50% poverty in central London? (hold off mods)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I'm in the UK for a couple of weeks and been watching BBC tv and all the usualy crap. On the news this week it has claimed that 50% of children in central London are living below the poverty line.
The same reporter reports on how for every child an English girl has and is unemployed will gain ?94 per week per child (on top of her ?86 per week)and free council housing.
The same reporter that reports on the most rediculous of crimes we have in the UK. A family of 14 get so much income support that they are and not paying tax (obviously) that they are earning the equivelent to a couple on a a ?165,000 per year job. That is ????sterling.

I've worked and paid that government for 20 years to do this sh1t with my money and people ask me why I left England:ermm:

Anyway, I don't think this should be a closed thread as I am trying to get response from some of our longer serving Expats and natives.
Would our Dominican brothers an sisters abuse the system like the English are. Need cash, have a kid!!
It isn't about money in my experience in the Republic, it is more about expectation.

Anyway, what you guys think?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hell yes, dominicans already think children are blessing rather than burden and if the government payed for kids poor would put rabbits to shame by popping offspring left, right and center. the brats would still live on the cheapest formula but what cars would parents drive!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
hell yes, dominicans already think children are blessing rather than burden and if the government payed for kids poor would put rabbits to shame by popping offspring left, right and center. the brats would still live on the cheapest formula but what cars would parents drive!

Jajajaja, first time you've made me laugh into nothingness!!! Well done!!:cheeky:

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I think the whole UK welfare system is bad (and other words). I feel particularly incensed because like you I paid in all my life yet my pension has has no increase for 10 years. It is encouraging to see that the new government has proposed steps to tackle benefit fraud. If the British government can institute actions to tackle fraud why can't the RD government do the same?

Reactions: mike l

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
well, i read the 1st 10 posts and blatantly decided practically every answer was stupid or dubiously magically uninformed. I advocate closing it. Who cares if its DR related, just because of the mind blowing suppositions presented I suggest closing it.

And BTW if you want to bitch about welfare, then why wont you see how many subcontractors and vendors vie for long term contracts and feasibility disbursements with the Defense Department.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
I always though a system that pays for each kid is downright daft - my proposal is pay for the first kid - pay extra 50% for the second - freeze it for the third & take it away if they have a fourth.

Well that's the figures I'll admit to in a public forum anyways ;-)

Aug 19, 2004
"On the news this week it has claimed that 50% of children in central London are living below the poverty line." - Probably true - only the very rich or the very poor live in central London. Beyond the centre you have significant deprivation - just walk a few block east from The City to see it.

The same reporter reports on how for every child an English girl has and is unemployed will gain ?94 per week per child (on top of her ?86 per week)and free council housing.
The same reporter that reports on the most rediculous of crimes we have in the UK. A family of 14 get so much income support that they are and not paying tax (obviously) that they are earning the equivelent to a couple on a a ?165,000 per year job. That is ????sterling.

You will always find cases like that - doesn't mean everyone lives like that though or wants to. Welfare dependency needs tackling certainly. If it is available to Domnincans I am sure they would take it.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Better to have a welfare system then non at all.
There will be alway's back doors in any such systems but the ones who really need it, deserve to have it as most of THOSE people worked a long time and payed for that system also.

Have nothing more to say on this topic, find it quite offensive towards the ones who really need such systems to survive...

Reactions: Africaida

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Better to have a welfare system then non at all.
There will be alway's back doors in any such systems but the ones who really need it, deserve to have it as most of THOSE people worked a long time and payed for that system also.

Have nothing more to say on this topic, find it quite offensive towards the ones who really need such systems to survive...
You realize there is almost no social welfare system in the DR, right?

So every child brought into the world in the DR knows he's got to make it himself and only has himself and family to depend on.

One of "CB Law of Rhetorical Economics" said:
The more you subsidize something, the more of it you create.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
What America gives these kind of hand out in such glory and huge quantities?

Dominicans are not the only one doing it.
Puerto Ricans do it.
Jews do it.
Hill bellies do it.
Black Americans do it.

In total the Mayority and the minorities in the US do it. The mayority ratio is greater than the minority.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
I always though a system that pays for each kid is downright daft - my proposal is pay for the first kid - pay extra 50% for the second - freeze it for the third & take it away if they have a fourth.

Well that's the figures I'll admit to in a public forum anyways ;-)

that sounds about reasonable in my books...

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
You realize there is almost no social welfare system in the DR, right?

So every child brought into the world in the DR knows he's got to make it himself and only has himself and family to depend on.

Which is why you see 19 year old women with 50 year old fat pasty Frenchies or Italianis, right? Got to make the road myself, by myself and no one else.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I find threads like this very enlightening.

It's nice to know what people really think, because when it comes down to it, it's not about extolling the virtues of rugged individualism, or harping on the old "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mantra.

It's just another excuse to talk crap about poor minorities.

I wonder out loud when people make ignorant, untrue comments about Puerto Ricans and others being nothing but welfare cheats why they never once mention the billions of dollars of corporate welfare Fortune 500 companies routinely lobby for and receive, our tax dollars freely given to the very corporations that are running this country into the ground and sending all of our manufacturing jobs to Asia and Mexico so they can increase their profit margins.

Or how it is that a company can get away with using an offshore mailing address to evade federal taxes while still maintaining a corporate presence right here in the good ol' US of A.

Oh, I know why. Because when it's a white man in a suit, it's not handouts or cheating-it's true Ayn Rand capitalism at it's most succinct. When it's a poverty stricken child of color, or someone who just so happens to find themselves temporarily down on their luck, it's welfare. And welfare is berry berry bad. Especially for all those lazy Puerto Rican welfare cheats.

Like I said, these threads are always very illuminating and really get at the heart of what people really think.

*To whichever mod is in charge of this section-I request that you do not close or delete this thread. If anything, feel free to merge it with the off-topic thread in the "General" section so this discussion can go on.

Reactions: Lucille
Mar 1, 2009
Not everybody on welfare is trying to rob the system or not working hard enough. When we lived in Newark, NJ, my dad worked two effen back breaking jobs and my mom had to clean homes and toilets. We still didn't have enough for rent and food at the same time and we weren't going to starve just to make Ron Paul and Glenn Beck happy, so hell yeah we took that damn check, also that box of hard @$$ cheese and nasty peanut butter and loved it. So shut the hell up.

Reactions: Africaida

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
*To whichever mod is in charge of this section-I request that you do not close or delete this thread. If anything, feel free to merge it with the off-topic thread in the "General" section so this discussion can go on.

Excellent idea but the way it works is that the mods of the living forum would have to "move" this thread into the " General stuff" forum then one of you fine gentlemen from that forum would merge it with the "off topic thread."

Just trying to help the new mods ;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I find threads like this very enlightening.

It's nice to know what people really think, because when it comes down to it, it's not about extolling the virtues of rugged individualism, or harping on the old "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mantra.

It's just another excuse to talk crap about poor minorities.
Oh, please. If minorities weren't so disproportionately represented you'd hear nothing. Cliche's become cliche's because there is a strong element of broad truth in them. Just like your comment that remittances are "defacto" welfare for the Dominican Republic show a certain bias toward a given sector of the Dominican population and hold an element of truth...but is not fully accurate: because "not all" participate in a given activity doesn't mean a disporportionate number don't.

Berzin said:
I wonder out loud when people make ignorant, untrue comments about Puerto Ricans and others being nothing but welfare cheats why they never once mention the billions of dollars of corporate welfare Fortune 500 companies routinely lobby for and receive, our tax dollars freely given to the very corporations that are running this country into the ground and sending all of our manufacturing jobs to Asia and Mexico so they can increase their profit margins.
Exactly what "corporate welfare" programs are you against, Berzin? When were they passed and what are the names of the legislation?

I can name specific transfer payment "welfare" programs. Can you name specific "corporate welfrare" programs?

Berzin said:
Or how it is that a company can get away with using an offshore mailing address to evade federal taxes while still maintaining a corporate presence right here in the good ol' US of A.
I dunno. Maybe buried somewhere in the 71,684 pages of IRS code making such actions 100% legal?

Let me ask you a question: where does the computer manufacturer Lenovo (formerly the IBM PC dividion, sold to a Chinese corporation) exist and where should it pay taxes? Their corporate HQ is in NC, but they have fewer than 30 people working there. Their largest offices are in Hong Kong and Singapore. Their R&D is in China and Japan. Their sales offices are in Paris, China and Singapore. Their manufacturing plants are in China, the US, India and Mexico. Their BoD has 7 Chinese, 5 Americans, an Aussie and a Czech.

And the REASON jobs are "shipped overseas" is because of onerous labor costs, taxation and regulations in the USA, all gubmint caused, no doubt with the best of intentions by concerned legislators.

That laptop you use? Not US manufactured. That TV and entertainment equipment? Not US made. The clothes you wear? Not US made. That nice camera equipment? Not US made. Your car? Guaranteed, most of it not made in the US. YOU are as much responsible for those jobes "shipped overseas" as I am because you, as a consumer, seek to maximize your purchasing power and companies seek to fill your demand. Just as we all do.WE created the market, companied meet our demand.

When you use all US manufactured goods, foods and clothes, THEN you stand on moral high ground about eeeeeevil "corporations shipping jobs overseas."

It's a global economy. Economic protectionists haven't figured that out yet.

Berzin said:
Oh, I know why. Because when it's a white man in a suit, it's not handouts or cheating-it's true Ayn Rand capitalism at it's most succinct. When it's a poverty stricken child of color, or someone who just so happens to find themselves temporarily down on their luck, it's welfare. And welfare is berry berry bad. Especially for all those lazy Puerto Rican welfare cheats.

Like I said, these threads are always very illuminating and really get at the heart of what people really think.
Yes. Now we know the heart of what people really think...and frankly I'm surprised. I never realized you harbored such anger toward white people...:(

BTW: Rand was totally against any gubmint involvement with the creation of wealth, so your "capitalism at it's most succinct" comment could not be more inaccurate vis-a-vis "handouts". And she wrote hundreds of pages about the character of man, and the importance of honor even in the face of oppression. Obviously you've not read Rand because if you had you'd not have made such an innacurate statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.