Where can I find straw hats like these in SD, thanks.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
At about 10 pm or later, go to the place where they sell booze to go (used to be a Wendy's) at the corner of Calle Rafael Augusto Sanchez and Tiradentes, and ask the jevitos hanging out there where they got their hats.

If they aren't there, then go up on Ave Abraham Lincoln to the open lot across from Adrian Tropical restaurant on a Friday or Saturday night and ask the jevitos there the same thing.

What is a "jevito"? Just look for a big late model SUV with 3 or 4 young guys hanging out, waiting for some girl to buy them drinks, because Daddy gave them the keys to the jeepeta and $200 to go out on, and they already blew it...... at least one out of three will be wearing a hat similar to your photo.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
everywhere, you have people who will approach you at calmodos with a mass selection of sizes colours and styles of the same hat. You have a few vendors on the main street of the colonial zone that have them.
You are realy going to have a struggle avoid them in SD.
Enjoy

Most of mine aren't straw, I prefer the better quality of the 200pesos ones:chinese:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
In GuebaYol you'll certainly find them. :D

All I've seen here are imports. Mostly Asia. You find some in large department stores (Eg. Plaza Lama), in Tiguere/Tiguera trapos (trashy clothing) outlets in Sosua and most other tiguere riddled towns and most probably in the "stores" under the overpasses of Santo Domingo's "27" & Duarte as well as some stores on La Conde (SD's Colonial district) or Santiago's Calle Del Sol and side alleys... mostly dreadful quality.
There is also a souvenir shop inside Playa Dorada (POP) which had a large stock all sorts of hats.
As another poster suggested, once you find something acceptably close to what you were looking for, the lack of SIZES may further frustrate you search. Things come in here in single shipments... there is often no stock keeping and ordering.

I doubt the hat on the picture is REAL straw... maybe just some beige synthetic material, still, I haven't seen many looking that "good" in quality around here.

If you insist on REAL straw (paja de toquilla / falsely labeled "Panama straw"), you may want to check out Ecuador... specifically the city of Cuenca (where MOST "Panama"-hats are made).
I don't know if they have picked up on the new "hip" designs... but that's where STRAW fedoras would be from.

... J-D.

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
SEMA on av. Luperon (probably best bet as they are younger style fedoras, rather than panamas...)

ANTHONY's in Plaza Central

ZARA in Acropolis Center

Mens store down on El conde a few blocks from Columbus Square.

papillionsprincess

Aug 26, 2008
SEMA on av. Luperon (probably best bet as they are younger style fedoras, rather than panamas...)

ANTHONY's in Plaza Central

ZARA in Acropolis Center

Mens store down on El conde a few blocks from Columbus Square.

Thank you, for your response

May 29, 2006
Just saw stacks of hats like that yesterday in NYC in a discount store for $6 each. I wonder what they sell for down in the DR...