Do Customers have a right to perferences?

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
I have used a popular legal company (DR1 recommended) with very good and very professional results. I have a new case that I think could result in a good sum for me and the company. I requested a male attorney to work with and all Hell broke out. The secretary tried to force me to accept this female attorney I decline firmly and then she informed that no male was present and one will contact me Monday. I received a call from the secretary today and that I would have an appointment next week. She then added that the firm acts as a team and tried to force a female on me again. I told her the team concept was well and fine with me, but I insist on working with a male attorney, if females are working on the case behind the scenes ok with me, but I would only work this the male, if that was not sufficient I would take my case to another firm. She said that would be fine. As a customer I think my preference should not be slighted. Is this normal in the DR.? In the states the firms usually gets 33 1/3 percent of funds recovered and preference is not a problem.

Reactions: mike l

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Can't wait for the board feminists to weigh in. :cheeky:

Good luck.

BTW-IMO, yes, you have a right to ask for female counsel. And they have a right to tell you to go pound sand.

Preference works both ways.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have used a popular legal company (DR1 recommended) with very good and very professional results.

Was the original work done for you by a male or female attorney?
Couldn't you have kept the same one that gave you the professional results you speak of.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Something seems wrong if a secretary is telling you that you can take your business elsewhere. I seriously doubt the senior partners are aware - and if they are, well... it really is time to take your business elsewhere.

For professional services, I think you have the right to hire the person you believe will do the best job for you. It's not as if attorney's themselves aren't as selective/arbitrary in choosing jurors for what they perceive will be the best outcome.

That said, I had female counsel in Santo Domingo do a phenomenal job on a very critical issue for me. In my business experience in DR, very often it is the women that are much more detail oriented & diligent.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Often here the concept of who the customer is - gets lost. YOU are the customer and you can have a male lawyer or a female lawyer as you want!

And if you don't get what you want - show them who the customer is and take your business elsewhere!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Without the OP posting the law firm I really can't comment.

If it's Guzman Ariza, I found it highly doubtful a secretary would treat a client like that. If that was the case, I'm sure she would get her ass kicked.

Wanna, I will open this thread up again when you send me via PM details of the law firm. Then they will be given the opportunity to respond.

No PM, the thread will be deleted.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have been told by the OP it was Guzman Ariza.

This is the first time in 8-10 years of knowing Guzman Ariza that a complaint of this type has been made, hence I'm HIGHLY skeptical.

I will open this up and allow them to respond.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I find it unusual too. Maybe what is going on is that the receptionist is trying to follow instructions and with the cultural and language differences it can come across different.

My experience with them has been pretty good. Stick up for what you want and i am sure they will accommodate you.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Without the OP posting the law firm I really can't comment.

If it's Guzman Ariza, I found it highly doubtful a secretary would treat a client like that. If that was the case, I'm sure she would get her ass kicked.

Wanna, I will open this thread up again when you send me via PM details of the law firm. Then they will be given the opportunity to respond.

No PM, the thread will be deleted.

Guzman Ariza is more professional in how they would handle the situation than your statement. If in fact this happened, professional organizations would use this as a training opportunity.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Guzman Ariza is more professional in how they would handle the situation than your statement. If in fact this happened, professional organizations would use this as a training opportunity.

I would like to think so too :)

E

engineerfg

Then again, as with all things in this world, it all depends on how you ask...

"Hi I would like to deal with Senior X or Senior Y"

vs.

"Oh diablo, I'll take whoever you have available, but I can't stand any Perras working on my file"

I know there's a time and place to ask for male and female counsel - I know it sounds mean to say it, but men are just better in some types of situations, and women in others (especially if it comes down to you needing to speak 'frankly' - ie. imagine - "well I want to sue my doctor for screwing up my vasectomy, check out this scar he left!...")

But HOW you ask is often times more important than WHAT you ask! Finesse...ya tu sabias?

Reactions: AlterEgo

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
I have been told by the OP it was Guzman Ariza.

This is the first time in 8-10 years of knowing Guzman Ariza that a complaint of this type has been made, hence I'm HIGHLY skeptical.

I will open this up and allow them to respond.
---------------------------------------
Not everyone with a complaint takes it directly to DR1. Some take it instead to Fabio in private. Nuf said.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
---------------------------------------
Not everyone with a complaint takes it directly to DR1. Some take it instead to Fabio in private. Nuf said.

Of course... but usually when people post on the board about a company or service, it's gone beyond that stage or they are really irked about something.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
OK, I was being murky, and you shouldn't be so skeptical Rob. I too was really irked at Guzman Ariza's attorney, and took the issue directly to Fabio, instead of bringing it up on DR1.

I know that all businesses get complaints. How they deal with them makes a difference to their clients or customers. I chose to look for another law firm.

I have high regards for Fabio and he does a great job here for DR1 readership, but Fabio probably isn't the attorney who will be working for you as a client.

And for what it's worth Rob, DR1 has ALWAYS done right by me (you might not hear that often enough). DR1's customer service should be the model for other businesses here in the DR.

Mar 2, 2008
I have to second El forastero's comments.

A person seeking representation at a reputable law firm might always get the senior partner. There are many junior members of the firm, and they often get assigned the cases that do not "qualify" for senior representation, (ie, the case will not generate the appropriate revenue).

The is a simple fact of life, both here, in the US, and the UK. Everyone knows this, so why pretend otherwise? This is not a new concept.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have no idea how the lawyers are appointed to cases at Guzman Ariza, so I'll guess we will have to wait for a response from them.

On a broader note...

If you have an issue, going direct to the source is always better than sharing your problems on a public message board. Providing whatever company or service you're un-happy with actually listens and works with you to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, few and far between in the DR.

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
Do Coustomers have a right to perferences?

I just wanted information to find out if this unfortunate situation was the norm here ( Dominican Republic) or not. I had every intention of informing the attorney I have an appointment with of the conversation I had with the receptionist, it was at your insistence Robert, that I privately name the company. As stated before I had a very skilled and competent legal council before, and have an appointment with the same male attorney. The problem was with the receptionist response to my perference.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oftentimes, you have no who is truly doing the work.

The $300/hour person sloughs it off to the trainee at $50/hr. Thats how they make their money and how they bill more than 24 hours day.

The Preliminary work is done by the underlings, the big decisions are made by the experienced partners.

That said.... you have the right to interface with whomever you like... provided you pay that persons rate.

WW

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I just wanted information to find out if this unfortunate situation was the norm here ( Dominican Republic) or not. I had every intention of informing the attorney I have an appointment with of the conversation I had with the receptionist, it was at your insistence Robert, that I privately name the company. As stated before I had a very skilled and competent legal council before, and have an appointment with the same male attorney. The problem was with the receptionist response to my perference.

Yes I insisted, because it's important for other posters to know the business or service in question, plus allow that service or business the opportunity to address the problem.

I'm sure they will resolve the issue and you will be happy.

Let me know the outcome via PM and I'll post it here in the thread.

Until then, let's close this.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
I apologize. A new receptionist at the firm just didn't handle the client as she should have.

At Guzm?n Ariza we do respect the client's choice of attorney of contact, although as everybody is aware, other attorneys are usually involved in the case. In fact, one of the advantages I have found of having a large (for the DR) firm is that when a client has an argument with a lawyer, for whatever reason, we can offer him or her the chance to work with another attorney.