Women's running group?

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
Hi all!

I've been living in the DR for about a year and am hoping to find a women's running group to run within the city. I was wondering if anyone is either a part of a group like this or would know where I can go about finding information about joining a running group? If so, please reply on here or PM me. Thanks!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Not trying to burst your bubble, but with the state of crime as of now in the DR running around in the city won't be such a good idea.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Why not? There are areas like Avenida de la Salud where it is safe providing you take reasonable measures - and running in a group is one of the obvious ones - along with carrying no valuables and choosing times of day when there are a lot of people around.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Why not? There are areas like Avenida de la Salud where it is safe providing you take reasonable measures - and running in a group is one of the obvious ones - along with carrying no valuables and choosing times of day when there are a lot of people around.

You mean the Mirador Chiri?? I wouldn't run there even if I got paid for it. I used to hang aroudn in a lot of environments (including those not so nice) and the consensus is the Mirador is the spot of choice for thieves and muggers to do their stuff. I wouldn't recommend anyone to run over there anymore...sad :(

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Has it got that much worse in the last two years since I left? We used to walk and cycle there often, mainly in the late afternoon, without any problems. I made a point of never carrying any valuables and usually avoided isolated areas. There were always lots of people around, security patrols and guards posted every 100m or so.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Hi all!

I've been living in the DR for about a year and am hoping to find a women's running group to run within the city. I was wondering if anyone is either a part of a group like this or would know where I can go about finding information about joining a running group? If so, please reply on here or PM me. Thanks!

If you are around Naco, go to the Runners Shop in a little plaza on the right hand side just after the Body Shop on Fantino Falco one block west of Tiradentes. Ask for Cristina, she will know everything about running in and around SD. If the Runners isn't open, pop into the bagel shop next door. If she's not there they will give you her number.

If you can't get to Naco, call the bagels (8095402263) anyway, and ask them.

Good luck,
Bryan

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i have a friend in SD who runs on the Avenida de Salud everyday and has for the past three years... and she's a pretty blonde gringa... nothing has happened to her and she says she feels safe there.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
i have a friend in SD who runs on the Avenida de Salud everyday and has for the past three years... and she's a pretty blonde gringa... nothing has happened to her and she says she feels safe there.

Avenida de Salud is OK if you remember these simple rules:
No visible jewelry
No visible watch
No visible cellphone
No Ipod or similar mp3 player - even if it's concealed, the ear buds are a dead giveaway

Run or walk close to other people, preferably those walking their dog
Run or walk on the road away from the park sidewalk and the sidewalk on the cliff side.
Watch out for cyclists and speed skaters, the odd vehicle or moto.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
You mean the Mirador Chiri?? I wouldn't run there even if I got paid for it. I used to hang aroudn in a lot of environments (including those not so nice) and the consensus is the Mirador is the spot of choice for thieves and muggers to do their stuff. I wouldn't recommend anyone to run over there anymore...sad :(

As recently as March, I would run there by myself around 5 pm. (I am an American woman.) There were security guards and TONS of people from every walk of life. I felt safe and had no problems other than trying to cross the street at rush hour!! I never stayed past dusk and took the usual precautions: no $$, no jewelry, no iPod.

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
If you are around Naco, go to the Runners Shop in a little plaza on the right hand side just after the Body Shop on Fantino Falco one block west of Tiradentes. Ask for Cristina, she will know everything about running in and around SD. If the Runners isn't open, pop into the bagel shop next door. If she's not there they will give you her number.

If you can't get to Naco, call the bagels (8095402263) anyway, and ask them.

Good luck,
Bryan

Perfect! This is extremely helpful - thank you! I'll be going over there this weekend for sure. I really appreciate it!

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
Thanks for all of the responses. My issues is that, while I'm sure it's fine to run along without jewelry, a watch, iPod, etc., I would really prefer to find a group or person to run with. Where I'm from, gyms and running stores organize groups. I'll definitely check out both Avenida de la Salud and the running shop.

Any other suggestions?

grace.m

Aug 13, 2010
Hey, I just moved here a few weeks ago and would love to have a running partner. What neighborhood do you live in? I'm in Bella Vista and have heard that there are some good parks in the area where people go running.

E

engineerfg

I'm not sure what these nervous nelly's are talking about. I run mirador and av salud almost every day, both through the park, and then back through the top of the av. salud. I alternate between 7am and 6pm runs, and it's always safe. I guess if I was a women it would be a bit scary if I was parking my car somewhere dark and running to/from it, but just park your car on av. salud or near luperon or av. italia and you will be fine.

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
I'm not sure what these nervous nelly's are talking about. I run mirador and av salud almost every day, both through the park, and then back through the top of the av. salud. I alternate between 7am and 6pm runs, and it's always safe. I guess if I was a women it would be a bit scary if I was parking my car somewhere dark and running to/from it, but just park your car on av. salud or near luperon or av. italia and you will be fine.

Well, I don't think they're being silly at all. I have a friend who was attaced mid-day while running in Mirador del Sur. It's partially being a woman and partially being an American that made her a target. Hence the reason I want a running partner. :) I just figure - better safe than dead or injured, right?

Reactions: AlterEgo
E

engineerfg

I find it strange defending the level of crime in Santo Domingo considering I'm always complaining to my friends about it, however that newspaper article was pretty sensationalist.

1. POINT: the article says a body was dumped in Mirador a while back.

COUNTERPOINT: who knows where this person was killed? it doesn't say the person was jogging and was murdered in mirador, or it was part of a complicated stick-em-up. Who knows how many people are murdered in this city daily or weekly, but a dark unlit area like mirador at night time seems like a great place to dump a body. In fact if you notice by the 4km mark, there's even a 'garbage dump' sort of area behind the trees... so yeah, this point is immaterial about your safety of jogging in Mirador, it's just a general statement about the safety of this city.

2. POINT: the article says some ripped up clothes were found in mirador. suggesting then that somebody was raped in mirador.

COUNTERPOINT: where to start? a) if someone was raped, doesn't mean they were a jogger pulled into the bushes to be raped, there's just too many people in this park for that to happen. b) if ripped clothes are found, does not mean a rape occurred, 4km mark has a garbage dump near it, then there's all the Haitian illegals that are working on the construction site near the anacaona side, they all wear ripped clothes, and use ripped clothes for headbands, who knows what ripped rag has been thrown there for what reason? bottom line it's a pretty big leap of faith to suggest the existence of ripped clothes = somebody got raped in a park, or to even fear that it could be a jogger that this would happen to.

3. POINT: taxi's claim at night time, they are afraid of stopping in Mirador.

COUNTERPOINT: replace Mirador with anywhere dark in this city. it's a meaningless sensationalist point.

4. POINT: guy was Robbed in Daylight - yes I can see that happening. In fact I saw that happen in Mirador myself. Old guy walking with a wallet, headphones, watch etc etc, somebody ran by and grabbed his wallet. Everyone who saw pursued but couldn't catch him as he jumped over the cliff are and disappeared.

COUNTERPOINT: why go jogging with anything on your person? like the guy that was shot at jardin botanico by accident when he was exercising, he had a rolex, his wallet with cash, car keys, headsets, etc. Why do you need stuff to jog with? Just take your keys and run. OKay if you need an mp3 player, take your ipod and run. If you get robbed, they have a sweaty ipod with your disco songs on it. Big deal you lose 149$. Move on. People get robbed and pick-pocketed everyday in this city in car publico's, or busy places, don't think the probability of this happening in a park is escalated. If anything I would assume it's reduced considering joggers don't have purses full of wallets and cash/goodies to steal (one would hope they'd be smart enough to leave that all at home).

I run this park daily, and this article wouldn't sway me to stop. I am an ugly male though, so maybe I have a natural stalker defense.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Engineerfg I'm always defending the crime levels at SD because sometimes they are exagerated. But regarding the Mirador I know for a FACT that it is a dangerous place to go jogging. Just don't ask me how I know it, I just know it.

And you should know better before accusing a Listin Diario article as sensationalist.

E

engineerfg

Fair enough on the listin diario comment, and I do apologize if I'm digging my heels in here... can you share some ideas as to why you think it's dangerous? I ask for the benefit of everyone and myself as I run and exercise there very frequently, and on weekends with my gf as well.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The incident was not inside the gardens, but on the main road nearby. Inside the gardens it should be safe as walkers/runners use a special pass to get in.

E

engineerfg

was also a case of mistaken identity on a targeted hit, not some random act of violence.