Dealing w/ US Consul in Puerta Plata

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
I sent an email on Monday about a passport problem and haven't heard anything. Not even a form response to say "we got your message and we'll get to it someday."

The simple story is that I entered the DR on March 3 but my passport stamp says Jan 1, 2009! Very strange because my renewed passport is dated Feb 2010. I know I will have to pay a fee when I leave - OK but are they going to look at the date in my passport and try to charge me from that time?

Should I wait for the Consulate? I'm leaving Cabrera on the 15th and the country on the 20th. Any suggestions? I've thought about writing to my senator.

Thanks for any responses I may get!
Susan

Reactions: mike l

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Do you have your plane ticket?? That should be sufficient proof.

The US consular agent is a gem and if there was anything he can do, he will.

However, this has nothing to do with him...it could very well be a trick by some savvy immigration officer looking to cash in on your innocence and lack of awareness when he stamped it. I would hope not but you can never tell here...

HB

Reactions: mike l and waytogo

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
Thanks - And here's what the US Govt can do...

Thanks for the contact, I really appreciate the quick & helpful response.

What the US Govt can do is advise a US Citizen on what might be the next best thing to do.

Susan

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
Hillbilly

Don't have the ticket - I don't do scrapbooks!:cheeky:

The only "proof" I have is the people who picked me up at the airport and the Dominican family with whom I have been living since Mar. 3. Of course the fact that my passport was issued Feb 16, 2010 will help. Just don't want a hassle at the airport at 5am if it can be avoided.
Susan

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Thanks for the contact, I really appreciate the quick & helpful response.

What the US Govt can do is advise a US Citizen on what might be the next best thing to do.

Susan
Chances are, the official US government position is one shouldn't overstay ones visitor visa when the guest of a foreign nation. Particularly when dominicans found to have done the same in the US are arrested and deported. Whether an error was made on the date of your entry or not, you still overstayed.
BTW What happened to your copy of the tourist card? It should have all your info on it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, indeed! After all that is a huge document as to your entry date. I would not worry if you have that...

Funny how scrapbooks are now the rage...

HB

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
Ay, yay, yay. Tourist card. Don't have one. I thought I should have something but I must have handed all the papers to "someone" and no one gave me anything to keep. Life is full of adventures otherwise known as learning experiences. Now what?

Susan

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
no copy of tourist card given

Chances are, the official US government position is one shouldn't overstay ones visitor visa when the guest of a foreign nation. Particularly when dominicans found to have done the same in the US are arrested and deported. Whether an error was made on the date of your entry or not, you still overstayed.
BTW What happened to your copy of the tourist card? It should have all your info on it.

they don't give you a copy of your tourist card here... it is a joke how everything is handled and that is how they can get away with what has just happened to her...

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Clam... calm...

I don't think there's any conspiracy here as others implied, just a somewhat typical sloppy error.

If you don't already have it printed somewhere, can you go online & print your itinerary from the airline, including your arrival flight info. If not, can probably get a receipt including your flight dates when you check-in.

If I were in your position... with the itinerary and the fact that the passport was issued in Feb 2010, I'd be comfortable that I'd have a good resolution to the issue of your entry date when going thru immigration.

ps: you're due to pay 1000 peso for your actual overstay. at worst, be prepared to pay 5000 as if you actually came in January 2009

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
The only date that really matters...

I sent an email on Monday about a passport problem and haven't heard anything. Not even a form response to say "we got your message and we'll get to it someday."

The simple story is that I entered the DR on March 3 but my passport stamp says Jan 1, 2009! Very strange because my renewed passport is dated Feb 2010. I know I will have to pay a fee when I leave - OK but are they going to look at the date in my passport and try to charge me from that time?

Should I wait for the Consulate? I'm leaving Cabrera on the 15th and the country on the 20th. Any suggestions? I've thought about writing to my senator.

Thanks for any responses I may get!
Susan

is the one that shows up on the immigration inspectors computer screen after the barcode on your passport is scanned as you are leaving the country.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Mar 2, 2008
My oh my, what an absolutely horrible situation.

Clam is leaning this country in about two weeks, after a six-mouth stay, and she is anticipating a HUGE problems at the air port for some reason, although she doesn't really know for sure yet, and the US consulate has taken over three whole days to reply to her pathetic wailing. Oh my lord!!!!! What is happening to this world?!?

The US consular agent on the north coast is one of the best and most professional consular agent, anywhere in the world, and also one of the busiest, with many very REAL problems to attend to.

I'm sure after handling the wide variety of other more pressing items, he will take a look at the cause of Clam's anxiety attack, and he will probably have a solution for her very minor and artificially anticipated "problem".

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My oh my, what an absolutely horrible situation.

Clam is leaning this country in about two weeks, after a six-mouth stay, and she is anticipating a HUGE problems at the air port for some reason, although she doesn't really know for sure yet, and the US consulate has taken over three whole days to reply to her pathetic wailing. Oh my lord!!!!! What is happening to this world?!?

The US consular agent on the north coast is one of the best and most professional consular agent, anywhere in the world, and also one of the busiest, with many very REAL problems to attend to.

I'm sure after handling the wide variety of other more pressing items, he will take a look at the cause of Clam's anxiety attack, and he will probably have a solution for her very minor and artificially anticipated "problem".

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Nice helpful post. NOT. Since, as you say, the consul is the best and most professional anywhere in the world, He will handle her request, politely and professionally, as if it were a serious problem, which it is in the eyes of the OP.

Reactions: Tamborista

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Nice helpful post. NOT. Since, as you say, the consul is the best and most professional anywhere in the world, He will handle her request, politely and professionally, as if it were a serious problem, which it is in the eyes of the OP.

I have a feeling a certain member on vacation has HACKED Catcher's laptotch!

Is that you ABC, you can tell me Bro, Catcher would never post this.

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
All is well, have the answer I need

Special thanks to Tamborista and others who left helpful or kind responses.

I have made the necessary contacts and have the information I need to avoid a hassle when I get to the airport.

Susan

Reactions: Tamborista

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Don't have the ticket - I don't do scrapbooks!:cheeky:

The only "proof" I have is the people who picked me up at the airport and the Dominican family with whom I have been living since Mar. 3. Of course the fact that my passport was issued Feb 16, 2010 will help. Just don't want a hassle at the airport at 5am if it can be avoided.
Susan

Electronic (e-ticket) you could download again, maybe?

... J-D.