Dominican Welfare...The Facts?

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
The thread concerning Londons welfare got me thinking.Someone made a comment as to the limited Dominican welfare system.What exactley is the extent of the Dominican welfare system?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Zero or almost zero. We have the odd Government program, but it's minimal. People depend on the support of family and friends.

They might be poor in the pocket, but most are not poor in the head, unlike many more developed countries.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hundreds of thousands of people receive money through welfare type schemes like tarjeta solidaridad and coupons for gas (bonogas).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Zero or almost zero. We have the odd Government program, but it's minimal. People depend on the support of family and friends.

They might be poor in the pocket, but most are not poor in the head, unlike many more developed countries.
^^^This^^^

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Kind of ironic that there is very limited welfare with the ever growing and massive deficits....Wonder where all the money goes?......That's a rhetorical question....Let's raise some taxes on gasoline and call it indexation......

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
This topic will go looking at the few answers already where I thought it would go...
A lot of comments from some who forget that they come from a well fare state themselves and if they should have need for it, they will use it for themselves also.

@Chiri : are those governement owned institutions or are we talking about NGO's here?

Reactions: MikeFisher

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This topic will go looking at the few answers already where I thought it would go...
A lot of comments from some who forget that they come from a well fare state themselves and if they should have need for it, they will use it for themselves also.

@Chiri : are those governement owned institutions or are we talking about NGO's here?

That is the government. They also have random and schedules food box gifts.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

Let's see, the folks above your post were the OP, Robert, Chiri, me and Andy Griffith.

I can't speak for the others, so I'll answer for myself (and my family):

I will NEVER use the US welfare system. I could never qualify. It's doubtful I'll use the US Medicare system (as long as I stay in the DR) even though I have paid into it through today for 46 years, since it's inception, and pay into it still. In the US, Social Security, Medicare, UC, SSD and WC are "insurance" programs that workers pay into. Should they ever NEED them...of course, SS and MC are mandatory, you are automatically enrolled on your birthdate...like car, health or life insurance, you have paid for them already. They aren't free.

There is a difference between paid entitlements and unpaid entitlements.

"Welfare" is gubmint subsidies for the poor, infirmed and handicapped by qualification.

So your statement is inaccurate for me. Maybe you meant the other folks. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
re: DR:
there is a system called solidaridad and bono gas, as stated by chiri. bono gas recipients receive some money for propane gas (for cooking). solidaridad deposits monthly small amounts of money to poor families (can be picked up with ATM card).
Solidaridad > Inicio

re: using welfare in a country of our origin:
following her car accident my mother was a user of polish welfare - disability benefit. her right arm is held together by a piece of metal and she cannot perform manual labour. her case was regularly reviewed and benefits renewed. she is now off it as she reached pensioner age and she recevies a pension. she has worked hard all her life, paid taxes and government insurance.

Reactions: MikeFisher

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
There is the government retirement-pension plan that was started about 4 or 5 years ago. Not sure if anybody has collected from that yet, or if anyone ever will.

INFOTEP - 1% of total payroll of every business - used for free vocational courses for the public like sewing, languages, etc.

There is the government health insurance - which is really just a tax because the government hospitals have no doctors or medicine or electricity.

Payroll taxes go to the employment accident program. When an employee has an accident on the job, this will pay a % of some months salary.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Payroll taxes go to the employment accident program. When an employee has an accident on the job, this will pay a % of some months salary.

miesposo (employer) tells me it is called riesgo laborar. should the employee have an accident the company will pay him/her full salary for 6 months. for the next six months employer pays some and this accident program pays some. later on he/she will receive benefits.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Welfare and personal insurances through either employment or through a personal pension plan which you in person pay for through your career years are two total different things.
Sorry if I mix them through each other for the ones who feel offended by that, God forbid you should ever need welfare...WOW, I am shocked that any body should feel ashamed of the fact that you could maybe be needing welfare, live can have its odd hick ups which you not alway's have under control.

Now, what I would like to know if there are criteria here in the DR for people who ask for welfare benefits.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Welfare and personal insurances through either employment or through a personal pension plan which you in person pay for through your career years are two total different things.
Sorry if I mix them through each other for the ones who feel offended by that, God forbid you should ever need welfare...WOW, I am shocked that any body should feel ashamed of the fact that you could maybe be needing welfare, live can have its odd hick ups which you not alway's have under control.

Now, what I would like to know if there are criteria here in the DR for people who ask for welfare benefits.

oeps, sorry Belgiank was logged in but this is a quote of Acira ;)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Some folks have more pride, planning and personal responsibility than others.

You know the saying...the higher you climb, the harder you can fall :bunny:

Love to hear more about the welfare programs running here in the DR since most people here probably cannot afort any other system that would carry them through some unlucky moments in their lives.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You know the saying...the higher you climb, the harder you can fall :bunny:
You know the saying: save for a rainy day.

Where I grew up we didn't ever think of depending on gubmint. We fended for ourselves. Neighbors and family circled the wagons if someone had a "hiccup." Sounds Old School, I know, but that is how many folks still live.

Many Americans are like that. That one way we're different from other cultures.

Dominicans are largely like that. If a neighbor has problems, folks are out there to help in whatever small way they can. That's what many of those "roadblocks"...a rope held across the street stopping traffic to raise $$$ for an operation...is all about.

Dominicans may be poor, but they are VERY generous for their families and neighbors in need. That is something I love about this country.

A beautiful characteristic of the culture, IMO, is that every Dominican brought into the world here knows from an early age they only have themselves, their family and neighborhood to depend on for a safety net. There is no whining for more gubmint cheese like in much of the First "civilized" World, although do-gooder First Worlders keep trying to tell these fine folks how miserable they should be, and how gubmint should provide all for them...just like home in the rich but morally bankrupt First World.

Folks here may be poor in the pocket, but they are rich in their hearts. The First World could learn a lot from the culture here. In many respects we should be ashamed for how WE let our culture become dependant on gubmint and not family for their safety net.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i am not sure there is any "asking" involved as such. lot of it is very political - i know many poor people who received money and goods from a party they support...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
You know the saying: save for a rainy day.

Where I grew up we didn't ever think of depending on gubmint. We fended for ourselves. Neighbors and family circled the wagons if someone had a "hiccup." Sounds Old School, I know, but that is how many folks still live.

Many Americans are like that. That one way we're different from other cultures.

Dominicans are largely like that. If a neighbor has problems, folks are out there to help in whatever small way they can. That's what many of those "roadblocks"...a rope held across the street stopping traffic to raise $$$ for an operation...is all about.

Dominicans may be poor, but they are VERY generous for their families and neighbors in need. That is something I love about this country.

A beautiful characteristic of the culture, IMO, is that every Dominican brought into the world here knows from an early age they only have themselves, their family and neighborhood to depend on for a safety net. There is no whining for more gubmint cheese like in much of the First "civilized" World, although do-gooder First Worlders keep trying to tell these fine folks how miserable they should be, and how gubmint should provide all for them...just like home in the rich but morally bankrupt First World.

Folks here may be poor in the pocket, but they are rich in their hearts. The First World could learn a lot from the culture here. In many respects we should be ashamed for how WE let our culture become dependant on gubmint and not family for their safety net.

Cobraboy, oh boy oh boy

Do you really think you have all the wisdom in the world for yourself and nobody else have?
Do you really think that its all that different in Europe?
Well, in fact, it IS different. We are raised with the same value's as you are BUT we have alway's a safety net, one that is payed for by 99% of the working people and that includes unemployed people, people who have a pension, etc...

Sure, you can be proud that you have sustained enough security for you and your family but I know for a fact that there is not much that has to go wrong in an Americans life and he drops like a brick...into welfare.

That happens rarely in Europe because there is that secured payed for safety net before welfare.

And sorry, but "being poor in your pocket and being rich in your hart" does NOT bring food on the table and certainly does not make one happy!