Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mad for Mint

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mad for Mint

So I have been craving chocolate mint chip ice cream for a couple of months now. Even a York Peppermint Patty would do..... but I cannot find the ice cream, nor the peppermint patties.

At PriceSmart today I came upon an ice cream maker that cost just a tad more than I would pay for it in the U.S. Bought it.

Now I am prepared to fix my own cravings. I found two recipes online for chocolate mint chip ice cream. One uses fresh mint, but makes a custard type ice cream and has so many steps it would be an all-day process.

The second recipe calls for peppermint extract. I looked in Santiago and I looked on the North Coast, but cannot find peppermint extract anywhere. (In the U.S., sometimes extracts are sold in pharmacies, strangely enough, but I haven't seen them in pharmacies here.)

Anyone have an idea where I can come up with peppermint extract and FINALLY fix my craving for good?

Lindsey

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Not quite the same but I substitute creme de menthe.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you get Mint Oreos down there or grasshopper cookies? A Mint Oreo Ice cream sounds amazing.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Mint Oreo ice cream DOES sound amazing....don't feed my yearning, PeterInBrat!

What I see in the stores is Oreos with green filling that has the same white flavor, not mint. (Seems kind of a shame....)

And, Abuela, if worse come to worst, I will do a bit of the steaming mint in milk, but then add Creme de Menthe- not much! The alcohol is supposed to do the ice cream some good....prevent it from getting too hard...don't know for sure, as I am new at this.

Lindsey

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You could also try melting mint candy in a small dish of water in the microwave then adding it into your cream mix. I'd still use crushed OREO cookies with it. No thin mint cookies in the DR???

I used to make ice cream cake by alternating crushed OREOs with ice cream in a cake pan. Start with a layer of ice cream then add a 1/2" of crushed OREOs. Add a little melted butter to the OREOs to make them stiffen up. Top with ice cream then use choc syrup to make a Napolian design on top:

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    No thin mint cookies in the DR???
    :
    Thin mint cookies? If only there WERE! THEN I would have NOT had to buy an ice cream maker, or crave mint chocolate chip ice cream or York Peppermint Patties!

Thin mint cookies would do it for me!

In the meantime, I will first try steaming the mint in milk, then adding a bit of Creme de Menthe as Abuela suggested.

The only mint hard candies I found were spearment. I don't think that result would be the same.....

Lindsey

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever thought about growing mint yourself? It is just a plant. You can make drinks, cookies or ice cream.

http://www.ehow.com/how_320_grow-mint.html
    Last edited by Alyonka; 08-15-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe someone can bring you some seeds from the US or Europe?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If you mix a TBS or two of Cream de Menth with powdered sugar, you can make a paste then form pastels with them. Put them in the fridge/freezer to chill then dip in melted dark choc(just over melting point) with a small amount of shortening in it. This also works with Coco Casa. A little liquid goes a long way so don't start with a full cup of the stuff. A 1/4 cup batch will go a long way.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Baskin Robbins had chocolate chip mint ice cream last week in Sto Dgo (yummy!) but that does you no good unless you are near one of their stores.

Mint grows in the DR - ask a local housewife if she knows of any growing nearby. Mint has a square stem below the leaves and thatīs how you can recognize it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast