Stop Press .. "Motoconchos raise prices"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Sosua news are now reporting that getting out and about is to become a little bit more expensive in Sosua! The Mototaxis are being "forced" to increase their fares because of the hike in gas prices. As a result the 'conchos have higher costs and therefore fewer earnings. Whilst declining to reveal what the new prices will be the spokesman said that he was sorry that prices were rising - but he has a pregnant girlfriend to support!!
You couldn't make it up!!

Just wondering if any DR1'ers have come across this from their local/regular 'concho driver?
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Last edited:

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
Did you think Conchos are immune to inflation ? maybe you thought they should do other work , such as ...............

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
The tax has not gone into effect yet and they are talking about doubling the price. So if the tax is brought on gradually as now agreed on and amounts to i belive 9 pesos or so and they raise the price of a gallon by 1 peso a month so if they double the fare then one fare equals about 50 gallons of gas (tax increase on 50 gallons). The average moto probably uses 2-3 gallons a day so on one fare they pay for 10+ days of gas increase. Where does the rest of the money (from the 200 other fares a week ) go? The way i figure it that amounts ot an extra $5000RD or more a week or so for someone.
Same thing will happen to the price of produce, supplies etc. You will see a 10%-50% increase in prices to cover a 9 peso gas increase over the year.
Must be Dominican math...

Bob K

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
maybe they will price themselves out of business with a bit of luck.....I have never used one and dont intend to start

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Who talks about doubling the price ? , not the spokesman .

"In the evening, after 19:00 o'clock prices rise by 100%."

When the rise comes in, if indeed it does, I am more than happy to pay a little extra to support them if it includes enabling the conchonistas to become legal by buying insurance etc. However they will price themselves out of business if they are not careful if they base their rise purely on the increase in the price of gas without making any effort to stay within the law!

Did you think Conchos are immune to inflation ? maybe you thought they should do other work , such as ................
<!-- / message -->
How do you know what I think? We all suffer from the effects of inflation. I never advocated them doing anything else, I was merely pointing out the article in Sosua News and the fact that there are no rates or distances posted. Only the fact that the spokesman has a pregnant girlfriend so he has to increase his fares - that's hardly a reason for all to follow suit is it?
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

<!-- controls -->

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
they could learn how to make something useful while they are sat about doing nothing waiting for fares- I suggest embroidery

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
The tax has not gone into effect yet and they are talking about doubling the price..
Same thing will happen to the price of produce, supplies etc. You will see a 10%-50% increase in prices to cover a 9 peso gas increase over the year.
Must be Dominican math...

Bob K

This is one of the best news on DR.1 in the last four years! Finally! We deserved it!

With these new astronomical stupidly-greedy unrealistic deal killing prices nobody will use those conchos and our streets have no more the current horrible noise, smoke, air pollution and dirt.

With the above mentionned food price increase even those few remaining tourists will stop visiting DR and nobody will be willing to relocate/move here from the developed world. It means - no more crowd, no more crime, no more walking junk, no more drugs, no more garbage in the street, on the beach and in the water!! What a Paradise!!! Thank you Sir!!!

I LOVE DOMINICAN GOVERNMENT! THE HONESTEST AND SMARTEST GOVERNMENT IN THE WORLD!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
frankly speaking i'd rather walk than take a motoconcho, much to the amazement of dominicans who never seem to walk anywhere :)
and no, it is not about money: i like walking and it is way safer plus i do have a car i tank for free so gas prices do not bother me at all.

cab

Aug 9, 2010
Does anyone know if the price increase is already in effect?
Last week I hiked a motoconcho twice (from Janet's supermercado to Embocca). I've been told that 25 pesos was sufficient, but I've been giving about 30 to 35 pesos and I've never had any complaints.
Yesterday, I did the same route and gave 35 pesos, but received a grunt and an obvious disapproval. Today I also hiked one from Janet's to Tropococco, gave 35 pesos, but again received a very definite disappointment. I obviously walked away without trying to bring up a discussion, but the next time I hike one I do want to give what is accepted as the norm. I for one do not want to get into an argument with any of these guys. What do you folks think?
BTW, the timings for all of these hikes were before 19:00.

Status
Not open for further replies.