Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Secret Tourist - Fun Royale Hotel

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Secret Tourist - Fun Royale Hotel

There was a documentary last night on the BBC, The Secret Tourist did a report on the Fun Royale/Fun Tropicale in Playa Dorada.

Here is part of what was reported:

This hotel featured on BBC Documentary "TheSecret Tourist", where lab tests showed the water pipes were contaminated with Legionella bacteria, which kills 1 in 10 that it infects. There were 100 times more bacteria in the tap than in the toilet! A large portion of the food appeared to be recycled and lab tests showed that their food was full of dangerous bacteria. What's worse is that the management were very obstructive when confronted with these issues and refused to acknowledge any problems.

Orange TV Blog: The Secret Tourist, Thursday 9pm, BBC One

Stay Frosty!
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't surprise me, the resort is falling apart.

Just what the North Coast needs, more bad publicity!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMV123 View Post
    There was a documentary last night on the BBC, The Secret Tourist did a report on the Fun Royale/Fun Tropicale in Playa Dorada.

Here is part of what was reported:

This hotel featured on BBC Documentary "TheSecret Tourist", where lab tests showed the water pipes were contaminated with Legionella bacteria, which kills 1 in 10 that it infects. There were 100 times more bacteria in the tap than in the toilet! A large portion of the food appeared to be recycled and lab tests showed that their food was full of dangerous bacteria. What's worse is that the management were very obstructive when confronted with these issues and refused to acknowledge any problems.

Orange TV Blog: The Secret Tourist, Thursday 9pm, BBC One
    Wouldn't the water from the tap come from the same source as the toilet? Saying the bacterial count was 100 times higher makes me doubt the credibility of the whole thing.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

they did a similar style one on a hotel in Blackpool uk which didnt fare much better, but they got more business from it from people going to see how bad the worse hotel in the uk actually was

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't hear of anybody being killed by Legionella recently in Playa Dorada.

And yes, they are correct, you should not drink the water - did anybody not know that?

Interesting factoid - recently they tested the windscreen washer water on British cars and found that 60% had Legionalla bacteria present.

While food prep and general hygiene should be a priority in resorts, these guys have go to be kidding.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that hotel is falling apart! Many of them in Playa Dorada have serious issues and need to be fixed up - or leveled and start over.

While the bad publicity is not good - lawsuits are even worse. Someone here needs to sit up and bloody well pay attention.

THAT reminds me - whatever happened to the governments program to establish a real STAR ranking of hotels? I thought that was done - why is it not implemented? Anyone know?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

mathew allright has a history of being in terribly researched programs....not the best presenter in the world

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Either way the info is now out there!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

A story like that tarnishes the entire island's hotels.
    I don't know that people differentiate exact location based on a program like that.

Stay Frosty!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMV123 View Post

THAT reminds me - whatever happened to the governments program to establish a real STAR ranking of hotels? I thought that was done - why is it not implemented? Anyone know?
    We haven't heard anything. I'm guessing it's on the "manana" list like so many other projects.

You have to remember, they love to throw parties here and spend money on announcing projects, basically grandstanding. But when you have no accountability or transparency, the money often gets used in other ways.

Back to the topic at hand. It doesn't matter if he's a bad presenter, or if window washer fluid is better to drink, it's bad press and it will be another nail in the coffin.

I have no doubt the response will be to try and discredit the report or take the "no es mi culpa" line that is so often used here.

It would make a nice change to hear someone actually say, we have a problem and this is what we are doing to fix it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast