Estimates please :)

ChrisandCan

Apr 29, 2010
Quick question:

My new employer pays the electricity bill for her employers. I plan to install an air conditioner and she is fine with it but is not willing to pay the extra on the bill. She says when can install the unit, but that we will be responsible for the additional costs outside of what the bill usually is - what do you think that would be approximately?

We are just going to turn it on when we get home at the end of the school day, if that helps with your estimate.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
How much is the bill now? That would be a starting point. How big is your place? How many rooms? What size is the air conditioner?

Answers to those questions will help.

ChrisandCan

Apr 29, 2010
Right :) Ok... it is a third floor apartment with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, dinning room and kitchen.

12, 000 BTU air conditoner.

I`m not sure what the normal bills are but I will ask and get back. I was just looking for how much you guys think the air conditioner would rack up.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Right :) Ok... it is a third floor apartment with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, dinning room and kitchen.

12, 000 BTU air conditoner.

I`m not sure what the normal bills are but I will ask and get back. I was just looking for how much you guys think the air conditioner would rack up.

How long is a piece of string?

From RD$0-3,000 monthly.

All depends on how long you leave it on?
Do you go over the 700kw threshold?
Is it sized right?
etc etc etc....

The only way to get a meaningful answer is test it for a month.
If you have the past bills, you will soon know how much on average the AC is costing you.

ChrisandCan

Apr 29, 2010
We plan on being as conserative as possible with the AC - meaning we will only us it as night and not leave it running while at work during the day.

I realize that I will not know how much exactly this will cost until we get there and see after a month, that`s why I asked for an estimate. I am just trying to get a ball park range because I am doing up a probable monthly budget.

Thanks

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I suggest you budget generously, based on your anticipated use. If you'll just keep your bedroom comfortable at night, figure an extra 60usd or so. If you're going to try to make it so cold you get complaints from your neighbors, it'll be much more.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Will you run the A/C only in the bedroom? Are the windows all airtight? What time will you turn it on and what time will you turn it off?

And what temperature will you set it at? At 24C it may be comfortable and not overly expensive. Set it at 17C and you will have a huge bill.

With an apartment that size I pretty much guarantee you will go over the 700 benchmark.

good advice you received - find out the average bill so far and then test drive this for a month.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Someone will jump in and correct my numbers, but if the A/C has a SEER of 8, and it is a 12,000 BTU unit, you will use about 1500 watts every hour it runs (1.5 KwHr). If you run it for 8 hours a day, that's 12 KwHr every day you use it. 30 days a month means an extra 360 KwHr on your electric bill. Check you bill and see at what usage level you have been using until now, and then calculate the added cost based on your usage.

If you really want to be conservative in your A/C usage, then look for a higher SEER number when you buy the A/C, and make sure it has a timer on the control. That way, you could switch it on an hour before you go to bed, and program it to shut off about 3 hours after you go to sleep, and the room will remain cool enough until you wake up.

If you buy a unit that has a SEER of 10, and then run it only 4 hours a day, your added usage would only be 144 KwHr per month on your bill.