Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How did the D.R leave Haiti so much Behind?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How did the D.R leave Haiti so much Behind?

In your humble opinion, when and how do you think The Dominican Republic has surpassed Haiti? And what can Haiti learn from its primo?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

DR brought spanish culture, haiti brought african culture.

the problem is over time people become very nationalistic and unwilling to look at other approaches.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Haiti's early leaders purged their country of it's knowledgeable businessmen, tradesmen and craftsmen, discouraged foreign immigration and made some very poor decisions like deciding to repay France and the Rural Code. The Rural Code commenced the rapid denuding of Haiti and the dismantling of the once efficient agricultural system. It's been a blame game since then with the elitists caring little for their own people.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

do you think haiti had a choice about repaying france? that kind of stuff went on in other colonies too; i suspect france could have forced repayment somehow (perhaps by embargoing international trade) since that kind of money isn't usually sent willingly.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Bye View Post
    do you think haiti had a choice about repaying france? that kind of stuff went on in other colonies too; i suspect france could have forced repayment somehow (perhaps by embargoing international trade) since that kind of money isn't usually sent willingly.
    How would they force it if the Haitians had already kicked their arses off the island numerous times?

I understand a boycott was threatened but could it have been Boyers and others obvious distrust of whites that led him to believe he had no other choice? Remember, all "foreigners" were removed from the island and Hatians were forbidden from marrying them and they certainly would have no rights at all if they chose to stay in Haiti. I think if they had not had this prejudiced attitude they could have weathered the storm and found willing buyers for their suger as it prevented them from trusting "foreigners" enough to negotiate.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Haiti and France

This is a interesting question. I think France put a lot of pressure on them. Remember they did try and get the Colony back by sending a large army. I am still not certain about the story around that and how succesfull the Haitians where in figthing Napoleans army or if they just mostly died of malaria. But I think the Haitians must still have been afraid of France and respected them a lot. Maybe they thought by paying the damages to France they would get accepted somehow by France and also avoid another attack. So maybe they paid out of respect and fear.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

There are many complex reasons why this has happened, but the bottom line comes down to education and how much corruption there is in each country. It is the same reason why Costa Rica has left it's neighbors behind (even though culturally and historically they are all pretty similar). It's not even a matter of democracy vs. dictatorship as we have all had dictators, but I guess it depends how "benevolent" the dictator has been. So you have Trujillo in the DR who at least paid off the national debt, maintained order, etc... vs. the papa and baby docs who all they cared about was taking everything for themselves...then you have examples like Chile which developed very rapidly in spite of (or maybe because of) having a ruthless dictator in charge.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suarezn View Post
    There are many complex reasons why this has happened, but the bottom line comes down to education and how much corruption there is in each country. It is the same reason why Costa Rica has left it's neighbors behind.
    by that scale cuba should be #1 by now. puerto rico should also be doing better than it is

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

by that scale cuba should be #1 by now. puerto rico should also be doing better than it is
    Like I said there are many complex reasons, a lot of them historical, but if you take the last 100 years or so what I said apply. Both Cuba and Puerto Rico are special cases where both economies are skewed by the systems they currently live under. BTW I believe Cuba WOULD be number one in The Caribbean if they had their current level of education and a relatively non-corrupt government. Remember Cuba was already pretty developed before Castro, even though they lived under another "take it all for himself" dictator (Batista).

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Because the Haitians were a threat

I was speaking with a political dissident from Haiti about four months ago and asked basically the same question. The answer he gave me was that when the Haitians overthrew slavery and their European overlords in the early 1800's they instantly became a threat to colonial powers in general and the United States in particular. Remember the United States was having a difficult time deciding its slavery issue. Four decades later an American civil war would be fought to help decide the slavery matter but during the 1820/30s when the Haitians freed themselves from slavery the US was not prepared. Just like any threat to the US economic interest, it over-reacted. The US placed an embargo on Haitian exports (which was substantial from what I have read). The embargo was made easier due to the fact that colonial powers were happy to squash Haitian influence. The Haitians were encouraging not only slave revolts but also independence in central and south America (ie. Simon Bolivar).

Thus the fledgling nation from the very start began to suffer economically. It makes sense to me that the United States would do whatever it took at the time to end Haitian influences in a hemisphere dependent on slavery. It also makes sense that other European powers would assist in Haiti's isolation during their time of waning strength.

I cannot address the anthropological or cultural influences stemming from the African influences. But obviously there was a "brain drain" which started early in its history and continues today.

Yet I find it ironic that the nation to cast-out colonial slavery instituted another form of slavery called restavek. Taking children from poor families and making them servants. Although the man I spoke with said that is not slavery but a benefit to the poor servant who is feed, educated, and given a trade. It has just been grossly abused so that now it resembles slavery.

Regardless, this is what I know and I look forward to others comments on the topic.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast