Uasd

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
"The UASD is the third largest university in the Americas, with 172,000 students, around 2,500 professors and more than 3,000 employees. The university offers degree courses in Science, Health Sciences, Economic and Social Sciences, Judicial and Political Sciences, Agriculture and Veterinarian Sciences, Humanities, Engineering and Architecture, Arts and Education. Some 115 degrees are on offer, and the UASD graduates around 7,000 students a year."

7,000 graduates a year from a total of 172,000 students? What are the rest of them doing?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not much. You have to work hard to flunk out. If you are in the right political movement there is no way they can kick you out. Look at the teacher/student ratio!!
It is state-owned and offers really poor academics. You get through by pluck, resistance and grit. Intellectual persuits are superficial, party-sponsored dustings of useless information. Can you imagine, the employees have a union! The students a federation! The teachers have a union! Academics be d@mned!..

Their pitiful graduation rates puts them near the bottom (4% graduation rate? Gimme a break).
Administratively, it is a bad joke with no reliable records available to students.

And the really sad part is that the kids that go there think they are getting an education, but when they get into the real world and up against Intec, PUCMM or Unibe or Apec graduates, they are lost. Their sole recourse is politics, a government job or entering the informal sector to survive..

Sorry, but I have issues...

HB

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
"Can you imagine, the employees have a union! The students a federation! The teachers have a union! "

Really, you think that employees having a union is a problem? And the teachers and students have their own representative organizations - I must say that I can't imagine them not having unions, - unless you believe in a dictatorship.

Whatever the problem is, blaming unions is definitely a red herring.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
"Can you imagine, the employees have a union! The students a federation! The teachers have a union! "

Really, you think that employees having a union is a problem? And the teachers and students have their own representative organizations - I must say that I can't imagine them not having unions, - unless you believe in a dictatorship.

Whatever the problem is, blaming unions is definitely a red herring.

Good thing those unions are there. Imagine what the 4% graduation rate would be without them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It;s not that they have unions (Are there unions at Oxford or Cambridge? Harvard or Yale or Georgetown??) it's that they use them to hide their inefficiencies.
Today's Listin Diario, from page 1: With a picture: UASD. Area de Registro un puro "Calvario".....That means you get crucified there!!!
"...uno de las grandes deficiencias de la academia".

They don't teach, they don't work, they do not keep records. But they have millions to play with...gee whiz...all in the name of populism....

It is more of a Potamkin Village than anything else!!

HB

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Not much. You have to work hard to flunk out. If you are in the right political movement there is no way they can kick you out. Look at the teacher/student ratio!!
It is state-owned and offers really poor academics. You get through by pluck, resistance and grit. Intellectual persuits are superficial, party-sponsored dustings of useless information. Can you imagine, the employees have a union! The students a federation! The teachers have a union! Academics be d@mned!..

Their pitiful graduation rates puts them near the bottom (4% graduation rate? Gimme a break).
Administratively, it is a bad joke with no reliable records available to students.

And the really sad part is that the kids that go there think they are getting an education, but when they get into the real world and up against Intec, PUCMM or Unibe or Apec graduates, they are lost. Their sole recourse is politics, a government job or entering the informal sector to survive..

Sorry, but I have issues...

HB

HB, Do you have knowledge of UNI CARIBE? My wife graduated there in june with a law degree-- she gets her final papers today for abogada. Is this a somewhat reputable university? Can she expect to be taken seriously when looking for a position? She transfered from USAD 4 yrs. ago for all the malarky you stated.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
"The UASD is the third largest university in the Americas, with 172,000 students, around 2,500 professors and more than 3,000 employees. The university offers degree courses in Science, Health Sciences, Economic and Social Sciences, Judicial and Political Sciences, Agriculture and Veterinarian Sciences, Humanities, Engineering and Architecture, Arts and Education. Some 115 degrees are on offer, and the UASD graduates around 7,000 students a year."

7,000 graduates a year from a total of 172,000 students? What are the rest of them doing?

Some are taking 1 or 2 courses a semester, just like some students in the US, who are working their way through. I have a daughter in the USA that just finished her second Associate Degree from a community college. to get both degrees, has taken here 8 years. But on the other hand she is free and clear no loan repayments.

Here they don't have to worry about the loans but if they are working an can't go full time may take a while.

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
bienamor

Thanks bienamor,
your reply makes a lot of sense. I do know one or two students at the university, and they are working their way through college. And I am told that some of the professors are incredibly lazy. I have a lot of respect for those who are struggling with work and study, but it is regrettable that resources are being spread so thinly. A smaller number of real students and teachers would be of more benefit to the country. -

- And it seems that UASD is spreading its wings into other cities and even into Haiti.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
HB, Do you have knowledge of UNI CARIBE? My wife graduated there in june with a law degree-- she gets her final papers today for abogada. Is this a somewhat reputable university? Can she expect to be taken seriously when looking for a position? She transfered from USAD 4 yrs. ago for all the malarky you stated.

It's cheap, maybe 1 step above UASD, but not even close to being an INTEC, PUCMM etc. It's the only Uni I know here that students can go one day a week and get a degree, fact!

Everyone here is either studying law or medicine. Most graduating lawyers are taught to remember, not think. No bar exam or anything like that, it's a joke.
Ask someone like Fabio Guzman, he wil tell you most are worthless and any that are lucky enough to end up at his firm require lots of re-education.

Last edited:

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
It's cheap, maybe 1 step above UASD, but not even close to being an INTEC, PUCMM etc. It's the only Uni I know here that students can go one day a week and get a degree, fact!

Everyone here is either studying law or medicine. Most graduating lawyers are taught to remember, not think. No bar exam or anything like that, it's a joke.
Ask someone like Fabio Guzman, he wil tell you most are worthless and any that are lucky enough to end up at his firm require lots of re-education.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. To bad. There seems to be an awful lot of lawyers around.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Everyone here is either studying law or medicine.
or marketing and accounting. There always seems to be a glut of DR students and grads in these professions.

And yet many of the grads in these "professions" that I have met seem lacking in some of their field's knowledge and in critical thinking, and many don't act very professional at all.

I have long wondered why there is no rigorous bar exam for lawyers and board certification for doctors and accountants in the DR as there are in so many countries (not just OECD nations). Afraid perhaps of the results of such sorting? :cheeky:

Reactions: bienamor

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
One thing about UNI CARIBE is the classes were 4 hrs. and a max of 20 per class. Apparently there were auditors? or whomever there about a yr. and a half ago. Shook the place up as far as requiring more work, no dismissing class early etc. This was shortly after the idea law students would intern for 8 mos. before getting their designation. Wonder what happened to that.