BBC Secret Tourist

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i think the first in a series of programmes on the BBC called "secret tourist" was originally shown at the end of july.
it may have already been mentioned on DR1, but some of the programme is about an english family sent for a holiday to the all-inclusive "fun tropical" hotel in puerto plata. the idea is that the programme investigates health, safety, numerous complaints, etc.

the documentary is only 'ok', but for those who remember, it is no 'cook report'.
i watched it with the wife last night. the interest in watching was only for the 'dom rep link'.

there was nothing really 'shocking'. the fact that the 12yr old girl was served beer (to take to her parents - even though the barman didn't know that), simply did not make me the least bit angry. although in england, i am sure this is seen as criminal, comparable (imprisonment wise) to armed robbery.

the BBC certainly seemed to make a case against the hotel and everything was leading up to a show-down with the manager near the end of the programme.
the BBC wanted everything on camera, the manager wanted a meeting off camera beforehand, etc.

......and then......and this was the bit that surprised me (and it really shouldn't have done)......... the wife accused the BBC of purposefully trying to damage the tourism image of the Dom Rep.

I mean, the hotel really did seem grotty at best. there were obviously issues with food care and hygiene. the BBC made a direct attack of that particular hotel, not the DR as a whole. Obviously hoping (and this will never happen) that the DR will take note and universally improve standards for the tourists who pay their money.

The wife though......and this is so typical.....thought it would be better to say nothing......and you should never, ever say anything against the dom rep as it is after all only a small country that doesn't have the resources of....blah, blah, etc.

I am not trying to open up a debate or anything. i just wanted to share with you all yet another instance of (and you all know this) how defensive dominicans can get about what are seen as criticisms of their country from outsiders.

me? i don't give a toss for either the "fun tropical hotel" or the bbc's "secret tourist".

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Basically, it is my understanding that Fun Tropical is one of the lower end AI hotels in Playa Dorada (I could be way off base here).

As such they do a lot of cost cutting to make ends meet with the cheapest of the cheap tourists that come for Europe. Very few Americans and only a few low-end Canadians, I am told.

As a result, you might see the odd food handling boo-boo, but we haven't heard of any major outbreaks of food related illnesses like we did about the hotel in Rio San Juan..

Scandal sells, so probably the BBC was trying to create something. I am sure the familyhad a good time. Too bad they were not DR1ers they could have had a ball!!

HB