Cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Hi all,
My DR vacation is fast approaching! Only about 3 more weeks! So, I'm starting to think about the details. My boyfriend smokes like, a pack a day. I don't smoke at all, but anyway....he only likes Camel Menthol Silvers and I'm wondering if they have a big variety of cigarettes in Cabarete. I was thinking probably not...silly that he is soooo picky, but he is. So should he bring his own? Is that even legal?
Thanks!

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Hi all,
My DR vacation is fast approaching! Only about 3 more weeks! So, I'm starting to think about the details. My boyfriend smokes like, a pack a day. I don't smoke at all, but anyway....he only likes Camel Menthol Silvers and I'm wondering if they have a big variety of cigarettes in Cabarete. I was thinking probably not...silly that he is soooo picky, but he is. So should he bring his own? Is that even legal?
Thanks!

buy them duty free at the airport really cheap

Hi all,
Thanks!

Well maybe this is a good opportunity for him to quit that nasty habit. You dont smoke so it sounds like a personal problem for him and some clean air for you.

Mar 2, 2008
I definitely agree with BadPiece.

However, if your boyfriend is adamant about not quitting, I should think he would be better off bringing his own down. I am sure he could find his brand if he looked long and hard, it might not be worth the effort, and after all, you guys will be on vacation. Why detract from your good time together?

Again, he certainly should quit, but perhaps while on vacation is not the time to do it.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
My Non-Smoking Dominican Friends

What I like about Dominicans (Yes, Chip...):
Few Dominicans smoke and those who do (according to my observation) mostly have copied that vice from their gringo contacts.
Thus you'll find Dominican smokers mainly in tourism related environments. (Many sankies and putas smoke... :disappoin )

Needless to say, I avoid smokers. :mad:

donP

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
I wish...

Well I certainly wish he would quit smoking. Both my parents have always smoked and I find it to be pretty disgusting. However, my boyfriend is a GREAT man in every other way, so I figure I should pick my battles and let him keep the smoking so long as he is kind, hard-working, and faithful. No man is perfect, and more than one woman has lost a good man by too much nagging! Still, I would love it if he even showed an interest in quitting...maybe a couple years down the road? I can only hope.

But thanks for the advice, all. Nice to hear smoking isn't as much of a thing amongst the locals. It's so unhealthy AND it's an unnecessary expense. We will probably bring them with us just to make sure he has the ones he requires :/

Along those lines, what is the smoking etiquette situation in Cabarete? Is it ok on the beach? How about in the bars or restaurants? Again, if I had my way, we wouldn't be worried about this nonsense. But I'd like to know what's considered polite so he is not offending anyone by smoking somewhere he shouldn't be.

PS- We can read Spanish so we'll know "No Fumar" signs if we see them :)

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
you can smoke almost anywhere, no public buildings of course, things used to be very tolerant but let's go after smokers in order to not deal with "real" issues. cigarettes are cheap here, very good quality, US materials, RJ reynolds, phillip morris, dominican tax included is cheap. come down, try a few brands, find what he likes, take home a carton each, save money.............

Status
Not open for further replies.