House Hunting International

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Has anyone else seen this show on TV? Here in POP it is on channel 27 with the old cable boxes.

Premise is they track a person or couple trying to buy a house / apt / condo somewhere .......

Recently they have profiled Punta Cana 3 times in the last 2 weeks! I find it fascinating show - with a peek into the availabilities in places like Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Paris, Vancouver etc.

So for them to profile Punta Cana 3 times, I thought that was pretty good exposure. Interesting that all 3 were expat realtors! The most recent show featured a Canadian couple who purchased a 1 bedroom, 2nd floor unit for 129,000 US. Not bad at all.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've seen at least 4 episodes set in DR - the last one I saw was in Sosua. Like you, I love the show. The realtor in Sosua was [I think] German, so another expat.

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They did my wife and I..... taped interview, house tour... whole 9 yards for our new house.

Just before presenting it to the sponsor, they reminded us that we had to fake the whole thing b/c , of course, we were going to pick the house we built.

We were to inspect however many houses, one being ours and then make our selection. We had just finished building our house.
They wanted us b/c we are solar... green....independent.
They thought that would be topical.

The sponsor (quite rightly) bagged the deal b/c it was a setup.

They are out of LA and the girl loves to travel..... they probably did all those houses in one trip

It is fun to watch...

My wife clammed up for the taped tryout, so we had to lubricate her..... we overserved her and the tryout was an hilarious mess.
We reconvened the next day and told her it was just a "practice" run..... she breezed thru it

WW

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
WW, I was curious as to how they chose the people they filmed. The couple from NJ who bought in Sosua live not that far from me [in NJ]. So, you think they choose a country/city, find a realtor who are working with buyers from abroad, and approach them to film? Makes sense. They probably do the opening bit [filmed at the buyers home in US/Canada/etc] after the sale is done.

It's fascinating to see people of all types looking for all sorts of vacation homes - just saw one filmed in Nicaragua, wow the prices were high there in comparison to DR.

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
AE
In our case, the film team was looking in Nantucket and the realtor (who has a houise in RD) there said "Why not the DR?" Of course, the head girl was all for it.... just switch to HH Int'l.

Then came our green project... which was what she really wanted

I'm trying to recall her name... she finds you thru realtors is my guess.... at least for us..... Holly something, is her name -- lots of fun

You should see the drunken audition... everybody asks "Can we see the out-takes?"... the whole 15 minutes is an out-take !!!
Just gets drunker and drunker... including our daughter who doing the filming.
Take it from me, when the cameraman loses it..... you're toast:cheeky:

My wife was once the star in her college play.... take it from there - downhill!!
Overacting, stage fright... all rolled into one:tired:
And we couldn't tell her anything..... once a star, always a star;)

My experience was that they might "Fudge" the deal a little.... as I said, the sponsor nixed us.... quite rightly!

WW

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
So glad that others enjoy this show. I think it is great coverage for the country too.........

And can we see the video please.............. please...........;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The pay was small.... so small I can't remember it.... $300 or so.

DMV.... the video was on my daughter's computer.... long gone now, much to her mother's delight!!

WW

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
OMG... it's a "reality"-show! You don't actually believe in US-wresting, now do you.

It's entertainment for the really totally bored... for those who Od'ed on CSI and what not. You can't really be serious about wanting to base your pricing ideas and thus investments "plays" on a "reality"-show?

Seriously :tired: ... J-D.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
OMG... it's a "reality"-show! You don't actually believe in US-wresting, now do you.

It's entertainment for the really totally bored... for those who Od'ed on CSI and what not. You can't really be serious about wanting to base your pricing ideas and thus investments "plays" on a "reality"-show?

Seriously :tired: ... J-D.

No, buts its a nice show to watch ;)

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I looked on You Tube and saw clips from one show done in Punta Cana. The company was called Trust Realty. Does that still exist???

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
It's a great program that we used to watch all the time back in Canada. When does it play here? and on channel 27 on the old delancer box?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there was a uk version,but seemed to be more about the people having a free holiday....as very few people actually bought anything. There was usually a commentary at the end saying they were still looking for their dream home ....most often they begin by saying what they dont want...then the program makers show them something they just described that they didnt want in the hope that it will make a better program if they buy it.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
At the end you see the couple or individual signing a document - presumably the offer to purchase.

And it is TV entertainment. For being entertained. Not sure it is reality tv, but it is staged to a certain extent.

Watch it for what it is. I like being a bit of a voyeur seeing inside other people's homes ...............

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wasn't there a woman here on DR1 who had been one of those buyers on House Hunters International? I think she was [maybe] from Kansas. Or Kentucky. She was posting last year for sure...... Anyone remember who that was?

AE

Reactions: Tamborista

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007
seen all of them.

One of the ones I saw on Punta Cana, the folks seemed like they had not down much "Due Diligence" as the wife asks "What are these bars on the windows for?". The realtor lightly brushed over the question - "well you are not going to be here all the time so its added protection" or something like that. I was yelling, I have my bars for when I AM THERE. I dont worry much about getting jacked when not there since I dont have much. But getting jacked when I am there, entirely different story....

But, getting back to my purpose of adding here, was funny to listen how the realtor brushed aside that question. He didnt even add, "Note that the bars are on the inside so as not that easy to be removed" That was the FIRST thing I noticed.

I was interested in the Sosua one since the couple was from NJ. There's a bunch of folks from NJ in and around Sosua/Cabarete. But then again, there's alot of us folks in NJ and we do like to get AWAY, haha.