Test your Codetel Flash speed - it is probably lower than you are paying for.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I got a letter for my overpriced (more than $100 US per month) Codetel Internet flash plan reminding me that we should have a speed increase for internet connections at no additional charge. (In the US you could get a combined faster telephone/Internet and cable TV plans for about $100 US per month).

My current speed is 1.1 Mbps down and 135Kbps up as measured at codetel.dom.do. Speakeasy.net spead test got similar numbers.

I called the customer service number 809-220-1111 ( you can get support in English if needed) and I should already have 1.5 Mbps down and 256 Kbps up since their recent free speed upgrade in June.

I have a report number to correct this and supposedly I will have the higher speeds within two working days.

P.S. They say they have plans up to 20 Mbps download available,but I can only imaging the ridiculous monthly fee for them.

Reactions: waytogo

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I got a letter for my overpriced (more than $100 US per month) Codetel Internet flash plan reminding me that we should have a speed increase for internet connections at no additional charge. (In the US you could get a combined faster telephone/Internet and cable TV plans for about $100 US per month).

My current speed is 1.1 Mbps down and 135Kbps up as measured at codetel.dom.do. Speakeasy.net spead test got similar numbers.

I called the customer service number 809-220-1111 ( you can get support in English if needed) and I should already have 1.5 Mbps down and 256 Kbps up since their recent free speed upgrade in June.

I have a report number to correct this and supposedly I will have the higher speeds within two working days.

P.S. They say they have plans up to 20 Mbps download available,but I can only imaging the ridiculous monthly fee for them.

As you say there was a speed increase in June. I download English movies all the time and the average movie would take 2 hours, now cut in half to 1 hour. Now my speed is 1684 down on average and 256 or so upload. I couldn't believe I actually received this upgrade for free, sweeeeet.....
I have already downloaded over 250 movies.....In English

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A Codetel technician came in response to my request to get the upgraded speed that goes along with the rate that I am paying. Unfortunately he discovered that until the fiber optic lines are installed in Cabarete, getting to that speed is not possible.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
A Codetel technician came in response to my request to get the upgraded speed that goes along with the rate that I am paying. Unfortunately he discovered that until the fiber optic lines are installed in Cabarete, getting to that speed is not possible.

Isn't that called S O L .........
I was curious what your outcome was...

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Windeguy,
Here near center of Cabarete, we've been paying for a 1.5 mb line for a few years. We get 1.56 down/.65 up fairily consistently.

Similar to you, we were supposed to get an upgrade but to 2.0 speed. It hasn't materialized & we were told the same - lines not good enough. I think we were getting 256 up & I do believe that the 650 up we're getting now is an upgrade.

Anyhow, 1.5 speeds down are possible here. We have them (using speakeasy as a test).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windeguy,
Here near center of Cabarete, we've been paying for a 1.5 mb line for a few years. We get 1.56 down/.65 up fairily consistently.

Similar to you, we were supposed to get an upgrade but to 2.0 speed. It hasn't materialized & we were told the same - lines not good enough. I think we were getting 256 up & I do believe that the 650 up we're getting now is an upgrade.

Anyhow, 1.5 speeds down are possible here. We have them (using speakeasy as a test).

DSL speed depends greatly on the distance to the central station. You are closer than I am and can get the higher speed. When the fiber optic lines are installed, that distance won't matter.