Jailbroken Apple products are now "legal"

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
JailbreakMe is the new userland jailbreak for iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G iOS 4.0.1 / 4.0, iPad iOS 3.2.1 / 3.2, iPod Touch iOS 4. JailbreakMe 2.0 by Comex can jailbreak All iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches starting from iOS 3.1.2.

JailbreakMe is, without a doubt, the easiest iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch jailbreak on the planet. It’s a browser based jailbreak.

JailbreakMe Supports
◦iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G running iOS 4.0 / 4.0.1 / 3.1.3 / 3.1.2
◦iPad iOS 3.2.1 and iPad iOS 3.2
◦All iPod Touches iOS 4.0 / 4.0.1 / 3.1.3 / 3.1.2

NOTE
◦Your iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch MUST be activated to use JailbreakMe 2.0.
◦JailbreakMe 2.0 does NOT work on Custom Firmware.

In order to jailbreak your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch with JailbreakMe 2.0 simply point your Safari Browser to:

Code:

JailbreakMe

or

Code:

http://jailbreakme.modmyi.com/

and follow the on screen instructions.

-------

I have not used the above product and do not endorse it. Only providing the information that Apple no longer has "control". See:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/202367/the_webbased_ios_jailbreak_tool_how_does_it_work.html

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I'm glad you put legal in quotation marks because the legality of the jailbreak is a moot point. Apple never once went after anyone for breaking their consumer license agreement... and I doubt they ever would have. (It's a civil issue, not a criminal one). Jailbreaking will still void your warranty so if that is something that concerns you, don't jailbreak your iPhone.

Something else to keep in mind is the fact that you can jailbreak your phone just by browsing to a website. This indicates there is a huge security flaw in the phone. Apple will be addressing this soon I'm sure.

That said, I'm headed to Washington, DC this weekend and will probably be picking up and iPhone 4 (and jailbreaking and unlocking).

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Please explain what this jailbreaks is and means very briefly and in none techy speak. Yes google is my friend but 'jailbreak'?

If you would please as I have been seeing a couple on ebay with this note aside the ad.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Apple has aligned itself with specific telephone/wireless internet companies throughout the world to sell there products. When you purchase such Apple products they would only work on those networks without special "Jailbreak" software being run on the product to unlock it from these partners. Also, Apple would only allow downloads of applications that they approved from their store. When one of their products is jail broken it can be used on many other networks and more downloads can be installed.

In this case, the owners now have more options.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Jailbreaking and unlocking are two different things.

Jailbreaking refers to the process of modifying any Apple device (iPod touch, iPhone, iPad) to allow it to run unapproved applications. By design, you can only install applications on your device that are approved by Apple. For example, I have a jailbroken first generation iPhone. I was able to install a program that allows me to take videos with my phone. Apple provides no such functionality on first generation iPhones so jailbreaking the phone was the only way I was able to do it.

Unlocking refers to the process of removing the "carrier lock" on the iPhone. A carrier lock limits the phone so it will only work with a single mobile phone provider (e.g. AT&T in the U.S.). Unlocking an iPhone is done by downloading a special application and running it on the phone. Thus, you can only unlock an iPhone after it has been jailbroken. (Since jailbreaking is what allows you to run unapproved applications).

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
iphone 2gcracked screen demand?

Is there a demand for iphone 2g's functional with cracked glass, I can get my hands on a whole bunch for my next trip to Santiago. I can also get the replacement glass, but I hear its very hard to replace.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is there a demand for iphone 2g's functional with cracked glass, I can get my hands on a whole bunch for my next trip to Santiago. I can also get the replacement glass, but I hear its very hard to replace.

It is a very tedious repair to remove and replace just the broken glass because of how it is glued to the plastic LCD screen below. There may be some experts in the DR on that procedure, but others can advise on that.

I found this on another forurm:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=481086

I successfully removed (For hours) glass fragments from the LCD. It sucked but it came off, and I now understand that the "GLUE" is a conductor of the static elctricity required to operate the touch screen. Don't buy the glass that is seperate from the LCD...touch screen will not work, the LCD lights up as beautiful as ever, but a finger swipe does nothing.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Its tricky

It's tricky sometimes when you jailbreak your ipods because u never know how well it's going to work... my teenaged son has figured out through trial and error to tweak his ipod touch but it does void the warranty...so unless u r tech or hack savvy I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I am trying to hunt down one of the I's that will take and send photos, from what I can see the only one that does this is the iphone which I don't really want a phone on it. If I got a seconded iphone I could use the internet free of charge as it has wifi, and without even needing to use the phone and incur any kind of charges at all, yes?
Why they didn't put a camera on the Ipod touch is confusing to me. I'm not at all techy but it seems to be the absolute obvious extra that spoils it. So now I'm unable to buy what I need without buying another phone, which I really don't want.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I am trying to hunt down one of the I's that will take and send photos, from what I can see the only one that does this is the iphone which I don't really want a phone on it. If I got a seconded iphone I could use the internet free of charge as it has wifi, and without even needing to use the phone and incur any kind of charges at all, yes?
Why they didn't put a camera on the Ipod touch is confusing to me. I'm not at all techy but it seems to be the absolute obvious extra that spoils it. So now I'm unable to buy what I need without buying another phone, which I really don't want.

I have an ap on my iphone that takes digital pics and you can email immediately.called snapture and it is free...
bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Update on jailbreaking ipod touch and iphones.
Firmware 4.0 and 4.0.1 are jailbreakable but the new 4.0.2 is not. 4.1 is also not jailbroken yet.
Now here is the deal. If you factory reset your ipod touch or iphone then when you try to restore it via itunes, it will automatically force you to upgrade to firmware 4.0.2. This upgrade has caused some serious headaches to some iphone 3g users and ipod touch users. The device becomes too slow to work with. This firmware is not jailbroken either. I had made this mistake of resetting my ipod touch which was working on 3.1.2 firmware but afterwards, itunes will not let me stay with my firmware and was forcing me to upgrade to newest firmware. It seemed almost impossible to get back to my original firmware. But thanks to hackers, I was able to revert back to my original firmware and jailbreak it again. So folks, be careful and don't mess with your ipods and iphone.
AZB