Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Women's running group?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Women's running group?

Hi all!

I've been living in the DR for about a year and am hoping to find a women's running group to run within the city. I was wondering if anyone is either a part of a group like this or would know where I can go about finding information about joining a running group? If so, please reply on here or PM me. Thanks!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to burst your bubble, but with the state of crime as of now in the DR running around in the city won't be such a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not? There are areas like Avenida de la Salud where it is safe providing you take reasonable measures - and running in a group is one of the obvious ones - along with carrying no valuables and choosing times of day when there are a lot of people around.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    Why not? There are areas like Avenida de la Salud where it is safe providing you take reasonable measures - and running in a group is one of the obvious ones - along with carrying no valuables and choosing times of day when there are a lot of people around.
    You mean the Mirador Chiri?? I wouldn't run there even if I got paid for it. I used to hang aroudn in a lot of environments (including those not so nice) and the consensus is the Mirador is the spot of choice for thieves and muggers to do their stuff. I wouldn't recommend anyone to run over there anymore...sad

Post Thanks / Like

Has it got that much worse in the last two years since I left? We used to walk and cycle there often, mainly in the late afternoon, without any problems. I made a point of never carrying any valuables and usually avoided isolated areas. There were always lots of people around, security patrols and guards posted every 100m or so.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by voleibolchica View Post
    Hi all!

I've been living in the DR for about a year and am hoping to find a women's running group to run within the city. I was wondering if anyone is either a part of a group like this or would know where I can go about finding information about joining a running group? If so, please reply on here or PM me. Thanks!
    If you are around Naco, go to the Runners Shop in a little plaza on the right hand side just after the Body Shop on Fantino Falco one block west of Tiradentes. Ask for Cristina, she will know everything about running in and around SD. If the Runners isn't open, pop into the bagel shop next door. If she's not there they will give you her number.

If you can't get to Naco, call the bagels (8095402263) anyway, and ask them.

Good luck,
    Bryan

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a friend in SD who runs on the Avenida de Salud everyday and has for the past three years... and she's a pretty blonde gringa... nothing has happened to her and she says she feels safe there.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaTeacher View Post
    i have a friend in SD who runs on the Avenida de Salud everyday and has for the past three years... and she's a pretty blonde gringa... nothing has happened to her and she says she feels safe there.
    Avenida de Salud is OK if you remember these simple rules:
    No visible jewelry
    No visible watch
    No visible cellphone
    No Ipod or similar mp3 player - even if it's concealed, the ear buds are a dead giveaway

Run or walk close to other people, preferably those walking their dog
    Run or walk on the road away from the park sidewalk and the sidewalk on the cliff side.
    Watch out for cyclists and speed skaters, the odd vehicle or moto.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeR View Post
    You mean the Mirador Chiri?? I wouldn't run there even if I got paid for it. I used to hang aroudn in a lot of environments (including those not so nice) and the consensus is the Mirador is the spot of choice for thieves and muggers to do their stuff. I wouldn't recommend anyone to run over there anymore...sad
    As recently as March, I would run there by myself around 5 pm. (I am an American woman.) There were security guards and TONS of people from every walk of life. I felt safe and had no problems other than trying to cross the street at rush hour!! I never stayed past dusk and took the usual precautions: no $$, no jewelry, no iPod.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanell View Post
    If you are around Naco, go to the Runners Shop in a little plaza on the right hand side just after the Body Shop on Fantino Falco one block west of Tiradentes. Ask for Cristina, she will know everything about running in and around SD. If the Runners isn't open, pop into the bagel shop next door. If she's not there they will give you her number.

If you can't get to Naco, call the bagels (8095402263) anyway, and ask them.

Good luck,
    Bryan
    Perfect! This is extremely helpful - thank you! I'll be going over there this weekend for sure. I really appreciate it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast