Wireless internet from a USB dongle thingy

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have someone staying here on holiday for a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately their hotel doesn't have wifi and they really need internet.

Does anyone have any experiences with these new USB internet dongles that Claro and Orange are selling? If so;

How much are they?
Can you get a pay as you go data package?
Can you get one without a contract?
Is is compatible with a mac?

Cheers folks

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
bring your blackberry and you will have internet anywhere.
If not get a prepaid banda ancha in Claro for 15 days. Cost=1,395 pesos for 1.5gb

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Thanks Johnny, but they don't have a blackberry, just a macbook.

Will try Claro.

Feb 7, 2007
I tried Claro Banda Ancha. It works OK most of the time. But now my ZTE modem is not working. It's not detecting USB device. It should be still under warranty, so I have to go and see what the people on Jodetel tell me... I paid almost 2.000 pesos for the chinese crap with the prepaid service.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've used Claro Banda Ancha pre-pago for several months now.

It worked most of the time, although very slowly indeed. The worst part for me was that every time I paid there would be huge problems getting it re-activated, no matter what I did. (Making payment two days before cut-off date, phoning customer service, driving 6kms to the nearest office, goat sacrifices).

When I get back to the DR next week I'm going to try out Orange's service.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
No...that is why. Thanks Acira.

I just dumped the BB, instead have Google voice, which I can pick up messages on my Itouch with wifi.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
My blackberry did not work in DR even though I paid for data services in my home country to US cellular. Can you elaborate?

Who is your US carrier.
WI-FI works for free, btw....with SKYPE, Windows live Messenger totally free.
Which BB you got Mainegirl?

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
My friend tried Claro Banda Ancha Prepago one month ago, never got 3G signal for 2 weeks here, even in Claro office in Santo Domingo )). So, they say it's fast 3G, but that's not true.

If not get a prepaid banda ancha in Claro for 15 days. Cost=1,395 pesos for 1.5gb

That's the price of sim card with data package. The dongle costs another ~ 1500 pesos. If you already have your dongle, you need to enter DNS adresses and all other connection info manually in your connection settings. Their dongle comes with some software that sets all settings automatically.

Last edited: