A huge explosion in Santiago

TheHun

May 4, 2008
There was a huge explosion in Santiago around 8:42. It seems to come from the Gurabo area, and lighten up the area almost to daylight.
I live in Villa Maria, near the HOMS, but the windows where shaking badly.
Anyone knows what the hell happened? :surprised

The Hun

Reactions: SantiagoDR

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
some kind of gas plant blew up in tamboril. apparently ambulances are on the way and its pretty serious. this is breaking news, only happened 5 minutes ago

x2_2462d6c

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Holy crap! It was like a nuke.
I kept telling Chip to stop the moonshine business in the backyard.;) j/k
I hope there are no casualties, but considering the size of the explosion.....

The Hun

TheHun

May 4, 2008
It seemed to be a series of explosion, 2 smaller without any mushroom effect, than the big one.

The Hun

Last edited by a moderator:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We saw a bright orange sky here in Jarabacoa as we had dinner on the porch. We couldn't figure our where or what.

Our best guess was

spacecraft.gif

Grace for those injured...

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hope everyone is OK. Family that lives not too far from Tamboril is telling me the ground shook violently when it happened.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I translated the news summary:

One person is not accounted for, various people are seriously wounded from the gas plant explosion in the neighborhood of Jobo, Tamboril, Santiago. Among the injured are three burned firefighters. From this sinister event six vehicles were destroyed and buildings around the Ana Gas plant were also destroyed, including a sausage factory.
Part of the wounded were taken to Cabral y Baez hospital, the public hospital in Tamboril and other centers of assistance. At this moment no one has identified the wounded or the cause of the tragedy.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
I translated the news summary:

One person is not accounted for, various people are seriously wounded from the gas plant explosion in the neighborhood of Jobo, Tamboril, Santiago. Among the injured are three burned firefighters. From this sinister event six vehicles were destroyed and buildings around the Ana Gas plant were also destroyed, including a sausage factory.
Part of the wounded were taken to Cabral y Baez hospital, the public hospital in Tamboril and other centers of assistance. At this moment no one has identified the wounded or the cause of the tragedy.

A similar gas plant has been built currently in Sosua at the gate to Sosua Ocean Village. There is something to think about nice and easy.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I was riding back from Pto Plata to Cabarete heading up the hill past Fun City when we saw the flash & orange sky. Lasted maybe 4-5 seconds from that distance. Huge explosion to be visible that far away.

Hoping against hope that no one was harmed.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It happened lees than a half mile from my house on 27. I was on my way home from the airport but my wife said she saw a huge flame and the sky turned red not to mention the house shook. I'm sure there will be considerable injuries and death unfortunately. God be with them.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My wife said it was like the "Sun" from here, we are on the far side of Santiago.

I saw the neighbor, the in-laws and my wife looking in that direction on one of the security cameras and I scanned in that direction. But I thought they were looking across the field at the other neighbors houses, and I did not scan the sky.

It was not until this morning when I read the report that I asked the wife what they were looking at.

There was a passenger jet flying over at the same time going in for a landing at Santiago Airport. The pilots must have gotten a tremendous view, perhaps even a little scary to them, as they were heading about directly into it. (I could hear the jet on the security microphones)

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR