Fishing In Sosua - Todays Catch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I finally chartered a boat and went fishing today with 2 guests.

I should have taken the advice of the fishermen and booked a morning trip but I just don't get up that early.

We went offshore and it was windy so the seas were choppy and confused but they have a course they plot with predetermined fishing hot spots intact.

The fishermen drob buoys with wood etc to create a natural habitat for the little fish to congregate or hide which attracts the larger fish.

We had a Wahoo strike but missed it as they are fast and furious.

After a while I had enough of the roller coaster and suggested heading closer to shore and perhaps some bottom fishing.

Before anchoring I was able to observe the ocean front housing in los Charamicos and noticed that all of the houses chose not to make the ocean their primary view as all of the waterfront windows were boarded up as opposed to the adjacent neighbors that listened to the big bad wolf and decided on using bricks .

Anyway, after we anchored the fun began as we found a great spot for bottom fishing.

The 2 dominican mates worked hard baiting the lines and they caught all of the fish as we found several Strawberry Grouper.

We through the little ones back so I know where to find them later.

At the end of the day both my guests were able to take their catch home or we could have grilled it on the back of the boat as they plates, limes etc .

Yes there is fish on the north coast so go and enjoy them

I recommend everyone take this trip or call me and split the expense.

I paid $225 for a half day with one adult and 2 youngsters

miozio

May 23, 2009
Hey Mike. I am glad you enjoyed your fishing trip. I wanna go on it too but somewhere in September with my father. How did you find those guys? Let me know if you are up for it again.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hey Mike. I am glad you enjoyed your fishing trip. I wanna go on it too but somewhere in September with my father. How did you find those guys? Let me know if you are up for it again.

Just go to Sosua beach and in the parking lot the guys in the orange uniforms book the trips...real easy...if you're a gringo they will find you but being a residente is a little better.

I am always up for a DAY ON THE OCEAN!

miozio

May 23, 2009
Just go to Sosua beach and in the parking lot the guys in the orange uniforms book the trips...real easy...if you're a gringo they will find you but being a residente is a little better.

I am always up for a DAY ON THE OCEAN!
I had all kinds of people trying to sell something but i always say - "No gracias vivo a qui" I guess i just needed someone's review to buy :)
Thanks for the info and if you are around in September we might share the expenses :)

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
All that's left is the barb from the Flying Fish we used as bait....sad but True.

All of my fishing stories are true ....just ask me about the sinking of the Lady Anna.

May 29, 2006
I wonder if there are charters out to the Silver Bank north of the island or if there is scuba/snorkle out that way...

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
There is a charter

marlinchaser.com does charters to the silver banks from Rio San Juan.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Todays catch that was brought to shore while I was swimming and later enjoyed...and so did everyone of the Locals ...was:

3 Dorados ( Mahi Mahi )

2 Wahoo ( Ono )

There was a Small Blue Marlin caught as well which should have been released so please save the " Once In A Lifetime " Catch that's a bill fish, measure it , let it go and and call a company in Ft. Lauderdale that can reproduce your catch Exactaley.

Taxidermists now use Fiberglass molds.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
So can someone tell me the fishing seasons off the north coast? What is the best time to catch _______? Fill in the blank because I do not even know that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
fish sounds good but it there any way it could be done without the boat? i get seasick :)

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
So can someone tell me the fishing seasons off the north coast? What is the best time to catch _______? Fill in the blank because I do not even know that.

I am no expert but for the last 4 years I have lived here I see what has been caught that is offered for sale by they guys that walk around with the catch of the day hung on both ends of a stick.

The Reef fish like Red Snapper and Grouper are year round and so is most of the fish that swims the oceans like Dolphin , Tuna and Wahoo which are all excellent eating choices.

Sea Salmon is plentiful in the winter months

I have not seen any Cobia which is excellent.

I am not sure about game fish such as Sailfish or Blue, Black and White Marlin as those migrate seasonally.

Mar 2, 2008
Mike, we have a group going out Monday morning for a half-day fishing trip ("a 4-hour tour"?).

I will post a report on our experience.

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
you can fish from shore.

Harder work and patient, and mainly evenings. but its good fun.

im not to sure now, but i know of a few guys that "freedive" and with home made spears, speared the fish.

the money they earnt was off the scales ;-)

BlackRainbow

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
I am going by myself to the dr from nov5-12 and would love to go ~ if anyone else is going during that time let me know!! :)

PapaGG

May 31, 2010
Hey Skinney

My I suggest "Njoy Tours", you can book them through the hotel or on line. I went with several tours while I was down there. I went with the big boat out of POP the first time, which I booked from the beach in Sosua (orange shirts), I got the old bate and switch on that one... show me a nice boat that I could book with 6 other people so we could have our won boat. They up charged me for my kids, because they wanted to fish as well. When we got to the port on POP, we went on a different boat, with other people outside of our group. I did not mind meeting other people, but being up charged for my kids "sucked", they did not get to fish! Four lines for 12 people and not a single bite. The boat was run down and the food was the worst I have ever had. The two guys on the boat did there best, but basically it was a boat ride. When they sold it to me the guy on the beach told me that the day before they caught a Marlin. Whe I actually spoke to the two guys on the boat, they said the caught Baracuda!

Anyway, , I went with Njoy Tours several days later and the trip was "Awsome". We saw Dorado (Mahi Mahi) but were not successful in hooking one. After a about an 1-1/2 of trolling they decided to cast fish, not sure thats the right term but we ended up cathcing 11 fish from Tripletails, to Trigger Fish to Yellow Tail Snapper (Puno). Even my 7 year old pulled in 2 fish.

These guys made every effort that everyone had a good time and had a chance to experience a catch.

Hope this give you more options

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
My I suggest "Njoy Tours", you can book them through the hotel or on line. I went with several tours while I was down there. I went with the big boat out of POP the first time, which I booked from the beach in Sosua (orange shirts), I got the old bate and switch on that one... show me a nice boat that I could book with 6 other people so we could have our won boat. They up charged me for my kids, because they wanted to fish as well. When we got to the port on POP, we went on a different boat, with other people outside of our group. I did not mind meeting other people, but being up charged for my kids "sucked", they did not get to fish! Four lines for 12 people and not a single bite. The boat was run down and the food was the worst I have ever had. The two guys on the boat did there best, but basically it was a boat ride. When they sold it to me the guy on the beach told me that the day before they caught a Marlin. Whe I actually spoke to the two guys on the boat, they said the caught Baracuda!

Anyway, , I went with Njoy Tours several days later and the trip was "Awsome". We saw Dorado (Mahi Mahi) but were not successful in hooking one. After a about an 1-1/2 of trolling they decided to cast fish, not sure thats the right term but we ended up cathcing 11 fish from Tripletails, to Trigger Fish to Yellow Tail Snapper (Puno). Even my 7 year old pulled in 2 fish.

These guys made every effort that everyone had a good time and had a chance to experience a catch.

Hope this give you more options

Thank you for your help I will keep that in mind! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.