disability

alina2838

Apr 20, 2009
i am a 41 year old disabled american citizen living in the dominican republic i recieve benefits here in the dominican republic
MY QUESTION IS IF I GET MARRIED AND STAY LIVING HERE IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC DO MY BENEFITS CHANGE
???

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
i am a 41 year old disabled american citizen living in the dominican republic i recieve benefits here in the dominican republic
MY QUESTION IS IF I GET MARRIED AND STAY LIVING HERE IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC DO MY BENEFITS CHANGE
???

Disability pension from the USA?

Best place to get a correct answer would be from the people that are paying you and making the laws.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Social Security Disability benefits would not be affected. If you are also receiving SSI, it's possible that benefit could be reduced based on your spouses income, just as it would in the US, but unlike in the states, I'm not sure they would have any way of even knowing you were married in the DR (let alone your spouses income) unless you told them.

alina2838

Apr 20, 2009
Social Security Disability benefits would not be affected. If you are also receiving SSI, it's possible that benefit could be reduced based on your spouses income, just as it would in the US, but unlike in the states, I'm not sure they would have any way of even knowing you were married in the DR (let alone your spouses income) unless you told them.[/QUOT

THEY HAVE OFFICES HERE IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC JUST LIKE IN THE STATES
IVE BEEN THERE ON A FEW OCCASIONS BUT SINCE TODAY IS A HOLIDAY HERE I CANT GET ANY INFORMATION UNTIL TOMMORROW

Jan 9, 2004
If you are currently receiving...

???

SSDI, your benefits will not change if you marry. Now, if you marry and have a child, your benefits increase.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
heyAlina, while in the DR, do like a Dominican and just live with your sweetie, and say you are married..That is what most Dominicans do,,,