Ed Hardy Clothing Rep. with some questions about coming to DR *please help*

EDHARDYREP

Aug 15, 2010
Hey guys, I'm looking on possibly coming to the Dominican Republic *Santiago* to gather some model pictures for our new line of Multi-Cultural Clothing line catalog coming out in the end of 2011. I have set aside about 7 days and was hoping to have some events around the area. (* University, Night Clubs, Main Street*) mainly taking photos and giving away some freebies. I have a few questions that need some answering before I consider doing this. Also understand that I will not be travailing alone, as there will be three other ED Hardy Reps. with me during this trip. I speak about 60% Spanish as both of my parents are from the Dominican Republic but I have never left the states in my 34 Years of life. Here are just a few questions,

1. Should I hire security for the week? And if so..Who? I don't want to get robbed by my own security detail.

2. How do we avoid getting shook down by the police while we are there. We are taking photos (Non-Sexual) of maybe hundreds of women & men. I have read story's of people getting arrested for stupid things (*LIKE TAKING PICTURES*). We will have voluntary contracts out on the field for them to sign before taking pictures.

3. How do we not get robbed of all the freebies if I decided to bring them. (*EX...Cups, hats, clothes, key-chains*)

4. How and Where can I get a decent automobile for the week? The nicest thing I have seen so far is a Toyota 4 Runner. I'm not a richy snob by far, but is there a luxury automobile anywhere in the country to rent for a week? Or should I just hang with whatever the security is driving?

5. Last but not least...where should I do some of these events? Usually we would do them at the newest and hottest nightclubs in that particular state we are having the event. I'm not sure if thats going to work in DR.

Thank you in advance for anything you guys can contribute in helping us make this crucial decision. We have heard that the Dominican Republic harbors some of the most beautiful women in the world and look forward to finding the select few to grace the pages of our very demanding future catalog. Look forward to some very good answers.

Thank You,
Ed Hardy Rep.
Culver City, CALIFORNIA

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
1) hire a legit local photographer or model agency to work with. They'll help you get around, find people, and will help you find great sites for your shoots. The bodyguards should be unnecessary and would draw too much attention to you. This isn't a war zone. If your concern is your equipment, bring someone with you whose job it is to keep an eye on everything

2) The local photographer or model agency will know where you can shoot and deal with any interference (or get advance approval) so you're not harassed

3) uhm, keep the freebies in a box or suitcase in your hotel room or car and take the items out as you plan to give 'em away? Same as anywhere, really.

4) ask your local photographer or model rep to arrange a driver and suv. U don't really need or want to be driven around in a luxury car... And you don't really want to drive yourself

5) If it's actually promotion you want to do, also get a local event promoter to work with you. They'll know where and how to arrange your events and get you some brand recognition.

Again DR is not a war zone. People do what you're talking about all the time.
Forget the bodyguards and Luxury cars. Spend your time, money (and questions here) asking about local contacts to work with. You'll have better success and a lot more fun while you're here.

Good luck! You've got a great product line that I'd considered previously for a DR license but never followed through.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Send me a PM on DR1 and I'll see what I can do to settle you down.
Security
Models
Help

HB

EDHARDYREP

Aug 15, 2010
Thank You

Just some further information......

There isn't any equipment to worry about, as all we carry are normal cameras with 1 or 2 special lenses. We are not doing a photo shoot on scene when we do these events, we are just gathering pictures and contact information so when and if we are ready to continue our marketing in that area we would have the information to contact the select few.

I really like the sound of the promoter as that is the type of connections we use here in the states. As for the incensing, this might be something we are also considering as we notice that the Dominican Republic (although small) has a great interest in the designer market.

I will send you that PM Mr.Hillbilly sometime today..Thank You guys so far for the help.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
While I believe you should be able to get a luxury car and drive around on it (as I would, and yes there are luxury cars just not on the biggies rental companies as Avis and Budget), CFA gave you the best answers to your questions.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Hey guys, I'm looking on possibly coming to the Dominican Republic *Santiago* to gather some model pictures for our new line of Multi-Cultural Clothing line catalog coming out in the end of 2011. I have set aside about 7 days and was hoping to have some events around the area. (* University, Night Clubs, Main Street*) mainly taking photos and giving away some freebies. I have a few questions that need some answering before I consider doing this. Also understand that I will not be travailing alone, as there will be three other ED Hardy Reps. with me during this trip. I speak about 60% Spanish as both of my parents are from the Dominican Republic but I have never left the states in my 34 Years of life. Here are just a few questions,

1. Should I hire security for the week? And if so..Who? I don't want to get robbed by my own security detail.

Thank You,
Ed Hardy Rep.
Culver City, CALIFORNIA

I have the solution to your problem!!!
My friend Luis who used to be the driver and the bodyguard of one of the richest man in town now is doing of taxi driver, military trained and a very responsible and reliable guy, a brave man and always carrying his 9 millimeter with him.
He owns a nice minivan I hired him hundreds of time in the past when my transportation business was overbooked.

JJ

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
A few questions to gauge where you're at at this stage of the game-

1) Are you planning on using professional Dominican models or just nice-looking "jovenes" off the street?

2) What marketing research have you done that would tell you selling Ed Hardy clothing will do well in the DR? I'm not saying the brand won't sell, just asking what type of research you've done as to the financial feasibility/sustainability of the Dominican market for your particular brand.

3) Are you going to have events in conjunction with local night life venues and/or malls?

4) Are you planning on contacting radio stations for purposes of marketing said events, or do you plan on going by word of mouth?

5) Have you thought of contacting the latest musical groups the "jevitos" are into and sponsoring them to wear your brand to get the buzz going?

Reactions: Lucille

EDHARDYREP

Aug 15, 2010
Stage of the game.

Thank You Berzin for your reply...we are currently doing our research about the Dominican Republic in the next few months. This is an endeavor that includes Brazil, Spain, and other top notch Latin areas. At this moment we are just interested in meeting the people, area, and atmosphere to see if our brand would fit the Dominican Republic. I have seen many posts about Dominican's having a broad knowledge of Premier Brand Culture. As for your questions I will answer them in order....

1. Are you planning on using professional Dominican models or just nice-looking "jovenes" off the street? Our catalogues have always featured fresh young faces...We are more interested in the locals but invite everyone to attend our events. Mainly the age range of this market is 18-28.

2. What marketing research have you done that would tell you selling Ed Hardy clothing will do well in the DR? I'm not saying the brand won't sell, just asking what type of research you've done as to the financial feasibility/sustainability of the Dominican market for your particular brand. As previously mentioned...we are currently doing research and this trip will be part of that research.

3. Are you going to have events in conjunction with local night life venues and/or malls? Yes.

4. Are you planning on contacting radio stations for purposes of marketing said events, or do you plan on going by word of mouth? As we get closer to these events we will decide our plan of action. I don't think we deem it necessary to involve radio stations at this time (Although we will most likely have tons of free give aways for them when we arrive). Nothing is out of the picture but this might be something I will discuss with a PR person in the Santiago area before we arrive.

5. Have you thought of contacting the latest musical groups the "jevitos" are into and sponsoring them to wear your brand to get the buzz going? Just like in the United States artist can be difficult to deal with sometimes. We would have no problem giving some clothing to the current artist who will be playing those nights that we will be in DR but as for contacting them and sponsoring them, I don't believe that will be in our plans this first trip out.

I think as you can see, we are trying to make this an effect trip for 7 or so days, but at the same time we are not trying to create chaos. Maybe some photo booths, freebies, and nightclub events. Understand you will also have 3 or 4 Ed Hardy Reps at the end of the week trying to relax and enjoy part of our trip *privately*. So now that you see where our game plan is so far...what further advise can you give?