Skin Cancer Treatment - North Coast

ElectricPickle

Sep 7, 2005
Hello everyone in the DR Forum. I have been "lurking" here for a long time but have not posted yet. I value the conversations and expertise here. it has helped me deal with my 85 year old father who lives in the North Coast region. He has lived there for about 15 years now and calls it home. He has friends around him that help with things he can not do himself, rare, because he is still in good physical and mental shape. Over the last few years he has developed skin cancers and to make a long story short, he almost died from the poor treatment he had received from local doctors. We ended up flying him to Florida, where I live, and he was hospitalized for several months. Now he is afraid of DR doctors and waits until something gets so bad he has to fly back to Florida and have surgery done. At my urging I told him to try and find a dermatologist that can do preventative things before they get out of hand. He did find someone but she sent him to Santo Domingo for treatment of a lesion on his cheek. He ended up in a clinic with hundreds of people and he didn't trust the doctor that looked at him. My question is, are there doctors in the DR that can treat advanced skin cancer on an 85 year old man?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yes. Try HOMS in Santiago. Some outstanding doctors there of all specialties.

ElectricPickle

Sep 7, 2005
Thank you for that information. I see that they even have a hotel for him to stay at. This is great. I will get him there ASAP.

chicataina

Apr 14, 2010
Im sorry to hear of you father skin cancer. Instruct your dad to have a full body skin exam. Many dermatologist don't perform one unless the patient asks. visit Melanoma.com for information on treatment options and preventative care. Urge him to use sunscreen daily and wear protective clothing to prevent future lesions.

Good luck

ElectricPickle

Sep 7, 2005
Im sorry to hear of you father skin cancer. Instruct your dad to have a full body skin exam. Many dermatologist don't perform one unless the patient asks. visit Melanoma.com for information on treatment options and preventative care. Urge him to use sunscreen daily and wear protective clothing to prevent future lesions.

Good luck

Thank you. That is good advice for everyone. I inherited Dad's pale skin so I have to be careful too.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We have a good local dermatology clinic next to the public hospital "Jose Maria Cabral" here in Santiago. They are very economical and quite good. It helps that a couple of the physicians are very white like me and are accustomed to checking this type of skin for lesions.