How much does it cost to install an air conditioner here

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
If you buy it new - often the price comes with installation! Otherwise it will depend on the installation situation, some are dead easy and some are much more complicated.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
An LG split unit 18,000 BTU with installation cost me $31,000 pesos a couple months ago.

That is roughly $850 U.S.

My brother in the States does that work and was amazed at the price, stating it would be several thousands dollars up there.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
You mention you are in an apartment. Do you have the approval from the landlord to install an air conditioner? Will it become his property once you install it?

Please elaborate? No comprendo..

I've never seen the owner of a rented apartment keeping the air conditioner. The tenant only responsibility is to cover the hole once he moves out, but the AC is his/her.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
That is fairly uncommon. I've never seen one with that clause. All I have seen is that you need to return the property to the original state.

Feb 7, 2007
You mention you are in an apartment. Do you have the approval from the landlord to install an air conditioner? Will it become his property once you install it?

Well...how it works here, after you move out, you remove the A/C and just need to "tapar el hueco"

You would have to read the lease agreement. It may have a clause that states that any improvements done that are attached to the property remain.

Well, at the time of your move-out you just "dis-attach" it, so where's the "improvement"?... ehh.. mira, aqui nunca habia un aire, yo hice ese hueco para cojer mas fresco.... pero yo le tape, cual es tu problema?

Anyway, most people here "live" the last two deposits (even the landlords suggest to do that, I have heard it with my own ears), so... anyway, there's nothing to haggle about.

Anyway, "improvements" as mentioned in lease contracts (yes there are many lease contracts with that, residential and commercial) are to the respect of INMUEBLE (real estate, construction, etc.) not to MUEBLES y ELECTRODOMESTICOS. As classified by DGII, A/C is electrodomestico, so .... the landlord would actually have no legal recourse.

On the other hand, I have seen many contract clauses unenforceable in the DR. Example: my friend bought a land in barahona, and put some contract clauses in the contract with the seller, but the lawyer (GuzmanAriza) warned him those clauses would be virtually unenforceable in the DR. They would be enforceable anywhere else in the first world... so there you have it.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
I want to install an airconditioner in my apartment.

As mentioned most new AC units come with installation included. Here in Higuey a simple re-installation (after it's been taken down) costs about RD$1500 plus refrigerant gas, which is about 60 pesos per pound (in a tank, not in a can).

I found out the best deals are in Corripio, the units are VERY cheap (compared to other stores, at least here in Higuey) and they carry good brands. I really like Nedoca, have it both at home since 4 years ago and in the office. For example we got 12000 BTU Nedoca with 3 years extended guarantee for the office, a year ago, for 19.000+ pesos, installation included.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I want to install an airconditioner in my apartment.

Okay, well first you need to speak with who owns the apartment and ask him if you are allowed to do so. He says yes, cool, but then you need to ask him if he is easy to allow you to leave the system in place once installed (get everything down in ink) you don't want to be carrying a system around with you.
Your landlord will most certainly hit you with a change in agreement (I see you live in and all inclusive place now) and you will be paying your own bills (if you don't they are sharp on closing you down), that said, it might be a good move if you plan on moving in long term. We had Aircon in our last house and never used it, litterally, wasn't worth turning on as we bought such a cheap set up and thought it would be as good as those advertised 10 times the price.
Anyway, I can install it for you if you buy it, I can even go and help you not make the mistakes we made if you like.
Buying a AC system is like buying a car for me now, I can appreciate the qualtity so much more, the proof are in the pounds/dollars/pesos.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
I just bought a Lennox 12,000 btu split for 14,500 dop. Very simple to install, you can do it yourself if you're handy.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I have a question I havent heard asked...are you interested in a window mounted unit or a wall mounted unit?

papillionsprincess

Aug 26, 2008
I am interested in a wall mounted unit, a guy is trying to sell me 12,000 btu with for 12,000 pesos, it was used for one year then he moved. Is that a good deal, and it does not include installation.

Feb 7, 2007
You will pay about 2000 pesos for installation. The cheap generic 12000 BTUs go for about 19000 to 20.000 pesos, including installation. A friend just bought Black & Decker on special in Plaza Lama for 17.000 pesos, down from almost 20.000.

I guess if the unit is in GREAT condition it is OK price. I would try to get to reduce the price to 11.000 pesos though, you have to pay at least 2k more for installation.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have just had 2 split air conditioning units installed in my house in the capital and the cost of installation was included in the 29,000 pesos price at Plaza Lama .if you do not get the shop to install the units it can void the warranty .

Status
Not open for further replies.