how long is sponship in usa and then trf to become canadian resident

cathy_70

Jul 7, 2010
Hi,

I was looking for information , if a dominican is sponsored my aunt or step sister in the us how long is the process for perminent resident? and once that is done how can they apply to tranfer to montreal canada...

all info is apprciated :)

thank you

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hi,

I was looking for information , if a dominican is sponsored my aunt or step sister in the us how long is the process for perminent resident? and once that is done how can they apply to tranfer to montreal canada...

all info is apprciated :)

thank you

My husband [Dominican] sponsored his brother and sister to the USA, they were approved very quickly and then placed on a quota list. It took almost 8 YEARS before they made it to the top of the list. They then were given their green cards.

Both of them already had US visas.

AE

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If the Dominican is not related to your aunt or step sister they can not sponsor him as a relative.

If they petition for a work visa they need to prove that no one in the USA was able to fill the job offered which is very hard to do right now.

All that said if a US permanent resident wants to then apply for Canadian residency they have to go through all the steps just like anyone else. You're looking at years and years if at all possible to get to the US first.

Here's the info you need for the US USCIS Home Page

Gottawannalive

Jul 16, 2007
Sponsorship

Technically, anybody can get into the USA on a tourist visa. Practically, if that person is from from a country that is not in the Visa Waiver Act, the odds of them getting into this country on a tourist or "sponsored" visa are slim to none and slim is leaving town shortly.

Nothwistanding the fact that somebody is going to provide for their support while they are here, the "tourist" is looked upon as an "intending immigrant". They must show sufficient intent to return to their country of origin. Intent is shown by deeds to properties, titles to motor vehicles, bank accounts, strong family ties and social connections. From the DR, the overwhelming majority of tourist visas aplied for are denied. I would put the percentage at somewhere over 90%. Most Dominicans that enter USA are here either through spousal or family visas. Some came here on fiancee visas but that's something I doubt if I would ever do, even with Isabelle.

If you have questions about immigration, please contact me at Home :: amimm.net and not through this site.

It is prudent to have the assistance of any immigration attorney for purposes of any type of visa sought in the United States. Sorrry for plugging myself Rob. You may not remember me but we met several times over the years.

Gottawannalive

Jul 16, 2007
Oh, duhhhhhhhhh I failed to answer the question. A tourist visa can be for single entry for 90 days or more for single entry or 10 years for multiple entries. Its all up to the discretion of the USCIS official that permits entry. The "get out" date is on the tourists I-94 paper and not on the visa.

It is not terribly uncommon to see tourist visas issued for six months. After that, an extension is needed for a maximum 6 additional months but the extension should be applied for after about 4 months of being in the USA assuming its a six month visa.

Caution!!!! Never ever ever apply for conditional residency if you came to USA on a tourist visa and married while here. Use the F-1 Fiancee Visa Petition and that way things are done right. Marrying in USA while here under a tourist visa can avail both parties to the felony of visa fraud.

Again, if you have questions, you can reach me at Home :: amimm.net