessons too. So I thought I revive this thread. Perhaps people can feedback on their experiences and let us know about Bozo and Kite beach pros/cons and various schools/instructors.

I've already done 2 days somewhere else and I agree that walking back takes half the lesson hour - so count 2hr as 1+1 walking !

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Radio controlled headsets are not that important and somewhat of a gimmick. What you need is a good instructor. I'm on Kite beach and Charlie at F10 Beach Club or Bianca Farrazone who works on her own on the beach are two people that will get you up and good extremely quickly. It's the foundation that will matter most down the road. I've seen people on the water kiteboarding on the second day with a good instructor and people struggling still after three days with a poor instructor. Also, it depends on the persons/students aptitude... There are good deals on lessons and price does not necessarily indicate quality here. Talk to your instructor before you start and don't be afraid to walk away when you get here. There are about 6 good established schools/locations. In the end, give yourself three days of good wind and 9 hours of instruction and you should be zipping back and forth on the third day... Once your hooked though... you will really enjoy the sport...

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
I found a really good instructor named Wilson. Pm me for his contact information. He is involved and helpful. He works for a kiteschool, but I can't remember the name of it. It is located by Cabarete coffee shop.