Funny Blog About Dominicans from NY and Dominican from over there.

C

corporanay!

Nuala Knows

Life On Two Islands
March 10, 2010

If you are like me, you are a New Yorker with Dominican parents. You grew up on two islands, one you currently call home, and the other you have dysfunctional relationship with.

You were probably born in The City. Your parents, sometime in your childhood, moved the family to The Island because someone promised them an opportunity of a lifetime. But upon arrival, somehow, somewhere between unpacking la mudanza and your high school graduation, something happens to someone and the plans to live the Dominican Dream fail to come to fruition.

Nowadays you have a vaiv?n with The Island. You get on a plane because The Island has a gravitational force that pulls you any time you have the opportunity to travel. Yet, no sooner you land at AILA you are ready to head back home.

When on The Island, you stroll around frequently feeling the gape of its people trickling down your back. If you suspect they are judging you, rest assured?they are. The opinions run the gamut from the color of your nail polish, (Ballerina Pink: Good, Gothic Burgundy: Bad) to living with your boyfriend (very bad), or living alone (extremely bad).

I have a true necessity of contributing my thoughts on thirteen years of Island life, plus the annual twenty days I spend thereafter when I decided to relocate to The City for good. It is a conflicting and complex relationship the one I have with The Island. On one hand I love getting away from The City (You must have already noticed that I make the distinction between The Island=there, and The City=here) to visit my friends and family, especially during the winter when I get to soak up the year-round 85?F weather. However I find myself having little tolerance for The Islanders? quirks, which is topic of discussion for this blog.

For now, allow me to preface the conversation by saying that all that will be covered may well pertain to few, some, none, or perhaps all Islanders. But if for some reason, as you read my entries you find yourself nodding in agreement or bristling with discomfort, signs point that you are either like me or like them.

On the other hand, you might be a happy bystander being entertained by the thoughts of a Dominican chick, shaken with a twist.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I read some of the entries the other day and for the most part you do speak some truths and you sound like an intelligent person, but the impression I got is you're one of those Dominicans (of which there are not many thanks god) which have this chip on their shoulder / attitude where everything NYC is great and everything "over there" is lame.

Count me in as NOT being like you. Yes I grew up (until 17 years old) in "the island", have actually lived in The US for a longer time than I lived down there and even though I have been a US citizen for a loong time never felt "American". I try to be open minded enough to appreciate what both places have to offer without having to demean the other...

C

corporanay!

Relax sister! I didn't write it. I just appreciate some good satire. Thought some people might get a kick of it and perhaps start a dialogue which seems to obsolete in our culture. That's all.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You should all read the Junot Diaz book: The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao...

She sounds a bit like him, so maybe this is a new theme in East Coast Hispanic literature?

HB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Relax sister! I didn't write it. I just appreciate some good satire. Thought some people might get a kick of it and perhaps start a dialogue which seems to obsolete in our culture. That's all.

From your post you sounded like you were the writer. I see now you just copied and pasted some entry.

BTW not a sister either...just a guy from Cotui.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You should all read the Junot Diaz book: The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao...

She sounds a bit like him, so maybe this is a new theme in East Coast Hispanic literature?

HB

Good advice - that book is a must read for anyone interested in DR. I can't remember the last time a book affected me like that one did, and it has stayed with me since I turned the last page.

AE

C

corporanay!

I did read it. I agree they both have a similar narrative. I personally love how well she manages Dominican Spanish, con los diaaaaaaache, y aj?? but keeping a very New York tone. @Suarez, sorry dude! I thought you were a girl. Your comment sounded a bit catty... no offense to the ladies. I'm a girl!