Cell-phone coverage? With the iPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
What works? Since we're going to be doing quite a bit of traveling around DR, is Orange the safer/smarter option? And can we just buy an Orange prepaid SIM and put it into our unlocked iPhone? We're not looking for data (internet) coverage, just basic local cell-phone coverage for calls within DR.

Jessica

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
If you've got an unlocked iPhone, you can go with any of the carriers. Orange would work fine. Just buy a SIM card and your done. You can top up online or buy pre-paid cards all over the island.

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
Thank you. This helps! Our parents want us to get this first so they can call us. They're too worried about us two girls going to the DR. And we're too excited!

Is Orange the cheapest reliable one? Also, since we're coming first to Cabarete, can anyone recommend a shop there where we can find this?

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
There is an Orange shop in the center of Cabarete. Jonathan can help you.

Windeguy, you are right, Jonathan is a star (so are his mother, working in Dicks for years and his sister working in Friends as a super-friendly waitress - they all have the same smile and speak good English).

The Orange 'phone store is located in El Patio, opposite Dicks, the German bakers and Friends, the French run cafe.

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
Windeguy, you are right, Jonathan is a star (so are his mother, working in Dicks for years and his sister working in Friends as a super-friendly waitress - they all have the same smile and speak good English).

The Orange 'phone store is located in El Patio, opposite Dicks, the German bakers and Friends, the French run cafe.

Thank you. Much appreciated. I've jotted this down.

Jan 17, 2009
There's also an Orange shop inside Janet's supermarket that where you can buy the SIM card. Janet's cashiers also sell Orange pre-paid cards (you'll need them).

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
My dad's buddy's wife who is originally from DR (and was the one who referred DR1.com to me) said that she thinks that we will need to take our iPhone to the Orange shop, without which they will not give me a SIM card. Is this true? Is there a way to get the SIM card without showing the iPhone?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
All you need is a passport to get a SIM card, the phone need not be present. I am not 100% sure with Orange, but I have bought a Claro SIM card for someone else without the phone, using my ID.

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
Maybe it's an Orange thing. We would be very hesitant to show the iPhone to any merchants. Does anyone know if the Claro SIM card will work on the iPhone?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Maybe it's an Orange thing. We would be very hesitant to show the iPhone to any merchants. Does anyone know if the Claro SIM card will work on the iPhone?

Plenty of folks have the iPhone, it is really not that big of a novelty any longer!
I strongly suggest buying a cheapee local phone activated for RD300 and enjoying your vacation instead of worrying about your iPhone.

A SIM card is a SIM card, Claro, Orange, all the same!

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
Great! When I get there, I will check Jonathan's place for a cheapee local phone. Thanks.

cab

Aug 9, 2010
Hi, I just got to Cabarrete, and after checkin' in, I went to this Claro shop opposite San Souza Palace. It was next to a restaurant Hexenkel or so. Anyway, the guy in there sold me a Claro SIM card, and I didn't have to show my passporte or my phone. It had 100 pesos on it for use.

Status
Not open for further replies.