my dog is giving birth, help!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, it is her first time. and mine. our little girl gave birth to one puppy so far.

can anyone help telling me how far apart the puppies are?
do i need to help her in any way?
do i need to have anything ready?
how long all of this is going to take?
how to take care of newborns?

gee, i am so nervous!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
ok, it is her first time. and mine. our little girl gave birth to one puppy so far.

can anyone help telling me how far apart the puppies are?
do i need to help her in any way?
do i need to have anything ready?
how long all of this is going to take?
how to take care of newborns?

gee, i am so nervous!

Relax dv8, Acira's SOS is online ;)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Two out in four minutes, doing great!

As long as she is panting, you can expect another.

When she really begins to push, just observe here. As the two first ones came out easy, nothing to worry about.

If she pushes hard and you see clear water coming out but no pup, give it 30 minutes and if nothing happens, I will help you but I don't see that it will be necessary.

Do you have yoghurt and honey in the house? Don't know how long it will take for her to give birth but if she is going into a long labour then I suggest you give here after a few hours a nice bowl of fresh yoghurt with honey in it.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Just let mother nature do its thing and observe.

Things you can maybe have to do depending...

Once pup is out, help to break the mother sack where the pup is in but usualy the mother does it and eats everything including that she will bite the navel coard. Let here eat everything, its fine for here.

Normally she will begin to lick then the pup to stimulate him/her breathing. If you see that the pup is not responding well or you are worried, just take a dry cloth and rob quite fierce the back of the pup until it responds.

Don't give here any solid food right now, normally she won't eat it also but once in labour only liquid things like yoghurt or just some sugar water.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have none of that :(
but i have a can of cat food, will that do? :)
we locked her up in her house but she just stands at the door all the time, should we let her out? her house is big and i put an old sheet on the floor.
those puppies are so small for a big dog she is. and they cry so loud! :)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
No catfood please.

sugar water, soup, anything liquid that taste well will do.

Don't let here out, its here first time, she is nervous and doesn't know quite yet what to do.
Keep here locked up and just observe, she will get the hang of it.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
just let her do what she normally does, hopefully instinct will tell her what she is supposed to do. It might take her a while to realise she is a mother and supposed to be mothering so you might need to try and help the pups if they don't get the idea after a while. Personally I'd just leave it well alone, leave everything as you would normally leave it, doors open or closed whatever.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have milk. and some honey left in a bottle, will give that to her a bit later.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
No catfood please.

sugar water, soup, anything liquid that taste well will do.

Don't let here out, its here first time, she is nervous and doesn't know quite yet what to do.

I'll keep out of this we do this very differently.

Good luck:squareeye

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
just let her do what she normally does, hopefully instinct will tell her what she is supposed to do. It might take her a while to realise she is a mother and supposed to be mothering so you might need to try and help the pups if they don't get the idea after a while. Personally I'd just leave it well alone, leave everything as you would normally leave it, doors open or closed whatever.

I suppose you don't mind then going to pick up the pups being born in the garden then?
A new mother is alway's nervous with here first litter and it takes usually 3 to 4 pups being delivered for here to realize that those are hers and then mother nature kicks in.

Sorry Anastacio, we wrote at the same time I guess ;)

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I've always had working dogs that live in kennels outside and have free run of the yards, they ave always gone to kennel to give birth, I've never had any of them running around the garden dropping pups all over the place. Sounds like you got some action going on there:bunny:;)

keep us informed

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we let her out for a moment but she just abandoned the puppies and started running around. no more babies for now.
is it ok that she does not feed them yet?
she is locked in again and i am begining to calm down a little.
any advice is appreciated, folks, thanks for help to all.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Just let her with the pups so that she can start smelling them and get used to them. Leave her be and just observe, don't interact too much.

Its like Anastacio says, mother nature will kick in for sure.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pay attention to what Acira says.
Momma Nature will take care of things..

Congratulations.

HB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Just back from the hospital visiting Charlie and can't wait to tell him later that Fiji has at least one girl............ wonderful news dv8 and am sure there are probably more to come and advise you to follow everything Acira is telling you (no offence to Anastacio but, as rightly said, things are done differently by different people).

Is soooooooooooo excited for everyone xxx

Last edited: