do chemists sell vitamins and suppliments

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
this is probably a stupid question - but do chemists just sell medical things , I could ask myself but I hate those one word answers where they just say no and move on to the next customer , leaving you to slink out embarressed

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Ask your local chemist for the supplements (vitamins and minerals) from the brand GNC. Its a common brand here and very good but read the labels which vitamine or mineral it contains because all bottles are in green.

JR, are you that shy???

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Ive just never seen any in chemists ! I know la sirena has a dedicated area for such items- I never had to speak in shops in the uk so Im not used to it lol

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Should be easier now you know they are green bottles?

But Belgiank has a proposition for you, he is willing to send them to you by Caribe Tours...for a percent of course :bunny:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no worries, jr :)
is there anything in particular you want to buy? i can give you an idea about the spanish name of the product, labs making it and the range of prices.
apart from GNC there is nutrilite (amway), vitamin shoppe and few others.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
B1 benfotiamine
Methyl B12
Grapefruit seed extract
Threelac
Acidophilus
.........I think the last one maybe a character out of Gladiator

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I take one Prevenox daily, multi vitamins & minerals packed by Acromax Dominicana, sorry I can't remember the price but they came from a farmacia.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Jr, I am a supplement nut. :)
Yes, you can find some at the pharmacies, but supplies are not constant and perhaps you may find that some products are over priced or in doses which may not match your requirements.

As some have mentioned, there are a few GNC stores scattered across the island. Our closest one would be at La Sirena in Puerto Plata.
I must say that I don't like GNC much as even in the States they are not really competitively priced anymore and here their pricing is outright outrageous. Additionally, their staff could not tell the difference between Tres Pasitos and Vitamin C :cheeky:.

There is a "health" or "bio" store on the South side of Antera Mota. Just two or three block East off La Separacion (Central Park). They have all sorts of products, even some local stuff (some of which is quite good, like their fiber supplements) and Chinese herbs. Again, you might not find tomorrow what you found today there either.

You may also have seen that Playero's main store also caries some supplements and vitamins.

However, at the end of the day, you might end up drawing the same conclusion I have come to make, that it is just cheaper and often even quicker and simpler to order on-line from the US, get EXACTLY what you want and at reasonable prices.

Here are some of the companies I use mostly for price and products:

... J-D.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i will probably order on line - i was already shocked by codliver oil tablet costs, so something more unusual might send me over the edge

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i will probably order on line - i was already shocked by codliver oil tablet costs, so something more unusual might send me over the edge

jr, I'll talk to you in the chat room - I sell supplements, I can get them for you wholesale.

AE

May 29, 2006
One thing to look for is a suppliment for kids that improves appetite. It is a liquid B complex and very cheap at under $10 for about a month's dosages. I don't know about the seed extracts, but you might try at gyms and other such places where suppliments might be found. It will be much cheaper for such things if you bring your own. I was given some St John's Wort by an ex-pat but he said that it was not readily available locally for a reasonable price.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While I applaude the magnificent support you have received here, really positive, all of it, I am a firm believer in eating well...

Lots of fresh fruits, veggies and the odd bit of meat. Really, I am one of those nuts that believe that if you are not doing Olympic style physical training, supplements only benefit the companies that make them.

Having reached a pretty fair stage in life with no known issues, healthwise, I think it is one of those perhaps debatible things. But my kid the ENT says I am lucky...

And as a kid I drank water out of the hose, swam in creeks, walked barefooted more than shoed, drank Kool Aid and Coke (my teeth paid the price!), and all of that stuff that was supposed to be ": bad:" for you...

Anyway, I agree that IF you are going to go the supplement route a monthly package from overseas is best...

HB, a little ranting is good...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the B vitamins I listed are supposed to be in a form that stays in the body longer than other types - which pass out rather quickly, dont know how true this is .

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
While I applaude the magnificent support you have received here, really positive, all of it, I am a firm believer in eating well...

Lots of fresh fruits, veggies and the odd bit of meat. Really, I am one of those nuts that believe that if you are not doing Olympic style physical training, supplements only benefit the companies that make them.

Having reached a pretty fair stage in life with no known issues, healthwise, I think it is one of those perhaps debatible things. But my kid the ENT says I am lucky...

And as a kid I drank water out of the hose, swam in creeks, walked barefooted more than shoed, drank Kool Aid and Coke (my teeth paid the price!), and all of that stuff that was supposed to be ": bad:" for you...

Anyway, I agree that IF you are going to go the supplement route a monthly package from overseas is best...

HB, a little ranting is good...

Well, you are a big man, HB. "Us" skinny guys have to supplement to only make it out of your shade in a timely fashion and get noticed. :D

Really, I agree, food is medicine. You eat right, it can help you to a greater age and in better shape. You eat badly, it may sabotage that very dream.
Eating is supplementing, but the words "can" and "may" are very typical of the supplement industry.

It's a bit like smoking or not. Everybody knows an uncle who did nothing but smoke, and filter-less and lived to 90+ and died away peacefully with a smile on his face. And millions of people die from cancer, yes, even pulmonary cancer without having smoked, EVER.
But does that really mean that smoking is likely to be healthy?

I can't seem to do what I want to do, without some supplementation. Vitamins, minerals, cartilage derivatives and so forth. I don't "spray"!.
And eating in a rather complicate manner (5 to 6 small meals, NEVER cabs and fat together etc.).
But I did start to OD on Niacin (V B3) a few months ago... had to call Grahame until I found out what the heck was going on with me :D.
The supplement industry is a competitive one, so they outrun each other by offering OD-packages (unreasonably high single doses). Why buy 60 tabs of 100mg for 10 bucks, when next to it, the competition offers 120 caps of 400mg for 12.99!?
It takes a GOOD and open minded Dr. to accompany one or a LOT of reading BEFORE swallowing "stuff".

But then again, eating the wrong stuff or in wrong quantities can be as dangerous... and then, there are those who can take it all, or almost.

... J-D.

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Benfotiamine and carnosine

B1 benfotiamine
Methyl B12
Grapefruit seed extract
Threelac
Acidophilus
.........I think the last one maybe a character out of Gladiator

Are benfotiamine and carnosine available in the D.R.? If so, where can you get them in the POP-Sosua area?

(Benfotiamine is not available in the EU anymore. :disappoin Turned out it was working too well and is not classified as a food supplement anymore, it is a medicine.)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jr, we have none of the supplements you listed and we have a fairly well stocked supplements secion :(
i think it may be better for you to order online not only because it is easier but also a lot cheaper (a seller will put anything he wishes as a margin).