How to cut a Ferrari in two !

Status
Not open for further replies.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yikes...bad accident. Hopefully the driver survived. I don't think the car just broke into two pieces. It looks like they cut the car up using the jaws of life (look at the clean cut lines). If that's the case then it is a good thing to know that they are using that now in The DR. That tool can save a lot of lives.

If the car just broke like that then that's pretty bad engineering.

Reactions: mike l

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
The clean lines you are seeing belongs to the piece that comes to cover the retractable top, he was probably riding with top off and showing off. The impact probably cut the left part of the chassis and they bend the car open to take the guy out.

It's not bad engineering, it's just physic :ermm:, at that speed and a side impact, unless you're driving an H1, something will break.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I flashed my lights 4 times, but would he dim his broights? Nooooooooo...

:cheeky:

So I put them in hydrogen fusion mode...;)

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Se Vende

Be careful on your next ferrari purchase...the dominicans will weld that sucker back together and sell her as a "newly imported from nueve york".:cheeky:

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
According to what I know the driver will make it, some broken bones (ribs) and a few minor things.

A lot can be saved from the vehicle, engine, transmission, f1, wheels, etc...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
his facebook page does have few RIP notes so it does not look like "the driver will make it"...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
his facebook page does have few RIP notes so it does not look like "the driver will make it"...

I don't know how you can see his Facebook as it seems to be private. Anyhow, I don't care how rich he may have been, still a tragedy...I'm sure he had parents who are still alive. Worst thing a parent could go through is to see their kid die. RIP...

May 12, 2005
No way could a driver survive an impact like that. Spinning and slamming into a untility pole could very easily split a car like that in 2.

Condorito

Aug 2, 2010
Young guy did not make it..racing a Ferrari on a Saturday night thru busy streets - probably drunk too- is a sure way to get killed or kill innocent bystanders.

Happens everywhere where testosterone, alcohol, powerful cars and disregard for the law occurs. Sorry for the loss of such a young man, but he had it coming!

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Why the gloating ?

I know of this kid because he is friends of one of my family members. Supposedly he is a pretty good kid. So what if his parents got him a ferrari ? They could. People run red lights all the time. I have done it by accident on more than one occasion.

It seem like people are saying that he is getting what he deserves by being uppity and driving a car that they could never afford. I have noticed that many foreigners dont like seeing Dominicans having more than them and immediately criticize them. Have some respect for his family. If this had been any other type of car I dont think we would have heard these comments.

Reactions: mike l and AlterEgo

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Lawlessness on City Avenues

So what if his parents got him a ferrari ?
There is nothing wrong with that.
(Although they may now regret it.)

People run red lights all the time.
... which does not make it good and lawful practice.

But you do not get it.
The impudent circumstances in which this "accident" happened are unforgiveable.
It was by sheer 'luck' that no innocent people were also killed.

IMO, if papi and mami have the money to buy him a Ferrari, they should have also bought him a race track...

Those races on Saturday nights on Abraham Lincoln are an idiocy.

donP

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I know of this kid because he is friends of one of my family members. Supposedly he is a pretty good kid. So what if his parents got him a ferrari ? They could. People run red lights all the time. I have done it by accident on more than one occasion.

It seem like people are saying that he is getting what he deserves by being uppity and driving a car that they could never afford. I have noticed that many foreigners dont like seeing Dominicans having more than them and immediately criticize them. Have some respect for his family. If this had been any other type of car I dont think we would have heard these comments.
I'm sorry for the family's loss.

But their kid was a dumba$$. Only an unthinking, selfish idiot would go screaming through the Santo Domingo streets at speeds fast enough for a pole to sever his car.

Darwinism.

The BEST news is no innocent persons were maimed or killed by this kids actions.

It has nothing to do with a Ferrari. This could just as easily have happened with a propane powered Corolla. The Ferrari just made it more newsworthy.

Reactions: donP

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Well, let me be the merchant of political incorrectness, but... isn't it great it was JUST a telegraph post?

In Puerto Plata we got ourselves a little candidate for the same end too... a brand new yellow US sports car... I can hear it race up and down the Malecon, V8 roaring every weekend, from the safe distance of my home, 3 blocks off! Apparently, it seems especially important to hit top speeds nearing the Christal whore house INTERSECTION... typical "motoconcho"-brain-(less) with a handful of cash attitude... wants to impress the 50 Peso hookers! :tired: whuepah! :bored: There 'ya go!

Quite frankly? I hope he meets his fate at a power pole too, BEFORE he hits anybody else.

Being at the wheel of powerful cars, requires appropriate roads AND a "pilot" mindset of RESPONSIBILITY, DISCIPLINE and EXPERIENCE and REGARD for others! We certainly do NOT have the ideal roads around and... well no, I won't say that... well you know... :cheeky: :bunny:
But oh well... everybody fills in the blanks in it's own way, I guess.

But it does appear that money alone, even tons of it, does not help overcome the "YO mas primero", "YO, mas chevere", "YO, mas mucho" and "bst, bst... miraME" complex.

... J-D.

Chuck Berry said:
... well, you know... they come - they go,
but Rock'n'Roll staid.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Safety Concept?

I don't think the car just broke into two pieces. It looks like they cut the car up using the jaws of life (look at the clean cut lines). If that's the case then it is a good thing to know that they are using that now in The DR. That tool can save a lot of lives.
If the car just broke like that then that's pretty bad engineering.

I don't think that those scissors are being used here.
At least I have never seen them in pictures of accidents and not in this (well documented) one either.

On the other hand there have been discussions whether Ferraris tend to break up and some see a safety concept in it.

Ask the Best and Brightest: Why Do Ferraris Break into Two? | The Truth About Cars

donP

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
You guys are right, the driver died. I didn't know him personally but i know his mechanic. He was supposed to be stable but obviously things got ****ed up. I have to agree to what's been said, if you want to push a super car to the limits, do it on a racetrack.
There is a discussion among Ferrari owners and enthusiasts about how the 360 can break easily in case of a strong side impact. I wonder if the driver had his safety belt on ...
I still don't believe the "cutting" of the car by firemen, first they have that kind of equipment here, second they could extract the driver from the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.