Help Haitians Get Papers?

Keklinge

Aug 1, 2010
Can someone please explain the process for Haitians to come the the DR legally? And for those that are here illegally now, are there any pilot programs that have been successful in assisting Haitians to get their papers? Any innovative pilot programs/ ideas to assist them in getting identification cards or work permits so they can become productive, integrated members of society and avoid (often abusive) deportation?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The process is simple.
Get a passport - US$90
Get a visa from the D.R. consulate in Petionville - US$100 for a 3 month single entry or US$200 for a 1 year multiple entry
Get on a bus.

The visa is automatic - assuming no criminal record.
The passport requires an Act de Naissance (Birth Certificate) - again relatively easy.

If the person has no Birth Certificate then they go to the place they were born and make a declaration of who they are and who are/were the parents and take this to Port au Prince where they will be issued a Birth Certificate. The declaration in their home town should cost around US$15 and the Birth Certificate around US$10 .Then they can get the passport.

People born of Haitian parents in the D.R. are usually recorded in the Pink Book. They can take this info and get their birth certificate in Port au Prince.
Older people born of Haitian parents may not have been entered in the Pink Book so have real problems. The Haitian authorities do not want to know and the Dominican authorities certainly do not want to know.

And if somebody comes back at me with "It all costs so much money and Haitians would never be able to afford this" then what on earth are they doing emigrating to a foreign country if they do not even have the money for the documents??

Sorry to sound harsh but if you beleive everything you read about how terrible the situation is for Haitians then you would start feeling sorry for them for entirely the wrong reasons.
And yes, it is still possible to get documentation organised since the earthquake. I have done it myself for some people.
The only difference for me was that I used the express passport service which cost me an extra US$100 and I got the passports in 2 days - not the 3 weeks that I would have had to wait. And instead of standing in line at the Embassy I paid someone who queues professionally US$6.25 for their place.

That is how you do it.
If you want to help somehow then give them the cash to do it. Everything else is automatic and requires no assistance. But again, if somebody cannot even afford the initial paperwork, why would they be thinking of emigrating in the first place?
They cannot work legally with the visa.

Once here legally they can start the residency process like any other expat in the D.R. There is no distinction.
Then they can get their Cedula, residency etc...

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Can someone please explain the process for Haitians to come the the DR legally? And for those that are here illegally now, are there any pilot programs that have been successful in assisting Haitians to get their papers? Any innovative pilot programs/ ideas to assist them in getting identification cards or work permits so they can become productive, integrated members of society and avoid (often abusive) deportation?

And a couple of other thoughts....

Perhaps you should be inquiring about how to obtain paperwork for Haitians to come to your country? Why the D.R?

And maybe talk to Dominicans about how they would feel about an NGO/Non-Profit whose aim it was to bring more poor people to a country where poverty and resources are a big problem among their own population?

I am not trying to be confrontational but it all seems a little ill thought out - very similar to the usual reaction of rich western nations who like to think they are helping but in fact are propagating a reliance on this help among the very people they are trying to help. This is very destructive in the medium and the long term.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
That way is better and safer!!! Pedro, Did you heard about the tragic accident in Villa Vasquez last night? Where about fifty Haitians who were driven illegally in two minibus crash each other as they was on the road with the head lights off and a big number was killed and other with serious injuries.

The driver was charging RD $ 3000. per person for the ride to a greener grass.

JJ

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Centro Bono of the Jesuit Migration Services helps a number of Haitian groups around the country and works with a lot of Dominican born Haitians who do not have papers.... trying to get them some sort of legal status.

As does Sonia Pierre's group MUDHA

Both of these are focused more on helping get papers for people who were Born here.. of Haitian descent.

Recently, I have heard reports of several Dominican Haitians who went to renew their cedulas and had that renewal denied.

The peculiarity of the two constitutions has left a population... estimated at about 10,000 ... who do not actually have rights of citizenship in either country. These are stateless persons and deemed the most fragile group.

It is true that all children born to Haitian mothers here in the DR since 2007 have a legal birth certificate issued here and filed with the Junta Electoral. The mothers must then go to the JCE and get the official copy, then go to Haiti to get their actual birth certificate. At first, it was planned that these would be sent directly to the \Haitian Embassy but that plan was scrapped.

As Pedro pointed out.. it is easy enough for any Haitian with a passport to get a visa to enter the DR. These can be multiple entry visas or even visas to set up a business.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Recently, I have heard reports of several Dominican Haitians who went to renew their cedulas and had that renewal denied.

The peculiarity of the two constitutions has left a population... estimated at about 10,000.

This statement is so wrong! I will bet a million dollar that you are an American! In the DR we don't have Dominican-Haitians or Dominican-Cubans or Dominican-Lebanese. We do not have hyphenated Dominicans, we are all Dominican only.

If their C?dula renewal was denied, is because they were not Dominican in the first place.

estimated at about 10,000 ... who do not actually have rights of citizenship in either country. These are stateless persons and deemed the most fragile group.

They are stateless because the Haitian government wants them to be stateless. Haiti can change its constitution to give those Haitians citizenship, like the DR did for those Dominican born abroad to Dominican parents :bunny:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
This statement is so wrong! I will bet a million dollar that you are an American! In the DR we don't have Dominican-Haitians or Dominican-Cubans or Dominican-Lebanese. We do not have hyphenated Dominicans, we are all Dominican only.

If their C?dula renewal was denied, is because they were not Dominican in the first place.

They are stateless because the Haitian government wants them to be stateless. Haiti can change its constitution to give those Haitians citizenship, like the DR did for those Dominican born abroad to Dominican parents :bunny:

Really --Have you never heard of Dominican Haitians? Where do you live? I hear the term all the time!

There are people who have gone to have their cedulas renewed and have been told that "they were faulty" since the mother was Haitian.

I think that the citizenship regulations for Haiti and the DR are the same.. if your parents were born in the DR or Haiti, then you are eligible for citizenship.

The problem has been that there are thousands of Haitians who have lived here for generations who have never been granted citizenship.. always considered "in transit" ... and so the problem.

Certainly this is not the first time that you have heard of this issue?

The DR is making a real effort to clear this problem up.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Reapresan hombre se fug? de c?rcel de Ban? el mes pasado - List?n Diario Digital

note that the paper of record uses the term "dominico haitiano"

so this is not some "American" making this up
Anny, Dominico Hatiano means that the man lives in Dr but is original from Haiti, as the Dominican constitution say that no born from haitian parents acquires the Dominican nationality.
Please understand this; La constitucion Dominicana se ajusta a la ley consanguineous...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Anny, Dominico Hatiano means that the man lives in Dr but is original from Haiti, as the Dominican constitution say that no born from haitian parents acquires the Dominican nationality.
Please understand this; La constitucion Dominicana se ajusta a la ley consanguineous...

no that is not exactly what the constitution says

and it is not consanguineous in that jus solis has not been completely eliminated

I am too tired to search it tonight

but will do so in the morning

what the constitution bars is granting citizenship to children of diplomats and to children of those who were born here to parents who are "in transit" or are here "illegally"

it also grants citizenship to those who do not have the rights of citizenship in any other country

perhaps someone else can find the relevant passages in the new constitution and post them?

the new constitution also gives rights of citizenship to those who

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
no that is not exactly what the constitution says

and it is not consanguineous in that jus solis has not been completely eliminated

I am too tired to search it tonight

but will do so in the morning

what the constitution bars is granting citizenship to children of diplomats and to children of those who were born here to parents who are "in transit" or are here "illegally"

it also grants citizenship to those who do not have the rights of citizenship in any other country

perhaps someone else can find the relevant passages in the new constitution and post them?

the new constitution also gives rights of citizenship to those who

Poster by Fabio J. Guzman in the Legal Forum:

Here is the new provision in the Constitution.

Article 18. Nationality. The following persons are Dominicans:

1) The sons and daughters of a Dominican mother or father;

2) Any person having Dominican nationality before the entry into force of this Constitution;

3) Any person born in the Dominican Republic, except the sons and daughters of members of foreign diplomatic and consular missions, and of foreigners that are in transit or who reside illegally in Dominican territory. A person in transit is any foreign person defined as such by the laws of the Dominican Republic;

4) Any person born in a foreign country, to a Dominican father or mother, despite having acquired, by place of birth, a nationality different from that of their parents. After reaching the age of eighteen, such persons may choose to acquire dual nationality or to relinquish one nationality, before the competent authority;

5) Any person who marries a Dominican man or woman, provided that such person chooses to acquire the nationality of his or her spouse and fulfills the requirements established by law;

6) The direct descendants of Dominicans residing in a foreign country;

7) Any person naturalized in the Dominican Republic, pursuant to the conditions and formalities required by law.

By the way, I'm in the process of translating the Dominican Constitution into English. It should be ready for publication by January or February at the latest. This is a first uncorrected draft of article 18.

I'll be needing two or three beta-readers, preferably lawyers. Those interested please let me know.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
For those that can understand better in Spanish...Like me!!!
Constitucion de la Rep. Dom. articulo -18
Son Dominicanos:
Las personas nacidas en territorio nacional, con excepci?n de los hijos e hijas de extranjeros miembros de legaciones diplom?ticas y consulares, de extranjeros que se hallen en tr?nsito o residan ilegalmente en territorio dominicano. Se considera persona en tr?nsito a toda extranjera o extranjero definido como tal en las leyes dominicanas.

No, no son Dominicanos los hijos de Haitianos nacidos en Rep Dom.

Nope, they are not Dominicans!!!

JJ

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
ok.. so they eliminated the pargraph on those who did not have citizenship rights under any other government... which was under discussion.

And does this mean that children who are born here to a foreign couple with legal residency are not Dominican? That the parents must be naturalized Dominican citizens?

(I realize that this discussion may be way above our pay grade here)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Art?culo 18.- Nacionalidad. Son dominicanas y dominicanos:
1) Los hijos e hijas de madre o padre dominicanos;
2) Quienes gocen de la nacionalidad dominicana antes de la entrada en vigencia de
esta Constituci?n;
3) Las personas nacidas en territorio nacional, con excepci?n de los hijos e hijas de
extranjeros miembros de legaciones diplom?ticas y consulares, de extranjeros
que se hallen en tr?nsito o residan ilegalmente en territorio dominicano. Se
considera persona en tr?nsito a toda extranjera o extranjero definido como tal en
las leyes dominicanas;
4) Los nacidos en el extranjero, de padre o madre dominicanos, no obstante haber
adquirido, por el lugar de nacimiento, una nacionalidad distinta a la de sus
padres. Una vez alcanzada la edad de dieciocho a?os, podr?n manifestar su
voluntad, ante la autoridad competente, de asumir la doble nacionalidad o
renunciar a una de ellas;
5) Quienes contraigan matrimonio con un dominicano o dominicana, siempre que
opten por la nacionalidad de su c?nyuge y cumplan con los requisitos
establecidos por la ley;
6) Los descendientes directos de dominicanos residentes en el exterior;
7) Las personas naturalizadas, de conformidad con las condiciones y formalidades
requeridas por la ley.
P?rrafo.- Los poderes p?blicos aplicar?n pol?ticas especiales para conservar y
fortalecer los v?nculos de la Naci?n dominicana con sus nacionales en el exterior, con la
**** esencial de lograr mayor integraci?n.
Art?culo 19.- Naturalizaci?n. Las y los extranjeros pueden naturalizarse conforme
a la ley, no pueden optar por la presidencia o vicepresidencia de los poderes del Estado, ni
est?n obligados a tomar las armas contra su Estado de origen. La ley regular? otras
limitaciones a las personas naturalizadas.
Art?culo 20.- Doble nacionalidad. Se reconoce a dominicanas y dominicanos la
facultad de adquirir una nacionalidad extranjera. La adquisici?n de otra nacionalidad no
implica la p?rdida de la dominicana.
P?rrafo.- Las dominicanas y los dominicanos que adopten otra nacionalidad, por
acto voluntario o por el lugar de nacimiento, podr?n aspirar a la presidencia y
vicepresidencia de la Rep?blica, si renunciaren a la nacionalidad adquirida con diez a?os de
anticipaci?n a la elecci?n y residieren en el pa?s durante los diez a?os previos al cargo. Sin
embargo, podr?n ocupar otros cargos electivos, ministeriales o de representaci?n
diplom?tica del pa?s en el exterior y en organismos internacionales, sin renunciar a la
nacionalidad adquirida.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Art?culo 18.- Nacionalidad. Son dominicanas y dominicanos:
1) Los hijos e hijas de madre o padre dominicanos;
2) Quienes gocen de la nacionalidad dominicana antes de la entrada en vigencia de
esta Constituci?n;
3) Las personas nacidas en territorio nacional, con excepci?n de los hijos e hijas de
considera persona en tr?nsito a toda extranjera o extranjero definido como tal en
las leyes dominicanas;
4) Los nacidos en el extranjero, de padre o madre dominicanos, no obstante haber
adquirido, por el lugar de nacimiento, una nacionalidad distinta a la de sus
padres. Una vez alcanzada la edad de dieciocho a?os, podr?n manifestar su
voluntad, ante la autoridad competente, de asumir la doble nacionalidad o
renunciar a una de ellas;
5) Quienes contraigan matrimonio con un dominicano o dominicana, siempre que
opten por la nacionalidad de su c?nyuge y cumplan con los requisitos
establecidos por la ley;
6) Los descendientes directos de dominicanos residentes en el exterior;
7) Las personas naturalizadas, de conformidad con las condiciones y formalidades
requeridas por la ley.
P?rrafo.- Los poderes p?blicos aplicar?n pol?ticas especiales para conservar y
fortalecer los v?nculos de la Naci?n dominicana con sus nacionales en el exterior, con la
**** esencial de lograr mayor integraci?n.
Art?culo 19.- Naturalizaci?n. Las y los extranjeros pueden naturalizarse conforme
a la ley, no pueden optar por la presidencia o vicepresidencia de los poderes del Estado, ni
est?n obligados a tomar las armas contra su Estado de origen. La ley regular? otras
limitaciones a las personas naturalizadas.
Art?culo 20.- Doble nacionalidad. Se reconoce a dominicanas y dominicanos la
facultad de adquirir una nacionalidad extranjera. La adquisici?n de otra nacionalidad no
implica la p?rdida de la dominicana.
P?rrafo.- Las dominicanas y los dominicanos que adopten otra nacionalidad, por
acto voluntario o por el lugar de nacimiento, podr?n aspirar a la presidencia y
vicepresidencia de la Rep?blica, si renunciaren a la nacionalidad adquirida con diez a?os de
anticipaci?n a la elecci?n y residieren en el pa?s durante los diez a?os previos al cargo. Sin
embargo, podr?n ocupar otros cargos electivos, ministeriales o de representaci?n
diplom?tica del pa?s en el exterior y en organismos internacionales, sin renunciar a la
nacionalidad adquirida.
If this paragraph would be in English I would not try to set an argument with you about this...
I understand 100% when it to refer to:

No, they are not Dominicans

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
If this paragraph would be in English I would not try to set an argument with you about this...
I understand 100% when it to refer to:

No, they are not Dominicans

JJ
Let me explain this for op who don't speaks Spanish:
Sons of foreigners born in Dominican territory, it doesn't matter you are American, German,British,Haitians or whoever if you are not in a legal status they are not considered Dominicans.

JJ

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Let me explain this for op who don't speaks Spanish:
Sons of foreigners born in Dominican territory, it doesn't matter you are American, German,British,Haitians or whoever if you are not in a legal status they are not considered Dominicans.

JJ

the question of legal status---does that mean having a cedula .. or having a passport?

(I realize that this may not be clear yet and may have to go to court to determine)

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
the question of legal status---does that mean having a cedula .. or having a passport?

(I realize that this may not be clear yet and may have to go to court to determine)
I'll have to call my friend Avelino Guzman who is a judge of La segunda sircunscripcion de Santiago ( junta Central electoral) to see what is the diference between having a Dominican Cedula and having a Dominican naturalization.
I will ask if the ones who hold a cedula are allowed of their new born birth registration
This is a little confusing!!

JJ

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I'll have to call my friend Avelino Guzman who is a judge of La segunda sircunscripcion de Santiago ( junta Central electoral) to see what is the diference between having a Dominican Cedula and having a Dominican naturalization.
I will ask if the ones who hold a cedula are allowed of their new born birth registration
This is a little confusing!!

JJ

thanks

I know that all foreign births are now registered in the Libra Rosada

and the 98% of them are Haitian.

Certainly most parents from more prosperous countries would not be too concerned about the rights of citizenship but .......

it would be interesting to hear if this really was a change from jus solis to jus sangre