Car Insurance

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
depends on type of vehicle, and type of coverage...ex 2002 honda accord full coverage with casa de conductor is RD$25,000

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
yes that's annually....if the you have a car that is worth anything i would recommend it, but some don't .... have been driving here 6 yrs with no accidents, but better to have and not need, than need and not have...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can get basic 3 rd person coverage for less than RD$4000, but you are on the hook for your own vehicle as well as if they sue you...

HB

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Thank you Hammerdown for the quick response.

Today some one told us he insures his 1998 Land Cruiser for liability for $30/year, and that according to him full coverage here is not worth to paper is written on.

Though nice to hear that the insurance company you talk about is cutting 10 % for each year? with no accidents.

What happens if you do have an accident?

And which company is your car insured by?

Sorry for all the questions...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
You can get basic 3 rd person coverage for less than RD$4000, but you are on the hook for your own vehicle as well as if they sue you...

HB

The $30/year insurance I was talking about is liability to the other persons car but not to passengers riding in his own car.
Is that something worth to consider or?...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I deal with Progresso - the bank. They offer insurance.

Its important to have insurance.... there are a lot of posts about needing a RD driving license, and so on.

Use the search..... they can put you in jail while they investigate if you don't have the right policy.

I don't like the answer you got about " not worth having insurance." I'm sure most here would disagree with that advice...... you'll find out!!

WW

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The Dirty Little Secret: if you have overstayed your tourist visa and have an accident, no insurance company will pay the claim.

$30 liability on any car is a joke. It covers nothing. It'd be like moto insurance. And if you're an expat with that $30 coverage, you're gonna be in a world of hurt if you injure someone's property or body.

Car insurance here isn't that different from anywhere else. There are some major players backed by offshore secondary coverage. Can't vouch for the smaller players.

We have the best coverage available from Monumental (one of the biggies) on our '02 XTerra (in Alida's name) for RD$33,000 annually, paid 20% down, 20% each month for 4 months. Marisol Abreau's family is a big Monumental agent in Jarabacoa. She speaks English, go ask her.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The $30/year insurance I was talking about is liability to the other persons car but not to passengers riding in his own car.
Is that something worth to consider or?...
Any foreigner considering buying a car in the DR that doesn't get as much insurance as available is just asking for some serious, deep peoblems.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I deal with Progresso - the bank. They offer insurance.

Its important to have insurance.... there are a lot of posts about needing a RD driving license, and so on.

Use the search..... they can put you in jail while they investigate if you don't have the right policy.

I don't like the answer you got about " not worth having insurance." I'm sure most here would disagree with that advice...... you'll find out!!

WW

Hence my question also WW, I was a bit surprised by the low figure of $30 but on the other hand, it would be stupid to pay more then necessary.
Ok, its like with all insurances, you need them but at what cost?

I will do a search, thx!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
The Dirty Little Secret: if you have overstayed your tourist visa and have an accident, no insurance company will pay the claim.

$30 liability on any car is a joke. It covers nothing. It'd be like moto insurance. And if you're an expat with that $30 coverage, you're gonna be in a world of hurt if you injure someone's property or body.

Car insurance here isn't that different from anywhere else. There are some major players backed by offshore secondary coverage. Can't vouch for the smaller players.

We have the best coverage available from Monumental (one of the biggies) on our '02 XTerra (in Alida's name) for RD$33,000 annually, paid 20% down, 20% each month for 4 months. Marisol Abreau's family is a big Monumental agent in Jarabacoa. She speaks English, go ask her.

Thx, maybe we will go and speak with Marisol but we are in doubt. If we calculate and have to do some more calculations and taking into account that we still have to buy a car also, we will be cheaper of by buying one of the quite reasonable priced bikes (Chinese) to run around in town and hire once a week a car to do the big grosery shoppings in La Sirena or going towards Santiago.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The Land Cruiser guy is clueless and obviously knows nothing about insurance in the DR. Even the publico drivers with Pepin have to pay more than that for almost zero coverage :)

Full coverage with a good insurance company is the way to go if you have a reasonable value vehicle. I use ProSeguros and I have NEVER had a problem.
They have paid without question, every claim my broker has ever sent them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a car that is more then 10 years old will not get full insurance, apparently (i do not know how it works on collectible cars thou). the rest depends on a make, model and age of the car.
an old jeepeta you mentioned can get a good insurance, accordingly to miesposo, for about 10000 pesos (aanually).
we have a jeep (2002) and full insurance is nearly 37000. my small honda (2002) is twentysometing, i actually do not know :)
personally i think car insurance is a great idea because it is not only about the way you drive, it is also how other people drive.