Travel concerns

missigirl

Aug 14, 2010
I live in US and have lots of family in DR that I haven't met. I really want to meet them and go, but unfortunately I have no one to go with that I trust. There is a lot of disunion in my family (both in US and DR) and based on the tales my native DR mom has told me about some of our family in DR I don't want to go. This means I will never meet some them or ever see a sick family member again who currently lives in DR. Has anyone else been through this?

This has me very sad, but my reasoning for not going is because I honestly just feel unsafe going. Our family is from one of the towns close to haitses. I'm very cautious wherever I go but I've heard tales about how people are greedy and are only your 'friend', 'on your side' when you have money to give them in exchange for their help or service to you and I've heard tales of our own family manipulating others family members for their own gain. I've also heard tales of witchcraft used to harm people in general. Plus, I don't have strong connections to my family there and I will just be untrusting and scared the whole time.

I'm not trying to say all DR is bad or all dominicans this is just my preception about my own unique situation basaed on what I've been told. Can anyone empathize or share any thoughts?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
For me, not knowing the distant family would not be an issue at all, I can't miss or feel intrigue in people I don't know, and even less if all I've heard about them is bad, intact I'd probably be feeling quite the opposite to you. I'm not a big believer in the whole family must stick together no matter who or what kind of burden they are. As far as wanting to visit the country, I see no reason why you shouldn't have a nice and interesting time on your own, sometimes vacation where you want to absorb realtime people and cultures are best done alone. As for voodoo on the Haiti border? I had a Haitian girlfriend for a while and when I left her she told me her mother was going to put a hex on me, and the following 2 months were terrible for me,healthwise and a serious financial kicking but I put that down to bad luck and stupid decisions, I prefer to blame the voodoo as it voids me of responsibility for my disasters. I wouldn't worry about any of the country being particularly dangerous unless you go looking for it. Have fun!

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Missigirl, I understand where you're coming from. Trust your instincts, and trust your mom, and just let it go. Why worry about some miserables who will probably pull the same thing on you? What will YOU gain by knowing them? I gave up after several years of this kind of stuff, and it was for the best. And you know what? They haven`t changed a bit, and they still survive.

If you do go, you will probably be kicking yourself for going on your flight home. Just let it go. They may be related by blood, but for all you know, El Diablo was the other side of their bloodline. There are lots of great dominicanos, but unfortunately, it sounds as if you and I have some not so great ones in the family tree.

missigirl

Aug 14, 2010
Thanks Anastacio and El Forastero. Well not everyone I've heard of in my family is this way and I am do take into account the fact that well, it's a different culture, a lot of them are old school and well they just do things differently. I guess my main issue is with never meeting them at all and never seeing again a sick relative that left the states to go to DR. This is eating away at my emotions. But I just feel like given the circumstances right now I don't feel safe going.

Thanks Anastacio and El Forastero. Well not everyone I've heard of in my family is this way and I am do take into account the fact that well, it's a different culture, a lot of them are old school and well they just do things differently. I guess my main issue is with never meeting them at all and never seeing again a sick relative that left the states to go to DR. This is eating away at my emotions. But I just feel like given the circumstances right now I don't feel safe going.

I would suggest you go down on vacation to a resort and touch base with the family member that is sick and you would like to see. If you feel comfortable you could travel to the town they are from or you could have the sick relative come to you. What town are we talking about? Maybe i could refer you to a nice secure hotel closeby.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Near los Hait?ses..."
"witchcraft"

This is one 'campo" family! With a daughter who is educated and bright. Seems a shame that she cannot visit her family without any issues.

Missigirl: If you can enlighten us as to just where you will be going, How old are you>?, and when this might take place?, this can give us an idea of how to help out.

There are cars and drivers available that can whisk you in and out for your visit.
There are, as Badpiece has said, some nice places to stay where you will be comfortable and safe.

the fact that you want to come and feel the pull, is admirable for a young person. I think we can support you.

Cordially,

HB