Gift idea for travelers

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
All the back to school ads running in the papers this time of year always reminds me of a need that travelers can help meet for just a few bucks. Stores like Walmart etc. sell #2 pencils at 20-24 ct for $1. For 5 or 10 bucks you can make alot of schoolchildren happy. They're cheap, pack easily and don't weigh much but are well appreciated by the kids. Take a package or two of cheap BIC pens, hi liters or red pens for the teachers to grade papers and you'll be a saint.

A couple years back we stopped at a small town north of Imbert on the way to la Isabela, called Vuelta Larga. What we thought would be a few minutes of us giving the school principal a simple gift turned into a more typical Dominican grand production. Why didn't we see this coming. She led us to each classroom and called each and every student by name to the front of the class and presented them with a pencil. "This is a #2 pencil. It is the best pencil in the world. It will help you with your classwork." On and on, student by student, the same message. So, if you're headed to the DR and want to make a tiny difference, grab some school supplies and stop at any ol' school in the campo. There's plenty to choose from.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Great reminder - but please dont go to the schools to donate. As you saw it is disruptive of class schedules.

There are lots of charities and groups to work with - Beyond the Beach - Canadian group on the north coast.

Reach out to Mike in PUnta Cana, I know he does a lot.

Some of the tour excursions distribute needed supplies.

Lots of options!!!

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
This was hardly disruptive. Have you ever seen a Dominican school during the "normal" course of a day? This actually made the kids shut up, listen up and eager to receive our gift. The principal delighted in the giveaway to her students. And I don't need a bureaucracy to help me with a bit of kindness.

Reactions: AlterEgo

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Well then carry on. I guess you don't need those of us who live here and see the results of the "education" system looking out for these kids.

I will reiterate my point - IF ALL THE TOURISTS WERE THIS SELFISH THEN THE KIDS WOULD GET EVEN LESS OF THE AVERAGE 2.4 HOURS PER DAY OF EDUCATION THEY CURRENTLY GET.

It is a great message you deliver of the "rich tourists" coming in on their white horses and handing out gifts.

Carry on!

Reactions: Africaida
Aug 21, 2007
Well then carry on. I guess you don't need those of us who live here and see the results of the "education" system looking out for these kids.

I will reiterate my point - IF ALL THE TOURISTS WERE THIS SELFISH THEN THE KIDS WOULD GET EVEN LESS OF THE AVERAGE 2.4 HOURS PER DAY OF EDUCATION THEY CURRENTLY GET.

It is a great message you deliver of the "rich tourists" coming in on their white horses and handing out gifts.

Carry on!

As a former educator and district administrator, I tend to agree with you, DMV123. Only problem here is that if we do not see the donations being given out, the principal/school director might just decide to keep the stash for him/herself.

At one time, I ran a program that collected donations of school materials for an undeveloped country. Once the supplies were handed over to the school directors, they were never seen again. When asked about them, the directors said they considered them too valuable to allow the teachers and students to use them. Sadly, I would worry that the same would happen here.

Lindsey

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I hear you Lindsey and have seen some programs that get around it. Having someone on the ground in the neighborhoods tends to get around that. Having someone distribute directly to the kids = after class = and someone who is not seen as rescuing yet gets the items to those in need.

It is not easy but it can be done!

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Carry on I will. I tire quickly with posters like yourself who without any knowledge of others, try to slam them with some adjectives they assume will apply. For nearly 37 years I've lived in, worked in, and visited the DR. As an ex Peace Corps volunteer living in the mountains near San Jose de las Matas w/o water or electricity for a couple years in the early 70's, I hardly qualify as "selfish" "rich" or "riding in on my white horse". We've returned many times since to work as translators on medical missions. We've brought down portable water purification systems for areas affected by weather. We always bring school and/or baseball gear to share with kids. Next you'll slam me for stopping baseball practice to donate some gear. Yikes, some Venezuelan kid will beat out a Dominican for shortstop cuz practice was interrupted! Reread my post. I didn't barge into classrooms. We took the supplies to the principal and she decided to make a presentation. I know nothing about you and your concern for whats best for the kids, but I think you can always make a point without making it personal.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Farmer - you are right I went to far and I apologize. I did not intend to say this about you specifically!!! You are right I know nothing about you personally.

When I hear this type of advice I do get on my soapbox - but because I care. I see too many tourists doing exactly what I was talking about. they bring family and friends to watch their "good acts" so they can feel better about their own lives. They disrupt classes on a regular basis.

So, please accept my apology on a personal level.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Now we're both rowing in the same direction. We've both seen the "ugly american" that makes you taste vomit in your mouth. Keep caring for the kids. I like that. We usually try to keep our giving spontaneous and low key with those who aren't expecting it. You've probably run into the "que me traiste" types who take all the fun out of sharing.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
You got it! But please don't limit it to just "ugly Americans" that is not fair. don't forget the Canadians, Europeans and Brits.....LOL

GENERAL MESSAGE

When we are giving and trying to help please make it about the people you are trying to help. It is not about you feeling better. It is not about your kids learning something! It is not about your kids realizing how good they have it at home! It is not about the photo op so you can show everyone back at home.

Show respect and compassion to those who have so much less then you, who need a hand UP, not a hand OUT. Best way to do that is assisting with educational needs. Help them learn and they change their lives, the lives of their families and future generations!

That is my soap box, I am done now.....;)

May 29, 2006
Even chalk can be scarce in some schools. The magnetic drawing boards for the kids are great. In rural areas, even paper can be hard to come by. Don't forget to bring something for the teachers. I like the idea of the classic hand school bell for them. The classic red "four square" ball is a good gift too for the kids.

I don't think visiting the schools is inherently bad, but it is best to keep a low profile as far as the kids are concerned. The rural schools we went to had no electric or water and it was basically a day care center. We stayed out of the classrooms except when the kids were out playing, which seemed to be most of the day.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
In my original post I mentioned that we donated the supplies in Vuelta Larga. We were on the road trying to track down a solar water purification system that a chapter of Rotary had donated. When we got to town we were instructed to the school. The administrators were so kind with their time in answering all our questions, we wanted to give back. We had planned to take the school supplies to a different area but sometimes the situation just finds you, not the other way around.

BTW. The solar water purification system worked like a charm for a year or two. Then somebody tossed a rock and broke the glass over the exchangers. That had been several years before we rolled through. So, with no real ownership in the system and costs to repair it impossible to meet, the kids were back to Plan A.