Flying into Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.

worldbfree

May 27, 2008
Can someone please tell me the distance from Santiago airport to Sosua? What is the best way to travel from Santiago to Sosua?

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
its about an hour and a half ride.

not too bad.

as for getting to sosua from there.. it depends when you arrive...

if you are coming in on a "normal flight" then yo ucan take a taxi to the metro or carib tours bus station.. roughly 20-25 bucks for the taxi. and the about 5 or 6 bucks for the bus ride to sosua.

i prefer the metro, as it drops you off at texaco in town. whereas the carib tours drops you off in charamicos.

now, if you are arriving as i do, on that horrible 3am spirit flight out of fort lauderdale...

then you have two options...

hang out at the airport for three hours, and then take that taxi to the bus station and the bus to sosua..

OR, private taxi from the airport straight to sosua.

i prefer the latter.

while the bus route is cheaper by about 50 bucks, its annoying and inconvenient.

i have a taxi driver (whom i was introduced to via bachata here on dr1) and i have now used him 6 times for the past three trips this year.

his car is immaculate. its not a beat up piece of crap. its a very nice modern toyota luxury ride. his air conditioning and stereo are in perfect working order. he's is friendly, and trustworthy, and honest. and EXTREMELY dependable. not to mention, punctual.

i either email or call him a few days before im coming in, and let him know what time i'll be arriving. he's there waiting for me.

when he drops me off in sosua, i tell him what day and time to come back and pick me up. and he's there, virtually to the minute, to take me back to santiago.

i dont mind the bus, i've taken that as well. its just inconvenient, unless you dont mind hanging outside at the airport from 3-6am.

or, when you come back, you would have to hang out for several hours.

when i have my guy get me, he picks me up in sosua at 11am. has me at the airport before 1am for my 3am flight.

this way i can enjoy the entire last day in sosua, instead of on a bus to sti and then hanging out at the airport or viscinity for several hours.

if you are interested, i can send you his info.

as i said, i have used his services on 3 recent trips, and i have at least 4 different friends that have used his services as well. and no one has been dissapointed.

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
oops sorry...

santiago to sosua or vice versa he charges $70us for daytime and $80us for nighttime.

its a fair price, and i was quoted that price by many other drivers as well.

however, i can not stress enough how nice and comfortable johan's car is, or how presentable and friendly he is.

some of the other drivers have some beat up cars, or just looked like guys i did not want to be in a car with for an hour and a half.

and he is a good friend of bachata here on the forum.

he's never let me or any of my friends down.

sorry, i know i already said that, but i cant help but to give praise to someone who truly takes pride in the service he provides.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Charmicos is where Sos?a begins, the western part of town as opposed to the Batey where the Jews first settled and later the Unite Fruit Co. set up offices.

If Bachata (JJ) recommended the guy, you can count on him.. nuf said.

HB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Charmicos is on the Cabarete side?

No, other side...
Here is a map!

sosua-map.jpg

Reactions: waytogo

worldbfree

May 27, 2008
@Naptime
are you a member of the Spirit $9 club? I just recently saw a $29 one way fare for members only to Santiago and was wondering if it's legit...

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
i am. and it is.

there is also currently a special running through novemeber iirc that is 9 each way. that is out of florida. i think they have 29 out of ny or nj

either wya, yeah, when they run the 9 and 29 specials, they are legitimate. they are one way fares from the listed airports.

if i pick my dates correctly i can fly dtw to fll. fll to sti. sti to fll. and fll to dtw.

for 36 round trip. and then taxes.

the taxes are what get ya, especially for the dr. iirc its 130 bucks. and then us taxes as well. that 36 bucks turns into just about $200.

BUT, you have those taxes anyway. regardless of how much you pay for the flight.

so when i pay 270 for a spririt flight, thats not on special. i still end up paying 400 after the us and dr taxes.

i can tell you this... the 9 dollar club is like 40 bucks. if you fly even once to the dr, and plan your trip around thier specials, then it pays for itself on the first flight.

and if you fly multiple times a year especially to sti, then you really save a ton.

granted, you dont have the convenience of flying into pop (if pop or sosua is your destination.) and the flight times are horrid.

but, even when i fly in, and take a private taxi each way, i still save more than 300 bucks versus flying into pop on AA or Delta or Continental.

jet blue is a much better option, if you live somewhere near jet blue like chicago or new york. but i dont have that option being over by detroit.

if there were only a couple hundred dollars differance, i would gladly pay it, and fly into pop. but even after paying a private taxi each way, and getting nickle and dimed to death on spirit with luggage fees, picking your seat, and what not.. it still comes out over 300 less most times.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are both wrong. On the map (very nice one IMO) UP is West! Down is EAST and
to the RIGHT is North and to the Left is South...

You mean you have never seen the sun set on the beach??? With a nice "fr?a" in your hand and a hot lady beside you??? FOr shame!!

HB

Reactions: Tamborista

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
oh yeah.... i forgot the beach faces west.

as for the sunset.. .as much as i would like to see it. 5 oclock i am out of there. i thinkg the latest i have stayed at the beach is 6.

worldbfree

May 27, 2008
@Naptime,
Thanks for the info... Sound like its worth it to join just to travel somewhere. Does that current special ($29) include flying out of Atl?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You mean you have never seen the sun set on the beach??? With a nice "fr?a" in your hand and a hot lady beside you??? FOr shame!!

HB

I have watched many a sunset over Mt Isabella, and you are correct, the beach runs almost perfectly North/South!

28gw1va.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.