Dollar Store - Grocery Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2007
Stopped in at the Dollar Store turned Grocery Store by Ocean Village. Alexandra, from Morua Mai, was there at the checkout. I asked her what she was doing. She responded, "They asked me to be the manager of the store. I thought it would be a good challenge."

She went on to tell me that they are building a full-size bakery, expanding to the space in back beyond the blue tarps, and putting in a coffee shop on the second floor. (She might have also mentioned a book shop, I can't remember- stop in and confirm that, please.)

It will be interesting to see how this progresses. Right now, the customer base seems small. When I go in, the few people who are shopping all seem to be in line at the cashiers, who work extremely slowly, never have change, and for those who use credit cards to pay, have to go to the pharmacy to have them processed.

Knowing Alexandra, she will correct these problems.

However, it would be good to see a full service grocery store in the Sosua/Cabarete area. I wish them well.

Lindsey

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
I agree Lindsay.

Playero is my least favorite place and I've recently taken to driving all the way to La Sirena each week to get some good produce and smiling cashiers who I find are great there.

We used to shop a lot at the Dollar store all the time (despite the slow checkout and their card machine not working at all for a few weeks) when they were stocking some English products that Eddie (I think) was importing. Apparently though, something went wrong with that and he stopped supplying them. Perhaps they should look at that situation again, as I met many fellow Brits who were shopping in there to get their fix of Lyles Golden Syrup, Colman's mustard and Heinz baked beans, etc.

If she wants a list of products that many of us Brits would love to see regularly on the shelves I'm sure we could begin a thread on that subject alone;

Here's the first one, Sharwood's Poppadoms :)

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Actually Eddie's meats are being stocked again. I got some terrific Cumberland saussage just last week.

Bob K

Status
Not open for further replies.