Thread: apricot seeds

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default apricot seeds

From my last vacation I brought apricot seeds. As there are not so many left I cannot make to much mistakes. Does someone know how to plant them? I followed other discussions where some poeple crack them, others trailed them, but nobody had much success.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

it is DR not mistakes made by people. i don't think you can grow apricots unless you are in jarabacoa or constanza. it is simply too hot

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

A Google search for "apricot growing" turned up a lot of information. Here's one of the more useful articles for growing from seed:
    Growing Apricot Trees

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Since wild strawberry survived the second sommer in Sosua, I don`t give up. (Tu be honest, they don`t have fruits often)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Ben, thank you, this article is realy usefull. If it works, you will get some apricot in about 5 years. I googled in german, but no article was that good.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It works

Ben`s link recommend to put the seeds in the fridge to simulate winter for one month. So far it works, they grow and they started to grow already in the fridge!!!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried to grow apples, peaches, pears even olives here.
    They grew, yes. In fact the apples seemed to do very well and it looked promising....
    But, in the long run it is just not worth it, trust me.
    I put a lot of effort into trying this out and spent countless hours of preparing the right soil (PH), germinating the seeds (scarifying and stratification), growing the seedlings, adding natural, organic fertilizer tea and even tried to talk to the little specimens to give them hope and a bright future.
    Again, don't waste your time, I already did that to tell you it won't work.
    After the first year the peaches just withered, the pears turned brown and then eventually died, the apples did make it to the 2nd season but then they too suffered from the heat and lack of cool weather periods. The olives, well they are still alive but not doing well at all.
    dv8 gave good advise...try in a much cooler region, Jarabacoa or Constanza, that's your best bet.
    Best wishes,
    Reese
    Last edited by reese_in_va; 10-03-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: not enough coffee