Hello!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacase

Aug 11, 2010
Greetings everyone, I just joined this board because it seemed to be an open community talking abou the DR.

Myself and three other friends are looking to take a man trip down here in October. We are trying to get an idea of some of the best places to stay (Currently Looking at a small Villa) as well as where the best local night life is, and of course where were meet lots of beautiful ladies. So for us, we are looking at golf, fishing, scuba diving and women and alcohol. Also wouldn't be above hiring a local guide to make sure are in the right spots.

On a side not I am also using this trip to look around and see if I like DR enough to get a small vacaation condo. Any advice would be great for a group of young single successful black men with a little money in their pocket. to have a good time with. I know personally, I tend to prefer spots with the locals, the hotel experience is not my style.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Myself and three other friends are looking to take a man trip down here in the best local night life is, and of course where were meet lots of beautiful ladies.

Any advice would be great for a group of young single successful black men with little money in their pocket to have a good time with

Greetings man trip men,
Well, maybe if you pool all your money together, one of you can have fun with the beautiful ladies and the others can watch. What do you consider little money in your pocket and how long of a stay.

Greetings everyone, I just joined this board because it seemed to be an open community talking abou the DR.

Myself and three other friends are looking to take a man trip down here in October. We are trying to get an idea of some of the best places to stay (Currently Looking at a small Villa) as well as where the best local night life is, and of course where were meet lots of beautiful ladies. So for us, we are looking at golf, fishing, scuba diving and women and alcohol. Also wouldn't be above hiring a local guide to make sure are in the right spots.

On a side not I am also using this trip to look around and see if I like DR enough to get a small vacaation condo. Any advice would be great for a group of young single successful black men with a little money in their pocket. to have a good time with. I know personally, I tend to prefer spots with the locals, the hotel experience is not my style.

You definately need to hire me as your guide on the north coast for your trip, trust me,

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You definately need to hire me as your guide on the north coast for your trip, trust me,

I personally vouche for Badpiece' knowledge of the subject, however, negotiate a daily rate and DO NOT agree to buy him his beer, it might get costly.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I personally vouche for Badpiece' knowledge of the subject, however, negotiate a daily rate and DO NOT agree to buy him his beer, it might get costly.

I will second that. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Have fun and wear your raincoats!!!!!!

shawn27

May 24, 2010
LOL everyone seems to have the same questions.. I still think my first time to DR was the best- completely naive to the games some Dominicans play.

cab

Aug 9, 2010
LOL everyone seems to have the same questions.. I still think my first time to DR was the best- completely naive to the games some Dominicans play.

I remember the first time I agreed to hitch a ride on a motoconcho. I just got out of the resort I was staying in, and was walking to a restaurant about 4 blocks away. This guy on a motoconcho asked where I was going and offered to take me. I politely refused saying I needed the walk and that it was only 4 blocks away. He kept insisting, stating that it was nearby and that he was on his way there and finally said he would take me for free. I relented, but only because I was hungry. Once we got to the restaurant, he looked at me and waited for me to "pay him". I decided to give him 25 pesos, but his face and demeanor immediately changed as if he was sorely offended. I knew 25 pesos was adequate, but I ended up giving him 25 additional pesos and telling him to never let me see his face again. I also told him to let his buddies know that they should never approach me. Not that saying anything to him made a difference, but it allowed me to satisfy my hunger pangs without dissatisfaction.

Number one major rule in DR for anything: negotiate prior to agreement. Except, of-course health-care, where you just pay what you're asked to, glad that you are better off while praying that you've not been infected with anything.

sacase

Aug 11, 2010

Maybe his daily rate can be paid in beer! We are looking at being there a week. We are debating about getting a villa or staying in a hotel, just want to be able to party and have a great time while staying out of...legal trouble..lol Only rule we have is no excess baggage comes back to the states.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
If you want to play golf, I take people to Playa Grande, and if there is room, we can also take Bushbaby too....just help out with the gas, and a couple of beers will do...
this is on the north coast though

shawn27

May 24, 2010
I remember the first time I agreed to hitch a ride on a motoconcho. I just got out of the resort I was staying in, and was walking to a restaurant about 4 blocks away. This guy on a motoconcho asked where I was going and offered to take me. I politely refused saying I needed the walk and that it was only 4 blocks away. He kept insisting, stating that it was nearby and that he was on his way there and finally said he would take me for free. I relented, but only because I was hungry. Once we got to the restaurant, he looked at me and waited for me to "pay him". I decided to give him 25 pesos, but his face and demeanor immediately changed as if he was sorely offended. I knew 25 pesos was adequate, but I ended up giving him 25 additional pesos and telling him to never let me see his face again. I also told him to let his buddies know that they should never approach me. Not that saying anything to him made a difference, but it allowed me to satisfy my hunger pangs without dissatisfaction.

Number one major rule in DR for anything: negotiate prior to agreement. Except, of-course health-care, where you just pay what you're asked to, glad that you are better off while praying that you've not been infected with anything.

First time I got hustled like crazy.. Hadn't found DR1 yet. From the 800 pesos taxi rides, 900 peso cocktail's- they had me for a loop. Now I always TELL the taxi driver what I'm paying because I have a better understanding of distance in places in Santo Domingo. I can actually WALK to the colonial zone from Gazcue (during the day.) 2nd time was a charm. You know the funny thing about Dominicans? They remember you. I hadn't been there 8 months and people I had seen before remembered me. And it was also funny how the price's drastically reduced for the same cocktails and cab rides I had the first time.

sacase

Aug 11, 2010
Just to give you a little more background, I have traveled internationally a fair amount, I know that I tend to prefer to hang out with the locals and make friends with the locals rather than hanging out with the tourists. I can hang out with Americans back in the States, I don't need to hang out with them on vacation.

One of the other guys coming with mentioned Terra Linda Resort any one know about that? Oh yeah we are looking to stay in or near Sosua.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
More than likely, you guys are going to end up in one of the touristy parts of the DR. So you're probably going to be partying with other tourists. There will be locals around. But most will be looking to fleece you out of as many pesos as they possibly can. That's what they do in tourist towns.

How's your Spanish?

Because partying with the locals in the DR, and I mean really partying with folks who have no interest in your money, means speaking Spanish and venturing outside of the tourist areas. Something you may not want to do on your first trip, unless you are either fluent or have friends who are, and who know the country.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Tambo, you have to admit, arroz&habichuela, is an interesting character.!!!!

You seem to have lost some weight Tambo. lol:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh he is colorful, or colourful if you are a dr1 Euro-spellchecker!

sacase

Aug 11, 2010
More than likely, you guys are going to end up in one of the touristy parts of the DR. So you're probably going to be partying with other tourists. There will be locals around. But most will be looking to fleece you out of as many pesos as they possibly can. That's what they do in tourist towns.

How's your Spanish?

Because partying with the locals in the DR, and I mean really partying with folks who have no interest in your money, means speaking Spanish and venturing outside of the tourist areas. Something you may not want to do on your first trip, unless you are either fluent or have friends who are, and who know the country.

My spanish is minimal, two of the other guys are fluent, the fourth guy, I am not sure. Thanks for all of the advice so far, I am really looking forward to this trip.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
Just to give you a little more background, I have traveled internationally a fair amount, I know that I tend to prefer to hang out with the locals and make friends with the locals rather than hanging out with the tourists. I can hang out with Americans back in the States, I don't need to hang out with them on vacation.

One of the other guys coming with mentioned Terra Linda Resort any one know about that? Oh yeah we are looking to stay in or near Sosua.

"hanging out" with the locals will not be a problem in Sosua.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006

Well, Sosua is a tourist town. So you're going to be partying with tourists. You really can't avoid it unless you hole up in your hotel room/villa. But don't worry. They won't just be American tourists. There will be Canadians, Germans, Brits, Italians, and even quite a few Russians as well.

Oh, and there will be plenty of locals too.;)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
My spanish is minimal, two of the other guys are fluent, the fourth guy, I am not sure. Thanks for all of the advice so far, I am really looking forward to this trip.

If you're serious about going to the DR spend the money for the Rosetta Stone Spanish (LA) course. Even if you only get through a few weeks of lessons before trip #1 it will make a World of difference in the quality of your trip. Spending a few more dollars (there are many for $13 - $50) on a pocket translator will also be helpful and they make a great gift when you're leaving.

Someone already pointed out the most striking feature of the 2nd trip to the DR which is everybody, EVERYBODY from the 1st trip will remember you so represent in the manner in which you wish to be remembered because you will be remembered.

Another thing. Don't plan your itinerary until after you've arrived and settled in. All plans made prior to that are subject to abandonment so don't pre-pay for anything.

North coast newbie

Jul 30, 2006
Everything you are looking for can be found in Sosua except golf. There is a course in Puerto Plata but it gets mediocre reviews. Playa Grande is the place to play but it is almost two hour away.

Status
Not open for further replies.