School start date put back again

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Is this happening all over the RD? Collegio Alianza here in LT was supposed to start on the 17th, then the 18th now its the 30th! Excuse is No Books! It would appear that our Ministry of Education has no teachers who can teach without books and they can't organise the printing of school books, do you think they could organise a p..s up at a brewery? If so I'll mail (ha,ha) the Presidente Brewery.

valeriearnold

Aug 12, 2010
school books

I visited D R in July and wenr to see a small school in peuto plata, the principal opened it although it was during the holiday. I promised him that when I got home I would send some books pencils etc out to the school, hr wrote down his e mail address,unfortunaltey it is not recognised, I need to speak with him as I am having trouble sending the parcel,too big for normal post, it weighs 35kg. The address I have is: Peurto Plata, republica Dominica, Padre Granero, Calle Principal, does anyone know this school? the telephone number is 829 494 6620, I cant phon as he is french and does not speak Engish and I dont speak french. Please help if you can. Val

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I suggest valeriearnold that you repost to the North Coast section of this forum. This covers the Puerto Plata area and there are a lot of helpful folks around there.

valeriearnold

Aug 12, 2010
school books

Hi Thanks for answering my post. I have to admit I am not very good with finding my way round comp, being a senior citizen I find it very complicated, how do I find the north coast? sorry for being so stupid, Valerie

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I visited D R in July and wenr to see a small school in peuto plata, the principal opened it although it was during the holiday. I promised him that when I got home I would send some books pencils etc out to the school, hr wrote down his e mail address,unfortunaltey it is not recognised, I need to speak with him as I am having trouble sending the parcel,too big for normal post, it weighs 35kg. The address I have is: Peurto Plata, republica Dominica, Padre Granero, Calle Principal, does anyone know this school? the telephone number is 829 494 6620, I cant phon as he is french and does not speak Engish and I dont speak french. Please help if you can. Val

Valerie,

First of all, the address that you have isn't quite right. It should be:

NAME OF SCHOOL OR PRINCIPAL
Calle Principal
Padre Granero
Puerto Plata
Rep?blica Dominicana (not Dominica - that is a different island)

You should also know that sending packages through the mail is often a lost cause since they frequently don't arrive. You could send it via courier like UPS, but that is extremely expensive. There are private mail services/forwarders who could handle the package, but the cost could be prohibitive. For heavy items like school supplies, unless you hand carry them in luggage, it is often wiser to purchase locally instead of sending.

Does the principal speak Spanish? If so, I can probably put you into contact with someone in Puerto Plata (I am not there right now) who could call him and get a correct email address for you.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Well Val as a senior citizen myself I understand your problems but just scroll through the names of the different forums and you will find North Coast. Mind you La Profe's observations were on the nail.

valeriearnold

Aug 12, 2010
Hi, Thank you so much for your help, The address was written down by the pastor so thankyou for putting that right.I have phoned a couple of forwarding agents and you are quiite right it is very expensive, It really does look that I will have to go back out there with the goodies. I did try to find somewhere in the DR to purchase them, I phoned their embassey in London, they promised to get back to me but never did. I dont know if the padre speaks spanish because of a language barrier we did not speak much. I wish I had looked into it a bit more before I bought so much, I just got carried away with what I thought they could do with. Thanks again, Valerie

valeriearnold

Aug 12, 2010
Iglasia Biblica Renacer,
Padre Granero;
Calle Principal
Republica Dominicana.
Pastor Milien Dieufils.

Would this be correct?

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Pastor Milien Dieufils
Iglesia Biblica Renacer
Calle Principal
Padre Granero
Puerto Plata
Republica Dominicana.

Would this be correct?

It is almost correct. Please see my corrections in blue. The fact is, however, that since the mail service is practically non-existent and courier or freight-forwarding services are so expensive having the correct address is not really important.

School supplies are readily available in Puerto Plata. You can go to several different bookstores - Rodali, or Cafemba or Ripoll - or even La Sirena or Casa Nelson.

The only other thing you could consider, depending upon where you are located, is finding a "puerta a puerta" service that sends a box via a ship in a larger consignment.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Is this happening all over the RD? Collegio Alianza here in LT was supposed to start on the 17th, then the 18th now its the 30th! Excuse is No Books! It would appear that our Ministry of Education has no teachers who can teach without books and they can't organise the printing of school books, do you think they could organise a p..s up at a brewery? If so I'll mail (ha,ha) the Presidente Brewery.

I know that the public school in Jarabacoa opens without new books, and Yris opens her's without new books, and she does it for a reason. She doesn't want to order more books than she needs so she waited until registration is complete so she know what she needs. Once ordered she has the books within a week. She has enough from years gone by and lots of lesson plans and exercises to get the children through the first couple of weeks.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
the ministry of education has just overhauled their whole curriculum - the program they were using since 1994 has been changed. so, after 16 years of the same old, same old, they've been spending some time orienting the teachers for the new stuff. public schools are set to open tuesday - eventhough the books for the new program aren't all out yet.
colegios are a little different. if they didn't open before th15th of the month, they can't legally charge a full month of tuition - i guess they're enforcing it this year, because i've heard of a few schools that were set to open the 17th and the schools decided to push it back to not have to pay the teachers without getting paid the tuition because of the 'late' start date.

valeriearnold

Aug 12, 2010
It is almost correct. Please see my corrections in blue. The fact is, however, that since the mail service is practically non-existent and courier or freight-forwarding services are so expensive having the correct address is not really important.

School supplies are readily available in Puerto Plata. You can go to several different bookstores - Rodali, or Cafemba or Ripoll - or even La Sirena or Casa Nelson.

The only other thing you could consider, depending upon where you are located, is finding a "puerta a puerta" service that sends a box via a ship in a larger consignment.

Hi, did as you sugested and finally found a very nice man who is trying to help ut there are 2 problems, 1) he doesn't know if there will be any duty or taxes to pay, or because it is a gift, he said there may be a phrase I could write on the customs form which will exempt all duty etc, any suggestions on how to check this out?. 2) It will be delivered to the school, which I believe fiishes at midday, and if no-one is there to take the parcel it will be returned to me together and i would have to pay again.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
the ministry of education has just overhauled their whole curriculum - the program they were using since 1994 has been changed. so, after 16 years of the same old, same old, they've been spending some time orienting the teachers for the new stuff. public schools are set to open tuesday - eventhough the books for the new program aren't all out yet.
colegios are a little different. if they didn't open before th15th of the month, they can't legally charge a full month of tuition - i guess they're enforcing it this year, because i've heard of a few schools that were set to open the 17th and the schools decided to push it back to not have to pay the teachers without getting paid the tuition because of the 'late' start date.

Really? Yris pays her teachers all year, and she charges parents the whole year also, although her rates haven't gone up for three years while her teacher's salaries have.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Hi, did as you sugested and finally found a very nice man who is trying to help ut there are 2 problems, 1) he doesn't know if there will be any duty or taxes to pay, or because it is a gift, he said there may be a phrase I could write on the customs form which will exempt all duty etc, any suggestions on how to check this out?. 2) It will be delivered to the school, which I believe fiishes at midday, and if no-one is there to take the parcel it will be returned to me together and i would have to pay again.

1. The fee for sending puerta a puerta should include any customs duties. It sounds as if you found a regular shipper, not a specialized one.

2. I have no idea about this except to observe that an "829" area code is most likely a cell phone. Can you include the number with a request for them to call before attempting delivery?

valeriearnold

Aug 12, 2010
customs duty

The specialized ciuriers were way to expensive and not very helpful until I found Menzies Aviation Group by doing what was suggested and looking up couries for puerta plata, he has really tried to help but he did not know about the duties or taxes, I will try to phone the embassy in London. I shall ask the couries re the phone call, the number I have is a mobile.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
The specialized ciuriers were way to expensive and not very helpful until I found Menzies Aviation Group by doing what was suggested and looking up couries for puerta plata, he has really tried to help but he did not know about the duties or taxes, I will try to phone the embassy in London. I shall ask the couries re the phone call, the number I have is a mobile.

One thing that might help would be to find out if the school has a RNC number or is a registered organizaci?n sin fines de lucro. The chances of not paying duty in that case are much improved.

I am sorry I cannot help more. If I were actually in Puerto Plata, there are other things I could do, but since I am currently in the US, I am somewhat cut off from my contacts.

valeriearnold

Aug 12, 2010
Just to update you on my parcels to Pastor Milien Dieufils, I have found a courier company, it will cost just over ?200 but as I have already bought everything I shall pay for the delivery, I just hope there are no charges the other end, I have tried to find out, even wrote to the embassy in London, enclosing a s.a.p but they have not answered. so heres hoping. I have also been communicating with the pastor. \thjank you for your help. Valerie

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just to update you on my parcels to Pastor Milien Dieufils, I have found a courier company, it will cost just over ?200 but as I have already bought everything I shall pay for the delivery, I just hope there are no charges the other end, I have tried to find out, even wrote to the embassy in London, enclosing a s.a.p but they have not answered. so heres hoping. I have also been communicating with the pastor. \thjank you for your help. Valerie

Enclose something totaling the contents as having a value under $200/US

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

AE