Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Where to lose yourself in Santo Domingo

    Hey guys. I just booked my flight to Santo Domingo for Labor Day weekend. I really want to just go off the beaten track this time. When I was there in June my guide took me to a busy neighborhood that appeared to be a meeting point for many buses going from everywhere to Haiti to Boca Chica.

    I plan on going back there, but other than that location can anyone recommend neighborhoods to go to? Perhaps places that tourists normally wouldn't go to. I want to try to immerse myself in the culture if only for four days. I love this country and although I know it can be dangerous I feel safe there. I will be travelling alone this trip without my usual travel companion nor my guide this time. Thanks for your input!

  2. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,905
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    hey shawn27, so you pulled the trigger and going back! good for you!
    damn bro, as i suggested before, unless you are driving i dont know what to suggest. people are bold enough to dare and trek the country on guaguas [buses] but thats your call, just be prepared to give yourself plenty of time to get to and from destinations. where are you staying exactly? neighborhood and posters here can suggest what neighborhoods and or buses to jump on to go sightsee!

  3. #3
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,362
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I suggest you choose a hotel in Gazcue. It's not immersion but its a relatively quiet SD neighborhood within a short distance of the colonial zone and a stones throw from the malecon, presidential palace, and easy access to other historic sites and places of interest.

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jalencastro View Post
    hey shawn27, so you pulled the trigger and going back! good for you!
    damn bro, as i suggested before, unless you are driving i dont know what to suggest. people are bold enough to dare and trek the country on guaguas [buses] but thats your call, just be prepared to give yourself plenty of time to get to and from destinations. where are you staying exactly? neighborhood and posters here can suggest what neighborhoods and or buses to jump on to go sightsee!
    You know Jalen, I would rent a car but I've heard so many horror stories with people having mysterious charges on their card that I'm afraid to do it. Besides, don't see the point of having a car if I don't know where the hell I'm going! Can you suggest any neighborhoods that would be of interest.

  5. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    I suggest you choose a hotel in Gazcue. It's not immersion but its a relatively quiet SD neighborhood within a short distance of the colonial zone and a stones throw from the malecon, presidential palace, and easy access to other historic sites and places of interest.
    Actually I am staying in Gazcue at the Duque de Wellington. I know I know it's supposedly a gay hotel, but I can stay there for $45.00 a night. Can't find anywhere else that's cheaper. Plus the guide there only charges $10.00 a day...

  6. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default La Venezuela

    Night life: You can go to La Venezuela there are a lot clubs. You can find there bars like "Cool Bar" "House Drink" and other places.

    Here the map:
    Google map link here

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neftali50 View Post
    Night life: You can go to La Venezuela there are a lot clubs. You can find there bars like "Cool Bar" "House Drink" and other places.

    Here the map:
    Google map link here
    Is that close to Gazcue?

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shawn27 View Post
    Hey guys. I just booked my flight to Santo Domingo for Labor Day weekend.
    Duque de Wellington, mmmmmmm now I know where to find you and when.

    Only kidding, let the past be the past, right?.

    Seriously, try to find a better hotel. I stood in an Argentinian hotel a block away facing the colmado. Can't remember the name, but the rooms were very inexpensive with cold a/c. The security was very good.

    Be careful, there are many shady characters lurking around those streets at night.

    Have fun!

  9. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    Duke of Wellington, mmmmmmm now I know where to find you and when.

    Only kidding, let the past be the past, right?.

    Seriously, try to find a better hotel. I stood in an Argentinian hotel a block away facing the colmado. Can't remember the name, but the rooms were very inexpensive with cold a/c. The security was very good.

    Be careful, there are many shady characters lurking around those streets at night.

    Have fun!
    Thanks Bronxboy all is forgotten. You know people give it such a bad rap but it's so cheap! Plus since I'll be alone I'll kinda want someone to hang out with at times. They have a very attentive staff team who certainly don't mind tagging behind tourists! Plus they know where to go. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Do you know if any neighborhoods of interest that are off the beaten track?
    Last edited by shawn27; 08-02-2010 at 02:01 PM.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shawn27 View Post
    Do you know if any neighborhoods of interest that are off the beaten track?
    I usually stay with family. My brother-in-law lives a block away from the Metropolis mall in SD. The areas around there are well to do neighborhoods. Not sure how far from Gazue but is it is not that far.

    I would definitely hang at the Jaragua or Melia hotels for nightlife. These hotels are by the malecon.

    The area around the Duque is dedicated for the mongering lifestyle if that is what you re looking for. Just be careful around that area. Keep your guards up at all times.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •